RI House to vote on gay marriage

Jan 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Tribune

The Rhode Island House is poised to debate and vote on legislation that would allow gay and lesbian couples to marry - the first time the issue has gone to a legislative vote in the only New England state without same-sex marriage.

Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Feb 12, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
derrek

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

about time!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

The debate is scheduled for 4:00 PM today 24-Jan. It will be live-streaed by WPRI.

http://www.wpri.com/generic/news/live_stream

Also, here's an interesting analysis of public opinion. Note that the latest poll was from last September, prior to the ballot box wins in Maine, Maryland, Washington, and Minnesota. They also preceeded President Obama's full-throated endorsement of marriage equality during his inauguration. Public opinion has undoubtedly moved even more strongly toward equality our smallest state.

http://blogs.wpri.com/2013/01/24/poll-only-re...

Although I never favor votes on people's rights, Rhode Island seems like a pretty good place to flex our muscles. The smallness of both its population and geography strongly favors a ground campaign such as our side successfully prosecuted in Maine. The strong influence of Massachusetts and Boston in particular provides additional impetus for or side. And Rhode Islanders are surely feeling left behind as the only state without marriage equality in the contiguous block including New York, all the rest of New England, and all of Canada.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Thanks for the links. I'm getting popcorn.

Since: Oct 12

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, the "Rhode Island..." house approved it. Now what is the Senate and governor going to do ?

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Lets hope FREEDOM AND EQUALITY RING.........
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Westfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

When the principles of morality are involved in any governmental process you would think the people would be allowed to vote on such a subversive and decadent topic. Then one must overcome voter fraud in the process.
Just another vice I guess.

Since: Oct 12

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

From what i ahve read, I believe the "Rhode Island..." Senate will also approve the bill, and teh governor will sign it.

ON TO New Jersey !
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
When the principles of morality are involved in any governmental process you would think the people would be allowed to vote on such a subversive and decadent topic. Then one must overcome voter fraud in the process.
Just another sour grape, I guess.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Approved 51-19.

I'd say that puts the pressure on the Senate leaders to allow a vote by the full Senate.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

'morality' is too abstract to have bearing

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
STFU you fking Fa$$ot Retard.
I would love to see you make me wimp. I could snap you like a twig......REMEMBER THAT BIOTCH......You fat inbred toothless goobers talk big and fall fast.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to see you make me wimp. I could snap you like a twig......REMEMBER THAT BIOTCH......You fat inbred toothless goobers talk big and fall fast.
Don't get him excited, he'll cream all over his laptop before he covers it with plastic wrap!!

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful what you wish for Retard, sometimes things have a way of coming true. LMFAO
I sure wish it would...Then I would come on here and tell everyone how you cryed like a little girl when I beat you down..

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Marriage and family life is "subversive and decadent"?

Hmmmm. Mine doesn't seem to be.

You must life a wild life.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Life = lead. Long day.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
Approved 51-19.
I'd say that puts the pressure on the Senate leaders to allow a vote by the full Senate.
Delicious numbers!

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Delicious numbers!
That's just one shy of 3/4. No other legislative body has given such a strong endorsement. In fact, the bills have always just squeaked through.

We need to attain just one more vote in the Judiciary Committee, and the entire Senate follows.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just one shy of 3/4. No other legislative body has given such a strong endorsement. In fact, the bills have always just squeaked through.
We need to attain just one more vote in the Judiciary Committee, and the entire Senate follows.
That IS the current stumbling block. Most news sites report the committee evenly split 4-4 with 2 others "undecided". Imagine the lobbying & bribery going on to get those 2 votes.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That IS the current stumbling block. Most news sites report the committee evenly split 4-4 with 2 others "undecided". Imagine the lobbying & bribery going on to get those 2 votes.
Not to mention the threats of eternal damnation...
chickychickchick erydo

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

My thoughts....

If gay men and women want to get married let them. If they want to be a miserable as I was, then go for it. RI could benefit from the marriage license fees and divorce filling fees. If there is a separation of Church and State then this shouldn't even be an issue. And for all you bible freaks you can't pick and chose what your going to believe. Take the entire bible literally or shut up. Find something else to do. There are families in RI who have no food, no money fight for them and knock it off already.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••