Smallest state is big battleground on gay marriage

Jan 15, 2013 Full story: SavannahNow 13

Supporters of same-sex marriage rights plan to assemble at the Rhode Island Statehouse to urge lawmakers to make the smallest state the 10th to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed - and the last to do so in New England.

Full Story
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#1 Jan 15, 2013
Roman Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin of the Providence diocese remains a vocal opponent, last week calling gay marriage "immoral and unnecessary."

Funny, that's the way I feel about religion! "immmoral and unnecessary".

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#2 Jan 15, 2013
It's always amazing when so-called religious leaders believe marriage is unnecessary, and that children having married parents is immoral.
Anonymous

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jan 15, 2013
AGAIN for the stupid:

when you get married you hear...BY THE POWER INVESTED IN ME, BY TH STATE OF......NOT the Vaticn, NOT the Pope, THE STATE!!!!!!
sickofit

Blooming Prairie, MN

#4 Jan 15, 2013
When will the USA become equal on marriage? SOON IS THE ANSWER...Then the heads of the nazi fascist religous pukes will explode. GOOD DIE IN PAIN GOP SLIME.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#5 Jan 15, 2013
I thought Delaware was "smallest".

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Jan 15, 2013
disgusted american wrote:
AGAIN for the stupid:
when you get married you hear...BY THE POWER INVESTED IN ME, BY TH STATE OF......NOT the Vaticn, NOT the Pope, THE STATE!!!!!!
Not to nitpick, but it's the power "vested" in me. But your point is spot on.

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Jan 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
Delaware is #2 at 2,500 sq mi in area.
Rhode Island is #1 at only 1,500 sq mi.

Of note, Delaware is also working on marriage equality this year.

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Jan 15, 2013
Too bad we can't hear/view the judiciary committee public meeting today. It would be fun to listen to all the religious wackos bring up the same failed arguments.
sickofit

Blooming Prairie, MN

#9 Jan 15, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to nitpick, but it's the power "vested" in me. But your point is spot on.
True....That is the REAL issue...at any marriage no matter what where when or how....POWER BY THE STATE.....Marriage is a civil contract so it should be for all people.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#10 Jan 15, 2013
sickofit wrote:
True....That is the REAL issue...at any marriage no matter what where when or how....POWER BY THE STATE.....Marriage is a civil contract so it should be for all people.
And that catholic bishop has a simple solution to his moral dilemma. He can instruct all the priest under him to stop officiating civil marriages and only perform their religious Rite of Marriage.

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#11 Jan 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
You might be thinking of the order in which they became states. Delaware was the first.

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Jan 15, 2013
On a related topic, Wyoming has a marriage bill which was introduced with bi-partisan support, including the Republican chair of their House judiciary committee.

I seriously doubt it will go anywhere, but I appreciate the irony of a marriage bill with bipartisan support in an overwhelmingly republican state legislature.

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Jan 15, 2013
Number Eight wrote:
<quoted text>
To bad they couldn't pay me to go in and rip em a new one. Decadent freaks.
Sh!tstain
You would be ripped limb from limb if you spouted the same crap there as you do here.........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lincoln Chafee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Leaving a Dog in a Hot Car Now Illegal in Rhode... Jul '14 Sigh 1
Mediation in Rhode Island pension lawsuits fails Apr '14 777xyz 1
Settlement fails in Rhode Island pension overhaul Apr '14 April Foo 1
Obama to take minimum-wage push to Conn. (Mar '14) Mar '14 Bee Eff Dee 13
Experts React to Rhode Island Pension Reform Ag... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Retired teacher 1
RI Taxpayers Speak Out Against Immigrant Driver... (Feb '14) Feb '14 ronnie 11
Rhode Island is 10th state to legalize gay marr... (May '13) Nov '13 Straight Sh00ter 45
•••

Lincoln Chafee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••