Speculators blamed for high oil prices

Speculators blamed for high oil prices

There are 649 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 15, 2011, titled Speculators blamed for high oil prices. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Feel like you're being robbed every time you fill the gas tank? Not sure who to blame? Try Wall Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 33
Next Last

“Freedom and responsibility”

Since: Dec 10

St. Paul

#669 May 23, 2011
Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Q&A: What's Behind High Gas Prices?
Then who sets the prices?
Oil companies don't set crude-oil prices; the global market does. Basically, the market decides what people are willing to pay at a certain moment in time. And a lot of that has to do with the fact that the world is getting richer. Countries like India and China are growing, and that has created more demand for oil and gas. In the United States, we're still going full throttle when it comes to energy use. At the same time, there have been supply disruptions and political instability in major oil-producing nations. So you have a situation where demand has been growing steadily and inexorably, and the system of supply is quite vulnerable. That's the basic recipe for high prices.
Are there any short-term fixes?
The market solutions are: a) increase supply; and b) decrease demand. The seasonal crunch in refining capacity should ease in the next few weeks. But unless peace suddenly breaks out around the globe, crude oil supplies are likely to remain tight. So decreasing demand is our best hope in the short run.
What about long-term fixes?
They're the same: increase supply and decrease demand. But in the long term, we have more opportunities to do this, by developing new oil fields, building new refineries, replacing gas guzzlers with gas sippers, and searching for alternative fuels.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
Say, would you let Jonny Boy Left Coast know what school you attended?

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#670 May 23, 2011
Jonny Boy Central Coast wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Bubba. IT WAS HIS STATEMENT ON FACT.
NEXT
get your cheater glasses on there was a question mark after, looks like this > ?

Since: May 10

Marina, CA

#671 May 23, 2011
jw in the grove wrote:
<quoted text>get your cheater glasses on there was a question mark after, looks like this > ?
Sorry Bubba, you are to much of a winger.

POS

He made a statement about slave laboe THEN asked if the "liberals" were really concerned they would end it!

B*TCH isn't Forehead Insannity on?

NEXT

Saint Paul, MN

#672 May 23, 2011
Wake Up wrote:
An Apple iPad 2 currently sells for $729. Its actual cost to make with FoxConn Chinese workers [who make a whopping $185 / month AFTER their big 30% pay-raise] is $292.77 which means a gross margin of 54%.
If made in the U.S. the same iPad2 would cost $617.77 to make, thus a gross margin of 15.25%.
To keep the same 54% margin, the “Made in America” iPad would cost $1,144.02.
Questions to ponder:
If Apple would forsake its slave laborers and manufacture iPads and iPhones in the good old U.S. of Obama, would you pay the higher price?
Would Apple consider a lower profit margin to lower the price a little?
If you are an Apple shareholder, do you ONLY care about the uptick? http://www.zerohedge.com/article/how-much-wou...
Where's the demands of a "windfall profit" tax on Apple and it's "obscene" profits?
you lefties, bunch of hypocrites.
see now look, and notice the question mark after would you pay the higher price. see barney
Wake Up

Nashville, TN

#673 May 23, 2011
jw in the grove wrote:
<quoted text>see now look, and notice the question mark after would you pay the higher price. see barney
I appreciate you pointing out the "?", but you keep trying to argue with this fella on facts, whether it's pointing out what was in front of his face for him and all the world to see in my post, or other facts that contradict his lefty world view.

you can't argue with someone who just sticks their hands over their ears and sings "la la la la la" to ignore things that could shatter their precious, carefully crafted, world view.

Saint Paul, MN

#674 May 23, 2011
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate you pointing out the "?", but you keep trying to argue with this fella on facts, whether it's pointing out what was in front of his face for him and all the world to see in my post, or other facts that contradict his lefty world view.
you can't argue with someone who just sticks their hands over their ears and sings "la la la la la" to ignore things that could shatter their precious, carefully crafted, world view.
i know , like to rub him the facts.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#675 May 23, 2011
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
typical. obfuscate and try and paint your opposition as evil and supporting "slave laborers" (which isn't true) instead of actually continuing the conversation on the subject.
thanks for pointing out, yet again, your lack of wanting to debate and argue a point, but rather to belittle and essentially shout down your opposition-since what? you can't defend your own position?
Jonny Boy is notorious for taking a couple of words or a phrase from a post and launching a red herring argument.

Good that you caught him on that.

Next time be sure to question his "intellectual honesty".

LOL

Saint Paul, MN

#679 May 23, 2011
<quoted text>
This was his statement Bubba,
"If Apple would forsake its slave laborers and manufacture iPads and iPhones in the good old U.S. of Obama, would you pay the higher price?"
NOTE THAT THE QUESTION WAS NOT IF THERE WERE SLAVE LABORERS, BUT IF THE US WOULD PAY THE HIGHER PRICES?
Dumb8ss c*nt.
LOL
NEXT
okay barney, time to go to bed some of us have to get up and work tommorow.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#680 May 23, 2011
<quoted text>
Good my stalker is still around. And NO, you can't bl*w me. Go try to get a life Bubba
lol
NEXT
A reminder of what you think of yourself:

"BTW, I am REALLY this much of an *sshole in real life, lol"
-- Jonny Boy Cental Coast

http://www.topix.com/forum/us-governors/TGNS7...

LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maria Cantwell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's tax reform outline promises fight over ... Apr '17 Solarman 1
News Amanda Knox found guilty of murder - again (Jan '14) Apr '17 Bear 89
News Gorsuch Floor Fight Foreshadows Change in Senate Apr '17 Baptistism by Proxy 18
News Senate votes to block Obama-era rule on federal... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Pete 3
News Trump gets to replace judge who blocked his tra... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Texxy the Indepen... 4
News Democrat Wastes No Time Announcing for 2017 Was... (Dec '16) Dec '16 tomin cali 1
News What do LGBT rights and a pay raise for U.S. tr... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Frankie Rizzo 2
More from around the web