Veterans get ALS disability

Full story: Baltimore Sun

The Department of Veterans Affairs plans to provide full disability payments for Lou Gehrig 's disease, tacitly acknowledging for the first time a generalized link between the fatal neurological disorder and ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
TrueVet

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2008

Judged:

And how are we going to get tax payer's money to the thousands of Americans STRICKEN with ALS who were not in the military??
concerned citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2008

Judged:

A better question is what about all the vets and families they poisoned down at camp lejuene?
70 TOXIC chemicals in the drinking water and thousands poisoned! died, cancer, parkinsons, and on and on.
WHAT about those vets?
KDP DCP

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2008

Judged:

I am a Widow of a Viet nam Vetran who had ALS. It's about time the Military stood up & took responsibility.My husband suffered with ALS for 7 years.He tried to tell the VA that it was the Dioxin (Agent Orange)that had poisoned him but no one would listen at the time.
paula phillips Maine

Monmouth, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Judged:

My husband, a Vietnam Vet was diagnosed with ALS in July of 06 and passed Feb. of 08. He was unable to receive benefits for ALS since it was not considered service connected. I am so thrilled to hear that the Service Dept. is finally recognizing these veterans. They fought for our country, they defended our freedom, they were spit on when they came home. It high time they were given the rightful benefits they deserve. My only regret is that my husband is not here to see this bill being enacted.
Chandra Robinson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

My father died from ALS in February of 1984. He was a Vietnam Veteran. I am happy to see that they are finally saying that the disease is service related, but this is only the beginning. They need to admit that the veterans exposure to Agent Orange during their time in Vietnam is what caused them to contract this deadly disease.
Carolyn N

Brownsburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

I lost my husband to ALS in 2002. He battled that dreaded disease for 6 years. Imagine not being able to even scratch your nose if it itches. wipe your evyes if they water or sweep the hair out of your face.

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you want to get benefits for all the Americans that have ALS then join the ALS Assn and fight for them; just as the Viet Nam vet, wives, widows and widowers have been doing since the 70's. If didn't come easy to us by no means. A lot of blood and tears have been spilt to arrive to this decison and the war is not over. Only one battle has been won. We are still waiting to see how VA will slice and dice the benefits awarded. Believe me it won't be as grand as it sounds.
B Cook Clark

West Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Our father died at age 54 after 35 years of serving his country. Too young to die, and no clear diagnosis. Our Army-wife-mom then died of ALS a few years later. It would be interesting to know if there are any stats on veteran spouses who contracted ALS.
Connie Gust

Oregon City, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2009

KDP DCP wrote:
I am a Widow of a Viet nam Vetran who had ALS. It's about time the Military stood up & took responsibility.My husband suffered with ALS for 7 years.He tried to tell the VA that it was the Dioxin (Agent Orange)that had poisoned him but no one would listen at the time.
I too am a wife of a
Viet mam Vertran whom died of Lou Gericks, we tried to have the military take responcibility too
and they would not. I am glad to see they are starting to get it.
Connie Gust
Charlotte Edwards

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Would like unite with veterans & their families currently dealing with ALS. U can email me cedwar@hotmail.com
David B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

My Mother, Father and brothers are Military. Right now my Dad has ALS, I seen him a year a go and he was so happy. I just went to see him and he's lost 65lbs. I didn't know my own father. I had to carry him in my arms up the stairs. He can't eat, drink or talk. He also chokes constantly. I'm heart broken. We don't know what to do to help him, Dr's were taking everything from my parents.($1000.00 prescriptions) Just recently the VA jumped in. He got to see a VA Dr finally. But there is so much more he needs. I know it's going to kill him. I just hope the VA helps him as much as possible. He gave 11 years of his life to our Country, He doesn't deserve to die this way. At the very least. The V.A. should help him die with a little respect ......Who will serve if we treat our Vets like garbage??
Rosemarie

Monongahela, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

My husband was a Corpsman in the US NAVY and served 18 months in Viet Nam. In 2001 he started to have minor periods of forgetfullness which escalated as time went on. He had an MRI and it showed he had atrophy of the brain (he was 56 at the time). The Dr's diagnosed him as early Alzheimer's. I am a nurse and deal with Alzheimer's patients on a daily basis and Gary did not fit the classic Alzheimer's behaviors. We were fortunate to be able to see the head of the Neuro Dept at UPMC and he made reference to Gary being subject to Agent Orange in Viet Nam. As time went on, Gary had various tests and studies done and the EMG test showed that Gary had ALS. He was officially diagnosed with ALS in 2006 but suffered the symptoms as far back as 2001. My husband grew progressively worse and I attempted to get help from the VA but was informed each time (total of 4 attempts)that "Gary did not c/o of any of these symptoms while on active duty". Go figure!!! Well, my husband who used to weigh 232Lbs, was an ex-athlete, was a paramedic for 35 years, taught EMS, worked at a Psych Hosp doing groups, etc shriveled to 108 lbs, could not swallow, could no longer read, was incontinent, could not speak in sentences and could no longer convey his needs. My dear husband passed on February 6,2008 leaving me and our daughter and son asking WHY.... I was informed this past April from a service officer with the Order of the Purple Heart that ALS is now a service related compensatable disease. My husband served his country and was a PROUD veteran. I feel it is about time that the VA acknowledge that our loved one's were subject to poisons while in Viet Nam and are due their just cause. In essence, my husband as well as thousands of other Viet Nam Vets gave the ultimate for their country - THeir lives. Rest in peace our fallen heros and God Bless those veterans who are still battling the savages of war.
Mark Mizelle

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

My father was diagnosed with ALS in March of 1974 and passed away September 1975. When he was dianosed at Duke, the Doctor told us to track the Veteran's Administration because there may be a connection to ALS and military service and/or service in New Guinea and the Pacific Theater. That was 35 years ago! Thankfully, my mother is still with us and has applied for DIC benefits which we just found out about in July. We submitted all of the paper work the end of July and are still waiting.
Ron Lewman

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

I have also been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrigs Disease) by the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn, what an amazing place. My local Dr's could not or would not determine what my problem(s) were, and referred me to Mayo, thank goodness for that. My problems started in my upper thighs, and eventually took away all of the strength in all of my lower body. Soon I will only be able to be about by Wheel Chair only. I can concur and identify with the symptoms give in the above comments. Now for the benefits promised by the VA,etc. I am a Korean Vet, and have never received anything from the VA. Now, we will see how they handle my case for Benefits. I will keep all of you posted as we progress through this process.
Trudy

Altoona, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2009

My husband just died of ALS this November.....it only took 3 months for this awful disease to take over his body......I have filed a claim for widows pension with the VA.....we shall see if I get it or not......
Take care everyone.......it is a long battle...
Daughter of a Vet

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

My father was just diagnosed with ALS. He is a Vet, 20 yrs of service, who never went to Vietnam, but did join the Army in 1976. I see so much mention of Agent Orange, but if he didn't physically go to Vietnam was he still subjected to Agent Orange?
M Mizelle Petersburg VA

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Daughter of a Vet wrote:
My father was just diagnosed with ALS. He is a Vet, 20 yrs of service, who never went to Vietnam, but did join the Army in 1976. I see so much mention of Agent Orange, but if he didn't physically go to Vietnam was he still subjected to Agent Orange?
Probably not. One theory is that it has to do with the innoculations they recieve once they're inducted. If it were Agent Orange it would be isolated to just Viet Nam Vets. It first came to light from the high incident of ALS in Gulf War Vets and when examined futher included anyone who served actively ever. We finally got benefits for my mother and my father served in New Guinea in WWII.
Daughter of a Vet

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

M Mizelle Petersburg VA wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not. One theory is that it has to do with the innoculations they recieve once they're inducted. If it were Agent Orange it would be isolated to just Viet Nam Vets. It first came to light from the high incident of ALS in Gulf War Vets and when examined futher included anyone who served actively ever. We finally got benefits for my mother and my father served in New Guinea in WWII.
Error in my earlier statement... My father joined in 1975. He is a "Vietnam ERA Vet."

Also I'm so glad that your parents finally received what they so much deserve for sacrificing for our country.

I love what the Army helped my family to acquire and the opportunities it afforded me, but I never thought the cost would be my father's health (outside of combat that is).
ALS widow

Carmel Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2010

My husband died of ALS in July of 2001 at the age of 57. He survived 15 months from the time of diagnosis. He served in the Army Reserves for a number of years in California and Hawaii. Does anyone know if Reservists' are included in the consideration for benefits from the VA? I am raising our three children and just wondered if we may apply for survivors benefits.
Susie B

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Good luck to all of you applying for benefits. I am a surviving widow, whose husband died 11 years ago of this dreadful disease. He was in the Army Special Forces and so proud to have served his nation. I applied for benefits six months ago, and after filing a second round of applications, still have received nothing. I hope this is not another farce from our beloved government.
M Mizelle Petersburg VA

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

Susie B wrote:
Good luck to all of you applying for benefits. I am a surviving widow, whose husband died 11 years ago of this dreadful disease. He was in the Army Special Forces and so proud to have served his nation. I applied for benefits six months ago, and after filing a second round of applications, still have received nothing. I hope this is not another farce from our beloved government.
I had to get my local Congressman involved. Once I did everything was resolved in under 2 months.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••