Editorial: U.S. Senate failed America's youths

Dec 28, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Star Tribune

DREAM Act died despite its common-sense provisions. Last update: December 27, 2010 - 6:55 PM DREAM ACT "I do not believe that children are to blame for the decision of their parents to enter or remain in the United States unlawfully." Sen.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Dec 28, 2010

“It matters but not very much”

Since: Oct 07

Houston, TX

#1 Dec 28, 2010
What this article fails to mention is that the DREAM Act is a backdoor amnesty for ALL illegal aliens who merely apply but who don't have to do a damn thing.

A. The DREAM Act Is NOT Limited to Children, And It Will Be Funded On the Backs Of Hard Working, Law-Abiding Americans Proponents of the DREAM Act frequently claim the bill offers relief only to illegal alien “kids.” Incredibly, previous versions of the DREAM Act had no age limit at all, so illegal aliens of any age who satisfied the Act’s requirements—not just children—could obtain lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. In response to this criticism, S.3827 includes a requirement that aliens be under the age of 35 on the date of enactment to be eligible for LPR status. Even with this cap, many aliens would be at least 41 years old before obtaining full LPR status under the Act—hardly the “kids” the Act’s advocates keep talking about.

B. The DREAM Act PROVIDES SAFE HARBOR FOR ANY ALIEN, Including Criminals, From Being Removed or Deported If They Simply Submit An Application.

C. Certain Criminal Aliens Will Be Eligible For Amnesty Under The DREAM Act Certain categories of criminal aliens will be eligible for the DREAM Act amnesty, including alien gang members and aliens with misdemeanor convictions, even DUIs. The DREAM Act allows illegal aliens guilty of the following offenses to be eligible for amnesty: alien absconders (aliens who failed to attend their removal proceedings), aliens who have engaged in voter fraud or unlawfully voted, aliens who have falsely claimed U.S. citizenship, aliens who have abused their student visas, and aliens who have committed marriage fraud. Additionally, illegal aliens who pose a public health risk, aliens who have been permanently barred from obtaining U.S. citizenship, and aliens who are likely to become a public charge are also eligible.

D. Estimates Suggest That At Least 2.1 Million Illegal Aliens Will Be Eligible For the DREAM Act Amnesty. In Reality, We Have No Idea How Many Illegal Aliens Will Apply

E. Illegal Aliens Will Get In-State Tuition Benefits

F. The DREAM Act Does Not Require That An Illegal Alien Finish Any Type of Degree (Vocational, Two-Year, or Bachelor’s Degree) As A Condition of Amnesty

G. The DREAM Act does not require that an illegal alien serve in the military as a condition for amnesty, and There is ALREADY A Legal Process In Place For Illegal Aliens to Obtain U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service

H. Despite Their Current Illegal Status, DREAM Act Aliens Will Be Given All The Rights That Legal Immigrants Receive—Including The Legal Right To Sponsor Their Parents and Extended Family Members For Immigration

I. Current Illegal Aliens Will Get Federal Student Loans, Federal Work Study Programs, and Other Forms of Federal Financial Aid

J. DHS Is Prohibited From Using the Information Provided By Illegal Aliens Whose DREAM Act Amnesty Applications Are Denied

Amnesty for illegal aliens called something else is still amnesty for illegal aliens.
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Dec 28, 2010
The U.S. Senate FAILED to do their Constitutional job of securing the borders and protecting the states from the Illegal alien invaders.
Speeders Kill Kids

Watseka, IL

#3 Dec 28, 2010
Failed america's youth?? You mean mexico's youth.

These "kids" are illegal aliens. Send them home to get an education.
Speeders Kill Kids

United States

#4 Dec 28, 2010
The senators who voted for DREAM should be hung for treason.
TEA

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Dec 28, 2010
Speeders Kill Kids wrote:
Failed america's youth?? You mean mexico's youth.
These "kids" are illegal aliens. Send them home to get an education.
Well said!

They are NOT America's youth, they are Mexico's youth.
Excuse You

United States

#6 Dec 28, 2010
It's the job of America to protect American kids, not push buttons for Amnesty. Detect, detain, deport!
Roguer

Gastonia, NC

#7 Dec 28, 2010
I'd cancel my subscription to this liberal rag of a paper in a heartbeat if I had one.
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#8 Dec 28, 2010
How will dumping 2.1 million legal workers into the workforce and giving them access to government work study and loans help Americans, especially the poorest Americans?
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Dec 28, 2010
They didn't fail America's youth, but they came pretty close to failing them. It's sad that it was so close, IMO.
mcss

Oak Ridge, TN

#10 Dec 28, 2010
One of my sons just started his Masters program in nuclear engineering. He was helped by me to achieve his degree so far. I did not fail my child. I am an American citizen and I know full well what that degree cost financially. Mexico has colleges, and that is where the illegal aliens children need to go to further their education. I don't see a reason for the American citizens to continue to support this madness. If you came to this country illegally and brought your kids with you, then you as parents, and you alone are responsible for the mess you have created. Do the right thing, teach your children that it is not ok to steal, set them on the right path in life. Go back to your country and get your education there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lisa Murkowski Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Miller: 'If 20 million illegals vote, you c... 13 hr Julio Diaz 105
Alaska becomes crucial frontier for Senate Demo... Aug 25 bottlecap 1
Eric Cantor Loses Primary in Massive Upset Aug 24 swedenforever 230
Sullivan beats tea party in Alaska GOP Senate race Aug 21 Swedenforever 5
Alaska GOP candidates clash on immigration Aug 12 Cat74 4
VA official: Recruitment a challenge in Alaska Jul '14 Viet Nam Vet 1
GOP Senator Collins says she supports gay marriage Jun '14 Fa-Foxy 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••