Gillibrand Introduces Federal Legislation To Protect Voting Rights

Sep 21, 2012 Read more: lezgetreal.com 114

Two LGBT allies, US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Representative John Lewis have teamed up to strengthen federal law regarding voting rights.

Read more
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“NOW will ya give me”

Since: Sep 12

some fightin' room ? !

#1 Sep 21, 2012
Her proposed legislation is probably unconstitutional and stands NO CHANCE of even being considered by the House. This is merely political grandstanding.

There is NO federal "RIGHT TO VOTE".

Furthermore, Gillibrand is just a political hack appointed to the Senate in the dead of night by a mortally politically wounded governor who couldn't even secure his own party's nomination for reelection.
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Sep 21, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
Her proposed legislation is probably unconstitutional and stands NO CHANCE of even being considered by the House. This is merely political grandstanding.
Yes there is.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

HATE AND BIGOTRY

#3 Sep 21, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
Furthermore, Gillibrand is just a political hack appointed to the Senate in the dead of night by a mortally politically wounded governor who couldn't even secure his own party's nomination for reelection.
Actually there is a "RIGHT TO VOTE"......and the ONLY way to lose that right is if one is convicted of a felony, but they can get it back in time!!!

“NOW will ya give me”

some fightin' room ? !

#4 Sep 21, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually there is a "RIGHT TO VOTE"......and the ONLY way to lose that right is if one is convicted of a felony, but they can get it back in time!!!
No, there isn't, and never has been. Don't you know ANYTHING about the U.S. Constitution and American history ?

If you think there is a FEDERAL "right to vote", then please point it out.

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Boston, MA

#5 Sep 21, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there isn't, and never has been. Don't you know ANYTHING about the U.S. Constitution and American history ?
The Federal Right to Vote as per the Constitution and assorted amendments:

Article 1, Section 4

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

Amendment 15

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Amendment 19

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Sep 21, 2012
I have a growing feeling that people arguing these "rights" stances vis-a-vis the U.S. Constitution are playing with semantics.

I have a feeling that *ALMOST ALL* internet arguments are following the way of politics, with people arguing semantics and using everything they can find to justify "being right."

What I suspect is what I find in the first google hit produced for the search "is there a federal right to vote."

Yeah, there is. And no, there isn't.

If you argue the Constitution by the letter, it's not there. If you argue the spirit of the Constitution and what is generally accepted fact and principle by legal sources, it's there.

Moreover, on a much, much more fundamental level, people have the rights they *think* they have, and no matter how much this may infuriate you,*go try telling them they don't have those rights* and you will learn what it is to waste whole chunks of time.

I side with the people above who say there is a right to vote; in so doing, I am speaking my opinion and my American-enshrined view of this matter. That didn't come from nowhere; it came from the life I have led and what I've observed in this country.

Sei

Boston, MA

#7 Sep 21, 2012
hi hi wrote:
Yeah, there is. And no, there isn't.
If you argue the Constitution by the letter, it's not there. If you argue the spirit of the Constitution and what is generally accepted fact and principle by legal sources, it's there.
Actually, both Amendment 15 and Amendment 19 pretty much say that there is a Federal right to vote.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Sep 21, 2012
Sei wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, both Amendment 15 and Amendment 19 pretty much say that there is a Federal right to vote.
Agreed, if there wasn't a federal right to vote, then there would be no reason to begin each such amendment with "the right of citizens of the United States to vote....."

That's says it all right there. There IS a right to vote; the amendments simply list a couple of instances (race, gender, age) where that right can't be denied.

That doesn't mean the right is absolute- none are, but the right DOES exist.

Fred/Frank/DanielP is one of those morons the framers of the constitution worried about when they were writing the 1st 10 amendments. They were worried that if they started listing some specific rights, eventually some moron would come along and claim that since a right isn' specifically mentioned then it doesn't exist.

Unfortunatley some of those morons currently sit on the SCOTUS.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

HATE AND BIGOTRY

#10 Sep 21, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe Sei did the pointing out!!!
AdaminAZ

United States

#11 Sep 21, 2012
Sei wrote:
<quoted text>
Article 1, Section 4
The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.
Amendment 15
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
Amendment 19
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Yea, but do you have anything to support your position besides the facts?

Sei

Boston, MA

#12 Sep 21, 2012
AdaminAZ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, but do you have anything to support your position besides the facts?
Will some lightning bolts and a lightsaber work?

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Sep 21, 2012
Every citizen should be issued a voter id card along with their national service ID card when they turn 18, contingent on completion of 2 years of either military or civil service.

“NOW will ya give me”

some fightin' room ? !

#14 Sep 21, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Every citizen should be issued a voter id card along with their national service ID card when they turn 18, contingent on completion of 2 years of either military or civil service.
Wrong.

There's no federal right to vote.

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Sep 21, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
And yet it's right there in the constitution multiple times.

"The right of the citizens of the United States to vote......"

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Sep 21, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Have a state pass a law banning all left-handed people from voting.

See how fast it is ruled unconstitutional.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#18 Sep 21, 2012
Sei wrote:
<quoted text>
No "pretty much" about it.

“NOW will ya give me”

some fightin' room ? !

#19 Sep 21, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
No "pretty much" about it.
They don't say that at all. And that's certainly not what SCOTUS has said they say, and THEY are the deciders who count !

Location hidden

#20 Sep 21, 2012
Sei wrote:
<quoted text>
Article 1, Section 4
Amendment 15
Amendment 19
Excellent.

Location hidden

#21 Sep 21, 2012
TucksunJack wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't say that at all. And that's certainly not what SCOTUS has said they say, and THEY are the deciders who count !
Have they?

Prove it.

“NOW will ya give me”

some fightin' room ? !

#22 Sep 21, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Have they?
Prove it.
Read Bush v. Gore where SCOTUS specifically says there is no federal "right to vote".

Here
s a link to the written decsion in Bush V. Gore, where SCOTUS SPECIFICALLY STATES: "The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote"; Bush v. Gore (00-949) SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES, GEORGE W. BUSH, et al., PETITIONERS v. ALBERT GORE, Jr., et al.
ON WRIT OF CERTIORARI TO THE FLORIDA SUPREME COURT, December 12, 2000, II, B.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-949....

If you cannot accept that explicit statement from SCOTUS about there being NO federal constitutional "right to vote", then I suggest you research the matter yourself, and\or consult a qualified legal professional such as a lawyer or a judge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Group Calls For Wider Emergency Response Zone A... Apr 15 Hidden govt info 1
News Senate bill would decriminalize medical marijuana Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 4
News Editorial: Waiting for Gillibrand Mar '15 Responsibility 6
News Kirsten Gillibrand joins filmmakers to fight ca... Mar '15 serfs up 3
News Cuomo unveils campaign to fight sexual assault ... Feb '15 serfs up 6
News Democrat Says Obama Administration Dodging Requ... Feb '15 followthecrowdoff... 1
News In Columbia University rape case, accuser and a... Feb '15 Black Annie 2
More from around the web