Opinion: White Protestants' time is over

Opinion: White Protestants' time is over

There are 32 comments on the CNN story from Sep 8, 2012, titled Opinion: White Protestants' time is over. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah, a former attorney, is a political comedian and frequent commentator on various TV networks including CNN.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#1 Sep 9, 2012
Sooner or later the era of Christian hegemony will end. You may well see a Jewish or Muslim president.
And she may well be Afro-Latin woman with plenty of smarts, sass and attitude.
So be it. I'm not personally much concerned with religion anyway.

If the person is progressive and humanistic, I will vote for her even if she's a gay Muslim or an atheist.

I want to end plutocracy and racism. I want to end capitalist exploitation and the patriarchal degradation of women and children.
And I want to create a radically democratic and cooperative society which will affirm the inherent dignity of every man, woman and child on earth.

If you're down with that (and respect the rights of others whose religiion or secular views differ from yours) I don't care if you worship the Moon Goddess. I will vote for you
Barros Serrano

United States

#3 Sep 9, 2012
Savant wrote:
Sooner or later the era of Christian hegemony will end. You may well see a Jewish or Muslim president.
If the person is progressive and humanistic, I will vote for her even if she's a gay Muslim or an atheist.
I want to end plutocracy and racism. I want to end capitalist exploitation and the patriarchal degradation of women and children.
And I want to create a radically democratic and cooperative society which will affirm the inherent dignity of every man, woman and child on earth.
If you're down with that (and respect the rights of others whose religiion or secular views differ from yours) I don't care if you worship the Moon Goddess. I will vote for you
Many, especially Muslims, speak of Christianity as if it rules in the West. I don't think religion plays much a part in power any more. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$

The public may be played with over religion, the rulers use the Christian Right, for example, whining about abortion and gay marriage, but it's corporate fascists running the show, not Pat Robertson.

I'm with you, give me justice and you can be of whatever religion. I certainly do not oppose Romney because he's Mormon, but because he's the lowest form of capitalist pig.
Goreg Von Zimmer

Montenegro

#4 Sep 9, 2012
JEWS Rule Amercia!
JEWS run Big Banks and Corporations.
JEWS created Federal Reserve...

JEW is your Master.
Barros Serrano

United States

#5 Sep 9, 2012
Goreg Von Zimmer wrote:
JEWS Rule Amercia!
JEW is your Master.
Shut the F up, Nazi.

Or, better yet, come speak thusly in my presence so I can give you the Nürnberg rope you so richly deserve.
Toomis

Houston, TX

#6 Sep 9, 2012
Like any system this system has become psychopathic. The OP is obviously vicious and psychopathic too. Thrashing out at people that have little or no control. Ex: not one supreme court justice is protestant.
The ultimate rulers are the banksters. Those that are by law are allowed to counterfeit money into the system globally. Basically the Rothschild cartel with their Albert Pike/ Giuseppe Mazzini/ Protocols of The Learned Elders of Zion blueprint to bring forth WW3 and with that the breaking of an exhausted world society worship of Lucifer worldwide.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#8 Sep 9, 2012
Savant wrote:
Are you a racist atheist.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#9 Sep 9, 2012
At the DNC convention, language including God and Jerusalem were stricken from being mentioned in any speech. The vote to change it was a farce as democrats booed the chairman when he included them after Obama had flip flopped on the ban.
Why do democrats hate people that believe in God and why do they hate the Jews? Should Democrat Party Members be teaching at our public schools? It's very disturbing.

Baltimore, Md.

#11 Sep 9, 2012
Barros Serrano wrote:
<quoted text>
Many, especially Muslims, speak of Christianity as if it rules in the West. I don't think religion plays much a part in power any more. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$
The public may be played with over religion, the rulers use the Christian Right, for example, whining about abortion and gay marriage, but it's corporate fascists running the show, not Pat Robertson.
I'm with you, give me justice and you can be of whatever religion. I certainly do not oppose Romney because he's Mormon, but because he's the lowest form of capitalist pig.
In America, religion probably plays a greater role than in most other industrial or Western countries.
The USA is a secular republic, so an outright theocray doesn't exist here.
But one problem is that the Christian Right tries to impose its agenda with the aid reactionary supporters within the Republican Party.
When Republicans try to crush unions or disfranchise Blacks, Latins and the poor I can see this as a way of supporting the interests of the 1%. But when Republicans pass laws banning abortions and even birth control procedures, issue "personhood" laws or require medically unnecessary ultra sound tests, they're essentially imposing the agenda of the Christian Right. Same thing when they try to impose the insanity of "creation science" on schools. None of this is necessary to defend capitalists interests, but are ways of imposing theocracy on the sly (as they can't do so outright as did John Calvin or Ayatollah Khoumeini).
So, no an outright undisguised theocracy is not possible in America nor in most other Western nations.
But in the USA some religious reactionnaries try to sneak it in.
I hope America never turns into a full scale theocracy, a "Republic of Gilead." Considering the boldly repressive measures they've attempting within the limits of our secular, it's mind boggling to think what they would do with absolute political power.

Baltimore, Md.

#12 Sep 9, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
At the DNC convention, language including God and Jerusalem were stricken from being mentioned in any speech. The vote to change it was a farce as democrats booed the chairman when he included them after Obama had flip flopped on the ban.
Why do democrats hate people that believe in God and why do they hate the Jews? Should Democrat Party Members be teaching at our public schools? It's very disturbing.
You are in error. Most Democrats are like most other Americans in believing in God. But they're generally more than Republicans of views that differ from theirs.

Baltimore, Md.

#13 Sep 9, 2012
McAlister73 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a racist atheist.
That is a stupid statement which indicates that you are a stupid creature. Everyone of intelligence who is familiar with my views on race knows that I am antiracist.
For you to use the word racist without EVIDENCE for someone you don't know indicates your mental inferiority.
With respect to religion, I am more a skeptic or agnostic. You probably don't know what that means.
But considering your abysmal ignorance maybe you shouldn't post at all until you become better informed and learn how to THINK rather than merely assume.
redneck

Glendale, OR

#14 Sep 9, 2012
Barros Serrano wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion plays a large role in government. That is the problem. Our founders mad E Pluribus Unem our motto and religion changed it to In Gawd We Trust. Religion divides us(bad) not unite(good) us.
redneck

Glendale, OR

#15 Sep 9, 2012
Goreg Von Zimmer wrote:
JEWS Rule Amercia!
JEW is your Master.
Christians tried to solve that with the Holocaust.

Baltimore, Md.

#17 Sep 9, 2012
Goreg Von Zimmer wrote:
JEWS Rule Amercia!
JEW is your Master.
Yawn.
Mud Blood and Beer

San Antonio, TX

#20 Sep 19, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
In America, religion probably plays a greater role than in most other industrial or Western countries.
The USA is a secular republic, so an outright theocray doesn't exist here.
But one problem is that the Christian Right tries to impose its agenda with the aid reactionary supporters within the Republican Party.
When Republicans try to crush unions or disfranchise Blacks, Latins and the poor I can see this as a way of supporting the interests of the 1%. But when Republicans pass laws banning abortions and even birth control procedures, issue "personhood" laws or require medically unnecessary ultra sound tests, they're essentially imposing the agenda of the Christian Right. Same thing when they try to impose the insanity of "creation science" on schools. None of this is necessary to defend capitalists interests, but are ways of imposing theocracy on the sly (as they can't do so outright as did John Calvin or Ayatollah Khoumeini).
So, no an outright undisguised theocracy is not possible in America nor in most other Western nations.
But in the USA some religious reactionnaries try to sneak it in.
I hope America never turns into a full scale theocracy, a "Republic of Gilead." Considering the boldly repressive measures they've attempting within the limits of our secular, it's mind boggling to think what they would do with absolute political power.
As far as social issues are concerned (as opposed to economics) in the past 40 years the country has gone dramatically leftwards and this despite many so called "conservative" administrations. Your fears seem unfounded to say the least. Now if you fear a micro managing top down repressive nanny state........well maybe you have something.

Baltimore, Md.

#21 Sep 20, 2012
Mud Blood and Beer wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as social issues are concerned (as opposed to economics) in the past 40 years the country has gone dramatically leftwards and this despite many so called "conservative" administrations. Your fears seem unfounded to say the least. Now if you fear a micro managing top down repressive nanny state........well maybe you have something.
Republican governed states pass "personood" laws to outlaw abortion. Some even try to outlaw birth control. They have tried to abolish Planned Parenthood. And they have imposed medically unncessary requirements that women undergo ultrasound tests in order to have an abortion. Thse are LAWS that are being passed by reactionaries. Repressive social policies are being imposed by the RIGHT, and things will likely get worse of Republicans retake the White House.
There is state repression alright. But it's mainly coming from the reactionaries.
It's the repressive CORPORATE state, largely aligned with Christian Right theocrats, that is the greatest danger to freedom in America.
Let no one be fooled. Big government conservatism is a fascistic threat to freedom.
bdcsr

Tempe, AZ

#23 Sep 20, 2012
Rather have Jews in power than white trash
Mud Blood and Beer

San Antonio, TX

#24 Sep 20, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
Republican governed states pass "personood" laws to outlaw abortion. Some even try to outlaw birth control. They have tried to abolish Planned Parenthood. And they have imposed medically unncessary requirements that women undergo ultrasound tests in order to have an abortion. Thse are LAWS that are being passed by reactionaries. Repressive social policies are being imposed by the RIGHT, and things will likely get worse of Republicans retake the White House.
There is state repression alright. But it's mainly coming from the reactionaries.
It's the repressive CORPORATE state, largely aligned with Christian Right theocrats, that is the greatest danger to freedom in America.
Let no one be fooled. Big government conservatism is a fascistic threat to freedom.
Birth control?
There are no mainstream.......and I stress mainstream conservatives (I know there's Kooks out there) that would want to outlaw birth control. As a matter of fact I am sure that the vast majority would be up in arms AGAINST such a set of laws. You are truly paranoid if you fear a nonsensical far fetched thing such as that come to pass.
Please don't bring up the Fluke/Limbaugh case.....that has everything to do with who pays for it and nothing to do with the concept of birth control as such.
Roofis wit da gold toofis

New Port Richey, FL

#25 Sep 20, 2012
bdcsr wrote:
Rather have Jews in power than white trash
So you hate only half of Obama then, gotcha. Das raht
bdcsr

Tempe, AZ

#26 Sep 20, 2012
Don't hate white people, just powerless white trash like you.
Roofis wit da gold toofis

New Port Richey, FL

#27 Sep 20, 2012
bdcsr wrote:
Don't hate white people, just powerless white trash like you.
Well when you said White trash I naturally assumed you meant Obunghole's mom. Now for calling me powerless White trash, I don't think that we can be friends anymore!!!! Das raht Roflmao

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Marco Rubio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump leaves Republicans with heavy lift on Ira... Oct 18 Pickle Rick 63
News Former GOP staffer is fatally shot 13 times in ... Oct 14 Diasporo 12
News Most Republicans avoid Corker-Trump fight Oct 11 Truth and Facts Zone 2
News The Philosophical Assault on Trumpism Oct 3 Fundie Sniffling 2
News U.S. orders expulsion of 15 Cuban diplomats Oct 3 Fundie Sniffling 3
News Republicans stepping down amid dissatisfaction ... Sep 25 Trump is a joke 69
News John Oliver blasts Trump on Charlottesville: 'D... Sep '17 southern at heart 80
More from around the web