AP sources: Individuals would be requ...

AP sources: Individuals would be required to buy health coverage in Senate bill

There are 105 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Oct 25, 2009, titled AP sources: Individuals would be required to buy health coverage in Senate bill. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

Businesses would not be required to provide health insurance under legislation being readied for Senate debate, but large firms would owe significant penalties if any worker needed government subsidies to buy coverage on their own, according to Democratic officials familiar with talks on the bill.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
cjrian

Denver, CO

#102 Dec 1, 2009
BTW, Tony, Roe v Wade declared ACCESS to abortions as a privacy right, but did NOT dictate that the general public pay for the procedure.
Fabioso

Tallahassee, FL

#103 Dec 1, 2009
cjrian wrote:
BTW, Tony, Roe v Wade declared ACCESS to abortions as a privacy right, but did NOT dictate that the general public pay for the procedure.
True enough. That just leaves it as a policy decision.

Is it good policy? Economically, it probably is. I am personally opposed to abortion, but I don't think it is the government's business to regulate personal medical decisions at this level.

What is clear is that people do not necessarily have a right to dictate how their taxes are specifically used outside the legislative process. "I don't want my tax dollars funding abortions" isn't a very good argument.

I don't want my tax dollars paying to kill people in other countries outside of specific circumstances, but I still have to pay taxes.
raysmom

Pueblo, CO

#104 Dec 1, 2009
Thanks, CJ- me too!

Interesting about NorplantII- time for the guys to take a little more responsibility, in my female opinion! LOL!

And to clarify, I want to say that I think this policy should apply to SSDI beneficiaries, also. Like my neighbor, the one on full disability while he rides his big Harley around, buys 60K SUV's to cart around his 6 kids with his Russian mail order wife to Montessori school and then goes shopping with food stamps and trashes his property and everyone's near him! Or the MANY clients we have, or have cases against, who are on SSDI because they are morphine and heroin addicts, and having babies for the money and hiring lawyers they don't intend to pay. It's not just in the slums- not at all.

Yes, there is a middle ground between oppression and personal responsibility, and we need to reach for higher ground and live by it.

“What Happened to Democracy?”

Since: May 08

Bronx

#105 Dec 1, 2009
cjrian wrote:
Levonorgestrel Implants (Norplant II) is the male version of Norplant and is currently in clinical trials. That'd be a good policy.
One issue in all this is what is being taught to the kids. Yeah, the "Just say No" campaign (of the Right) was a bit simplistic. On the other hand (the Left), is the declaration that "the kids are gonna do it anyway", and teaching the Kama Sutra, omitting personal responsibility.
Personal preferrences? Norplant and Levonorgestrel (if it passes the trials). If anything should be provided for free through the Medical system, this should be IT! Reinstate the 5 year lifetime limitation on TANF bennies. If the parents are not self sufficient by then, the kids are probably not being cared for and might be removed, unless proof of alternate care is given. Revamp the TANF and Child Support system to ENcourage rather than DIScourage Fathers to take PERSONAL responsibility for their kids, and start teaching THIS in schools. It take two parents, a Dad and a Mom, to properly (best) raise kids. Re-stigmatize illigitimate pregnancy, somewhat, by sending pregnant girls to alternative schools and getting rid of school day-cares. Illegitimacy may be fine for the Hollywood "elite", but is an economic anchor when dealing with "hereditary" poverty.
A little fire under the feet motivates greatly!
BTW, glad to hear that the Mr. got a clean bill of health.
Thankfully, I don't fall under the category of a "deadbeat dad". I've been divorced for 10 years, have two children, see them every other weekend, and have always paid my child support - I even put the check in my ex-wife's hand when I pick my kids up. I agree with you, there are too many deadbeat fathers out there, but some of the laws don't make sense, like taking the drivers license away from a deadbeat father. How's he going to get to work? And, many of the mothers wait for years to finally do something about it. It's a shame - many mothers are so mad at the father, they take nothing in trade for keeping the kids away from the father. You would have to go to family court to see the circus - so sad and unfair to the children.

Keep all deadbeat fathers on probation until they've paid up in full - make them do community service also.

Remember, the mothers take advantage also. My friend, divorced also, was paying for the home they once all lived in, plus child support. She hooked up with a younger man, who lives with her, and every year, she goes to court for an increase in support. His son is 17, working, the boyfriend works also, and he only has enough money left to live in a rented room. This is not uncommon. And very unfair.

“What Happened to Democracy?”

Since: May 08

Bronx

#106 Dec 1, 2009
raysmom wrote:
Thanks, CJ- me too!
Interesting about NorplantII- time for the guys to take a little more responsibility, in my female opinion! LOL!
And to clarify, I want to say that I think this policy should apply to SSDI beneficiaries, also. Like my neighbor, the one on full disability while he rides his big Harley around, buys 60K SUV's to cart around his 6 kids with his Russian mail order wife to Montessori school and then goes shopping with food stamps and trashes his property and everyone's near him! Or the MANY clients we have, or have cases against, who are on SSDI because they are morphine and heroin addicts, and having babies for the money and hiring lawyers they don't intend to pay. It's not just in the slums- not at all.
Yes, there is a middle ground between oppression and personal responsibility, and we need to reach for higher ground and live by it.
I could never understand how someone that can work, does not. I have epilepsy, take 400 mg. of Dilantin and 150 mg. of phenobarbital daily, and I still work. Some people have no work ethics I guess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maria Cantwell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Water, historic sites are subjects of Washingto... Jul '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Sen. Schumer helps fight city's homeless problem Apr '16 Chucks False Charity 1
News Senate passes energy bill with overwhelming bip... Apr '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Hillary campaigns in Everett: Presidential cand... Mar '16 NAFTAclinton 1
News Forest Service likely to get more money to figh... (Dec '15) Jan '16 billiesamolesrer 3
News Congress Lifted the Crude Oil Export Ban, Which... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News What Washington state's wildfires tell us about... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 6
More from around the web