Sen. Murkowski mounting write-in bid for Senate

Sep 17, 2010 Full story: The Topeka Capital-Journal 142

U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, who lost Alaska's GOP primary last month in a stunning upset to a tea-party backed rival, announced Friday that she's mounting a write-in candidacy in a bid to hold onto her job.

Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
IRA-Pittsfield

Clifton Park, NY

#1 Sep 18, 2010
Sounds like a sore-Loser.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#3 Sep 18, 2010
lisa...what part of, "the people of alaska don't want you to represent them" do you NOT understand?
Ross

Lady Lake, FL

#6 Sep 18, 2010
This woman is just one more elitist progressive who thinks she has a right to a seat in Cogress. She needs to quit acting like a spoiled child and GROW UP!!!!!
Gladys

Chesapeake, VA

#7 Sep 18, 2010
Don't cry for me Anchorage- I am entitled!
Shady Lady

Westmont, IL

#8 Sep 18, 2010
Maybe she like to lose. Her Daddy had the Senate seat for decades. They treat it lake a family heirloom. She will get the SEIU votes, and the poor, and unfortunate votes, because they are told how to vote by the SEIU. She will not win, and Daddy can buy her a consolation prize.

“President DOWNGRADE..Ha Ha Ha!”

Since: Sep 09

Lady Lake, FL

#9 Sep 18, 2010
Don't go away mad lisa, just go away.

Since: Jan 07

Scranton, PA

#10 Sep 18, 2010
There is something undignified, if not desperate, about Murkowski's write-in bid. Her actions seem to reinforce the idea that there can be no losers. Just as the championshp team in youth sports was once the only one awarded a trophy, now every team receives the same one. Some schools no longer award the student with the best academic performance with valedictory honors because those who came close cannot also be acknowledged as "the best."

In real life, competition establishes winners and losers. In this case, Miller won the primary, not overwhelmingly, but win he did. Murkowski's apparent sense of entitlement is misguided. If she gave herself time, she would see that some of this has to do with her animosity toward former Alaska Governor Palin, who promoted Miller and the anti-incumbant, anti-dynastic mood of the voters. Her decision is both personal and political.

I have read that Nixon was considering challenging the outcome of the 1960 election because of reported voting irregularities in some areas. Former President Hoover stepped in and told him that for the good of the country, he should just step aside. His time would come. Wisely, he did. For the good of the order in Alaska, Murkowski should just gather up her toys and go home. Playtime is over.
Seeking truth

Dearborn, MI

#11 Sep 18, 2010
You go girl! If you stand for nothing, you fall for anything.
obskeptic

Detroit, MI

#12 Sep 18, 2010
It is obvious that this whole time she was a closet operative for the democrats since they are the only party that will benefit from her decision to try and split up the vote. These are the politicians that need to go away, but it will have to be removed kicking and screaming apparently.

“Freedom Demands Responsibility”

Since: Aug 09

21st Century

#13 Sep 18, 2010
Seeking truth wrote:
You go girl! If you stand for nothing, you fall for anything.
Woof, Sucking Tooth, leave it to you, a liberal lapdog. My guess is Murkowski is staying in the campaign for completely monetary reasons. She gets to keep her campaign funds as an active candidate, and still solicit. Alaskans will see through this like a laser. This makes her opponent look even stronger. What a wh*re!

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#14 Sep 18, 2010
The teabaggers appear to be unhappy Senator Murkowski is exercising her right to seek reelection as an independent write in. Get a grip folks. It's not like she connived and denied Alaska voters the right to make their choice. The voters still decide who will be Senator.

If Joe Miller has the support of the entire Republican Party, he should withstand the challenge. And he has Sarah Palin to stump for him in their home state of Alaska.

The Palin endorsement carries weight in Alaska, doesn't it? Stay tuned!
Jack Mehoff

Doylestown, PA

#15 Sep 18, 2010
Decent patriotic Americans should do everything they can to stop the treasonous teabaggers! Teabaggers have absolutely no respect for individual freedom and are dominated by 'religious' whack jobs!

21st Century

#16 Sep 18, 2010
PooPoo Platter wrote:
The teabaggers appear to be unhappy Senator Murkowski is exercising her right to seek reelection as an independent write in. Get a grip folks. It's not like she connived and denied Alaska voters the right to make their choice. The voters still decide who will be Senator.
If Joe Miller has the support of the entire Republican Party, he should withstand the challenge. And he has Sarah Palin to stump for him in their home state of Alaska.
Woof, Crap Plate, This is a parallel to Florida. Joe Miller is in the position of Rubio. Murkowsi is acting like Crist. My guess is just as in Florida, the DNC is in the shadows egging Murkowski on. They've probably promised her if she wins and switches parties, she'll be given good committee assignments. It hasn't worked in Florida, and it won't work in Alaska.
acorn obama

Tampa, FL

#17 Sep 18, 2010
it is GREAT to see the TEA PARTY draining the GOP swamp & the Republicans now embracing the Tea Party of repubs, Independents, and pissed-off moderate dumbocrats!!!

the dumbocraps should be so lucky to drain their corrupt swamp since pelosi didn't bother to do so!

any way it is too late for the dumbocraps this november - the TEA PARTY & Republicans are gonna kick the dimwitcrats corrupt & lying ass!

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#18 Sep 18, 2010
IRA-Pittsfield wrote:
Sounds like a sore-Loser.
Sounds like another elitest hag. Have a pity party.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#19 Sep 18, 2010
PooPoo Platter wrote:
The **** appear to be unhappy Senator Murkowski is exercising her right to seek reelection as an independent write in. Get a grip folks. It's not like she connived and denied Alaska voters the right to make their choice. The voters still decide who will be Senator.
Christine O'Donnell hits the stage at Values Voter Summit

The conservative movement was told to curl up in a fetal position and just stay there for the next eight years, thank you very much. Well, how things have changed," O'Donnell said, to cheers.

O'Donnell, who defeated Castle by a 6-point margin despite sustained attacks on her misstatements and financial troubles – past and present — repeatedly chided "the ruling class" and championed "a rowdy revolution of reason."
"The small elite don't get us. They call us wacky. They call us wingnuts. We call us,'We the people,'" she said to sustained applause. "We're loud, we're rowdy, we're passionate.… It isn't tame, but boy, it sure is good."

She also addressed the personal scrutiny and criticisms she has endured since her candidacy vaulted into the national spotlight just weeks ago, when she appeared to be gaining momentum against Castle in her third shot at a Senate seat.

"Will they attack us? Yes. Will they smear our backgrounds and distort our records? Undoubtedly. Will they lie about us, harass our families, namecall to try to intimidate us? They will. There's nothing safe about it. But is it worth it?" she said.
"Well, let me ask you. Is freedom worth it?" she asked, as the crowd chanted "Yes." "Is America worth it?"

She used her middle-class upbringing in New Jersey to briefly explain one of the most perplexing charges that has dogged her campaign — why it took her more than 15 years to earn her college degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University.
"I never had the high-paying job or the company car. It took me over a decade to pay off my student loans. I never had to worry about where to dock my yacht to reduce my taxes," she said, jabbing at Sen. John Kerry for dodging a six-figure yacht tax in his home state.'"And I'll bet most of you didn't, either."
O'Donnell argued that while Beltway elites are attempting to marginalize their movement, it’s conservatives who represent the core of mainstream America.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/423...
Kline

Leavenworth, KS

#20 Sep 18, 2010
Now I see why Republicans eat their young.
Dave

Sanford, FL

#21 Sep 18, 2010
Jack Mehoff wrote:
Decent patriotic Americans should do everything they can to stop the treasonous teabaggers! Teabaggers have absolutely no respect for individual freedom and are dominated by 'religious' whack jobs!
It appears that you have been out of the country for awhile. What party is forcing healthcare on us? What party forced GM to fire their CEO? What party forced GM to sell part of their company to the union? The list goes on and on. It is always the party with "good intentions" but "unintended consequences" Kiss individual freedoms good-bye in the name of what is good for the country. BS

21st Century

#22 Sep 18, 2010
Kline wrote:
Now I see why Republicans eat their young.
Woof, Herr Kline, "No one is so blind as one that will not see". What you are witnessing is this, Conservatives have developed a taste for RINO and are having a BBQ.
Why I vote Republican

Decatur, AL

#23 Sep 18, 2010
Where oh where have sane Republicans gone why did they leave me here all alone. I searched the country over and thought I'd found true love but they brought in the Tea and wham they were gone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Mark Begich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Takes Center Stage In Kentucky's Senate Race Sep 17 Zeppelin 1
Obama's immigration decision could roil 2014 el... Sep 7 Le Jimbo 38
Harsh ad gives Begich re-election bid a hiccup Sep 5 TerryE 1
Senator Begich pulls campaign commercial using ... Sep 4 Monty Ananconda 1
5White House suggests delay on immigration reform Aug 30 Le Jimbo 5
Alaska becomes crucial frontier for Senate Demo... Aug 25 bottlecap 1
Texas' Perry smiles for mug shot, gets ice cream Aug '14 F Elizondo Jb 3
•••

Senator Mark Begich People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE