Arlen Specter's farewell speech slams GOP 'cannibalism'

Dec 22, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Post-Standard

Departing Republican-turned-Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter on Tuesday said conservative Republicans who backed tea party challengers against establishment candidates in the recent elections engaged in political cannibalism.

Comments
1 - 20 of 186 Comments Last updated Dec 31, 2010
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
maverick

Holiday, FL

#1 Dec 22, 2010
Spectors sour grapes...good riddance!!!

Since: Sep 07

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Dec 22, 2010
And if the current Republicans who say they are conservative but turn around and vote with the democrat liberals will be primaried out of their office just like good ole' Arlen.

Yes, I agree, he is "sour grapes".

Since: Jun 10

United States

#4 Dec 22, 2010
his pain just breaks my Frigging heart
obvious

Park Forest, IL

#6 Dec 22, 2010
turned so far he is not even a RINO anymore! What a dirt bag!

“SEMPER FI”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#9 Dec 22, 2010
Arlen Sphincter just doesn't get it! The worm has turned!

“President DOWNGRADE..Ha Ha Ha!”

Since: Sep 09

Tavares, FL

#10 Dec 22, 2010
Arlen Sphincter gets voted out of both parties and still complains.

When the people you represent want someone else. It's time to hit the skids moron!

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#11 Dec 22, 2010
this one sentense pretty much sums specter up...

"Specter, 80, has been a fixture in American politics, emerging as a prominent centrist who used his willingness to cross party lines on key votes as a way to boost his clout in Congress."

centrist my ass!
the man was a political whore, plain and simple...he did whatever he had to to advance arlen...period!

btw...blaming the tea party because you jumped ship to TRY to save your pathetic ass?
classy, arlen ... very classy!

he WON'T be missed!
sue

United States

#12 Dec 22, 2010
More like the dems are eating us alive. Taking control of every aspect of our lives.
serfs up

Orlando, FL

#13 Dec 22, 2010
Specter ends up being an evil man who showed his true colors like so many other politicians as the economy declines. He actually showed his views for decades but we never really paid attention. He knows this. He is a traitor. He has no faith. Unfortunately those who condemn people like this are haters. Forget you Arlen!
TedsLiver

Berkeley, CA

#14 Dec 22, 2010
Good riddance!
The Solution

Monongahela, PA

#15 Dec 22, 2010
Adios Arlen. You never did a damn thing all the time you held the title of Senator. You jumped ship several times to get elected. It is interesting how you was anti democrat until you knew you was burnt toast and jumped over to the BO camp. Best of all BHO
dropped you like a bad habit.

FTR

“Community Liar-in-Chief”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#16 Dec 22, 2010
Departing Republican-turned-Democratic? It should read as "Departing Closet Democrat- Outed by the American people".......We will continue to weed out the cancers until such time as, "We the People" deem out country has returned to it's proper course.
Tony

Tampa, FL

#17 Dec 22, 2010
Specter is another very good example of why america must have term limits.....

see ya......don't let the bribes hit you in the butt on the way out.
WOODCHUCK

North Port, FL

#18 Dec 22, 2010
Like most little men,like little dogs ,he has a big yap Also!.....Are their no more honorable men in Government???These self centered OLD BASTARDS,have no class at all....a long career ,caring peoples trust,and in the end its themselves who they are concerned about!!,....This guy is the Worst!...at least Rangle was a loyal democrat,Not so here..A Political WHORE!!..so its hard for then...exiting stage Left.....Pom pass ,Old men...Best he get out of town now....Turned out to a dishonorable ,Sly,Slithery,Serpent!.....No real American He!!More in the mode of Traitors in our history!!...
Voting in 2012

United States

#19 Dec 22, 2010
Who cares?

Since: Jan 07

United States

#20 Dec 22, 2010
Specter was in the Senate for thirty years. He should have learned something in that time. The nail in his coffin was his sudden switch to the Democratic Party in the same year that he was coming up for reelection. It might be noted that he started his political career in Philadelphia as a Democrat and then aligned himself with the Republican Party, presumably because of ideological differences with the Democrats.

Having cemented the Specter vote to the Democratic majority, efforts were made to quell the challenge from Congressman Sestak in the primary election. It was not a surprise that Sestak beat him in the primary because Pennsylvania's Democratic voters didn't feel that Specter was a "real" Democrat, just an opportnist willing to hitch his wagon to the Obama star, such as it might be. And so, he lost in the primary to Joe Sestak, who was, in turn, beaten by former Congressman Pat Toomey.

What Specter should have learned was to know when to hold them and when to fold them. Major issues facing this country are much different than they were thirty years ago. Since he made rare public appearances here, he was virtually unknown to many who live here.

The political climate HAS changed. The public demands accountability and he hides behind press releases and occasional newsletters or e-mails. In efffect, he allowed himself to become an invisible man.

He may be a bitter man having been summarily dismissed from his lucrative position, but he need look no farther than himself for the reason.

Since: Oct 08

#21 Dec 22, 2010
another poor loser ...whiner!

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#23 Dec 22, 2010
carey529 wrote:
this one sentense pretty much sums specter up...
LOL!!! "Sentense"???

Pretty well sums you up, Carey!

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#24 Dec 22, 2010
The Voters spoke and chose to kick the sphincter out and how in the hell do you trust a guy that switches parties just to try and hang on to power? It's pathetic to watch these pieces of sh*t whine on the way out the door.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#25 Dec 22, 2010
PooPoo Platter wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! "Sentense"???
Pretty well sums you up, Carey!
Hey spellchecker nancy boy, I've some Dicktation for you to take under my desk. Get to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lisa Murkowski Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Miller: 'If 20 million illegals vote, you c... 18 hr Julio Diaz 105
Alaska becomes crucial frontier for Senate Demo... Aug 25 bottlecap 1
Eric Cantor Loses Primary in Massive Upset Aug 24 swedenforever 230
Sullivan beats tea party in Alaska GOP Senate race Aug 21 Swedenforever 5
Alaska GOP candidates clash on immigration Aug 12 Cat74 4
VA official: Recruitment a challenge in Alaska Jul '14 Viet Nam Vet 1
GOP Senator Collins says she supports gay marriage Jun '14 Fa-Foxy 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••