State online sales tax bill takes the stage at Senate

Mar 21, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

Legislation allowing states to collect sales taxes on goods sold over the Internet made its way to the Senate floor on Thursday - a sign that a decades-long struggle by states to tax businesses beyond their borders could end this year.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 75 of75
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Ron and Rand Paul have presented a reasonable and superior concepts in this area
On our agreeing
My Grandfather once told me that, every broken clock tells the right time twice a day
If I thought that a libertarian had a chance at the WH, I'd vote for them. Both parties are so corrupt. I am a registered repub simply because I am self employed and WANT to work and support myself and family. I don't want government dictating every aspect of my life and business.

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
If I thought that a libertarian had a chance at the WH, I'd vote for them. Both parties are so corrupt. I am a registered repub simply because I am self employed and WANT to work and support myself and family. I don't want government dictating every aspect of my life and business.
I agree with half of your last sentence.
Where a gov't stands between you and the freedom to engage in your private life I have a problem
With no warrant the gov't should never be able to peek over my fence through my windows nor into my communications without due process.
When I step off of my property I begin to 'agree' to compromise my freedom to do as I please.
(absurd example, I can walk around naked indoors , rightly so outdoors i am arrested.
The more you interact with other people the more latitude you sacrifice.
Which brings us to business .
Regulation is required in many areas.
Todays Buffalo News Headline
"Tonawanda Coke Convicted by jury"
The Coke plant was required to its emissions monitored by EPA, with samples take at the mouth of their smokestack . Tonawanda Coke had installed a valve to bleed of the benzine and send it into the air unmeasured by EPA. Benzine levels in the area became very high. The plants owner siting smokestack data went on a large PR crusade against the White House, the EPA and the concept of regulation.

I submit the proposition that libertarian concepts should mostly, be reserved for your private behavior.
The minute I walk out my front door I should expect some restrictions and the most my actions affect others the more i should accept a reasonable level of regulation.What the country needs is a review of regulation , repairing those that work poorly, but always with the goal of satisfying the regulations original intent.
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with half of your last sentence.
Where a gov't stands between you and the freedom to engage in your private life I have a problem
With no warrant the gov't should never be able to peek over my fence through my windows nor into my communications without due process.
When I step off of my property I begin to 'agree' to compromise my freedom to do as I please.
(absurd example, I can walk around naked indoors , rightly so outdoors i am arrested.
The more you interact with other people the more latitude you sacrifice.
Which brings us to business .
Regulation is required in many areas.
Todays Buffalo News Headline
"Tonawanda Coke Convicted by jury"
The Coke plant was required to its emissions monitored by EPA, with samples take at the mouth of their smokestack . Tonawanda Coke had installed a valve to bleed of the benzine and send it into the air unmeasured by EPA. Benzine levels in the area became very high. The plants owner siting smokestack data went on a large PR crusade against the White House, the EPA and the concept of regulation.
I submit the proposition that libertarian concepts should mostly, be reserved for your private behavior.
The minute I walk out my front door I should expect some restrictions and the most my actions affect others the more i should accept a reasonable level of regulation.What the country needs is a review of regulation , repairing those that work poorly, but always with the goal of satisfying the regulations original intent.
In reference to business practices and governmental controls. All things in moderation. My business is my livelihood, I produce products f or my customers to the highest standards possible because it's MY credibility and income on the line. When government somehow thinks they need to over-regulate me and feels the way Odumbo does, "you didn't build that"; I have a problem with them. Private and free enterprise has been stifled by insane rules and regulations over the past 2 decades that I have seen grow out of control. It's the reason there are more LLCs than ever. Sole proprietorships don't fall under the scrutiny and tax structure and the government hates that. They aren't happy unless they have the eye of Big Brother showed into every facet of your business from trash removal to bank deposits. It's revolting! So many belly-ache about big corps and all their subsidies and tax breaks, but government has promoted it. Unionization, withholding taxes, OSHA and the like have created much of the business killing environment. No wonder businesses have sent their production over seas.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
In reference to business practices and governmental controls. All things in moderation. My business is my livelihood, I produce products f or my customers to the highest standards possible because it's MY credibility and income on the line. When government somehow thinks they need to over-regulate me and feels the way Odumbo does, "you didn't build that"; I have a problem with them. Private and free enterprise has been stifled by insane rules and regulations over the past 2 decades that I have seen grow out of control. It's the reason there are more LLCs than ever. Sole proprietorships don't fall under the scrutiny and tax structure and the government hates that. They aren't happy unless they have the eye of Big Brother showed into every facet of your business from trash removal to bank deposits. It's revolting! So many belly-ache about big corps and all their subsidies and tax breaks, but government has promoted it. Unionization, withholding taxes, OSHA and the like have created much of the business killing environment. No wonder businesses have sent their production over seas.
I hear your frustration.
My calculator does NPV calculations too.
I am in no way oblivious.
But what do you say about Tonawanda Coke?
THANKS LBJ

West Mifflin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

WHEN WRITING ambigious laws, social give aways, making "GROUNDHOG DAY", a way of governing the country. doing the same insanity over and over and over. just like re-living the 60s, with a "GREAT SOCIETY" always around the corner, 10 years from now. a new tax that going to fix everything.a new school system , a new social program, another piece of the pie, and yet 50 YEARS LATER the same problems "EXIST " in spades,. with all 3 branches of government looking for an out for themselves. not the country..
facts are

Vandergrift, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

taxes, fees, sales taxes, excise taxes,school taxes, county taxes, state taxes, payroll taxes,ss taxes, federal taxes.. ARE ALL A HORSE OF THE SAME COLOR,, all have the same modus operandi, .....YOUR WALLET CANT TELL THE DIFFERANCE......AND 50 percent of your time and labor is the total cost. maybe more..

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

THANKS LBJ wrote:
WHEN WRITING ambigious laws, social give aways, making "GROUNDHOG DAY", a way of governing the country. doing the same insanity over and over and over. just like re-living the 60s, with a "GREAT SOCIETY" always around the corner, 10 years from now. a new tax that going to fix everything.a new school system , a new social program, another piece of the pie, and yet 50 YEARS LATER the same problems "EXIST " in spades,. with all 3 branches of government looking for an out for themselves. not the country..
You hit half the nail on the head.
U.S. politics has the 'ground hog' effect.
As little as the country can afford more spending it also can not go back to the concept that massive undirected tax cuts will solve our problems. A W would be the worst possible thing that could happen to us.
The best outcome would have the moderates, center-crats, independents and RINO's run the show for a while.
I hope the electorate has grown tired of the activist, partisan 'cutting edge' of both parties
have you flushed today

West Mifflin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

* A worker with an income of $34,000 must work three and a half months of the year to pay for the car, and then two and a half additional months to pay the taxes on the income used to purchase the car.http://www.cato.org/pubs/b riefs/bp-015.html

The payroll tax. For most workers (with earnings up to $53,400) this constitutes a 7.65 percent tax on earnings on top of the income tax. Self-employed workers must pay a self-employment tax that raises their effective payroll tax rate to 14.1 percent.[4]
AMERICANS cant add

West Mifflin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

There is an old saying that describes the feelings of workers in difficult economic times: my take-home pay won't take me home. One reason for the squeeze on workers is the rising tax burden at all levels of government. Since 1990 the federal government has enacted a five-year $200 billion tax increase and the states have added $40 billion in new taxes to the total. After a brief respite in the early 1980s, taxes are climbing again. By one calculation Americans work from January to the end of the first week in May just to pay their tab to the government.'
http://www.cato.org/pubs/briefs/bp-015.html
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear your frustration.
My calculator does NPV calculations too.
I am in no way oblivious.
But what do you say about Tonawanda Coke?
EPA regulations are a double edged sword. We have traded one pollution for another. The fact is, with the progressive mindset, we must produce cars with higher emission standards, and then go cut one forest after another down to build high rises and government facilities to house the bureaucrats. All things in moderation; unfortunately, our gubmint has no clue what that even means.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
EPA regulations are a double edged sword. We have traded one pollution for another. The fact is, with the progressive mindset, we must produce cars with higher emission standards, and then go cut one forest after another down to build high rises and government facilities to house the bureaucrats. All things in moderation; unfortunately, our gubmint has no clue what that even means.
Well stated. Your earning a living as a businessman gives you a lot of authority. on the topic
I am not yanking your chain about being business friendly. I earn a parasitic existence off of business through stocks. No parasite worth the name kills the host.
Everyone needs a watchdog. Only me and you are completely trustworthy.
It s not, if you need it as much as, if what you have is working
I have two really large problems with regulation. First is the way that regulation is produced. The political posturing between those who would kill it at any cost and those who are genuinely hostile to that industry, results in a pathetically mutated creature that does its job poorly. Old Regulations are papered over with new. The number of obsolete bullsquat on the books is amazing.
Redundant crap. New York is a regulation peculator. Why should there be two hoops to jump through on a single issue.
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Well stated. Your earning a living as a businessman gives you a lot of authority. on the topic
I am not yanking your chain about being business friendly. I earn a parasitic existence off of business through stocks. No parasite worth the name kills the host.
Everyone needs a watchdog. Only me and you are completely trustworthy.
It s not, if you need it as much as, if what you have is working
I have two really large problems with regulation. First is the way that regulation is produced. The political posturing between those who would kill it at any cost and those who are genuinely hostile to that industry, results in a pathetically mutated creature that does its job poorly. Old Regulations are papered over with new. The number of obsolete bullsquat on the books is amazing.
Redundant crap. New York is a regulation peculator. Why should there be two hoops to jump through on a single issue.
I completely agree. Bureaucrats are paid to "make work", not make what works. The facts are that many effective laws are already on the books, but aren't enforced. If I ran my business the way the politicians and bureaucrats run this poor excuse for a government, I would have folded years ago. In the private sector you have to work smart, there isn't a bottomless pit of revenue to draw from if your product or service is inferior. This over bloated government needs slimming down and re-vamped into something stream-lined and efficient.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree. Bureaucrats are paid to "make work", not make what works. The facts are that many effective laws are already on the books, but aren't enforced. If I ran my business the way the politicians and bureaucrats run this poor excuse for a government, I would have folded years ago. In the private sector you have to work smart, there isn't a bottomless pit of revenue to draw from if your product or service is inferior. This over bloated government needs slimming down and re-vamped into something stream-lined and efficient.
I agree with reform. Most of the regulations we have created have legitimate goals. The reform has to embrace the original intent and make it more cost effective for all concerned. I personally like the concept of having a sunset provision on regulation, it would give a built in window to review. If I was asked to give an opinion on a company who's books were as cooked and unbalanced as the Gov't. I would recommend scratch off lotto as a more likely winner
CBOW

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with reform. Most of the regulations we have created have legitimate goals. The reform has to embrace the original intent and make it more cost effective for all concerned. I personally like the concept of having a sunset provision on regulation, it would give a built in window to review. If I was asked to give an opinion on a company who's books were as cooked and unbalanced as the Gov't. I would recommend scratch off lotto as a more likely winner
Agree, all things in a business setting need reviewed periodically. That is where waste seems to hide, and the government is no stranger to waste. They are like a spoiled brat with a trust fund or annuity, if their wallets get empty they just raid the account for more money. Margaret Thatcher once said, sooner or later, you run out of other people's money to spend. That is where our government is headed.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree, all things in a business setting need reviewed periodically. That is where waste seems to hide, and the government is no stranger to waste. They are like a spoiled brat with a trust fund or annuity, if their wallets get empty they just raid the account for more money. Margaret Thatcher once said, sooner or later, you run out of other people's money to spend. That is where our government is headed.
Can't argue with a single word.
Back in 1975 when i first voted as Republican the top tax rate here was 70% in England it was 83% with a rate that high Thatcher and Reagan were correct tax had nowhere to go but down. It was a whole different ballgame than 35% US and 40% UK. The rate was 39% the last time we had a balanced budget. Expressed as a % of GDP we see prosperity when both spending an taxation are both between 18-20%. The W. tax cuts knocked the receipt rate to 15.4% by 2011 spending was at 24% of GDP Current changes leave us at 17% receipt and 23% a 3 -1 cut to receipt is the Rx .
I started out my career as a machinist running ID and OD grinders to pay for school. One thing i learned is that every machine has an optimum set of settings. W. screwed up the receipt end of the equation the recession and the wars combined with The Presidents difficulty in restraint have the spending end screwed up
They really should allow anti-social math geeks run the world

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 75 of75
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••