Senator Amy Klobuchar visits Afghanistan

Full story: TwinCities.com

After a one-day visit to Afghanistan on Sunday, U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar said she was impressed by the U.S. military strategy and troop morale but remains concerned about the strength of the Afghan government.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of70
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Vinnie Barbarino

Barron, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 3, 2010
 
Hope they return safely.
buck

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 3, 2010
 
Another waste of taxpayers money! What a joke. Amy is being led by the nose like a lamb to slaughter by Harry Reid in his quest for the Health Care Fiasco....She should stay home, visit Minnesota and discover the vast majority of citizens do not want what she is voting for..........and spending for........ I suspect her Father's name recognition was what got her elected..... Minnesotans have to start paying attention to who they vote into office.
The truth is

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 3, 2010
 
I am sure she had her press releases all written for her before she went. She will know nothing more when she comes back than she did before she went. She is a tool of Reid and Pelosi and isn't allowed to have an original thought.
There was a day when Minnesota had some of the most respected Senators in the country. Now we have Amy and Al. What a waste. Probably the two least respected in recent history. Certainly the worst pair in Minnesota history.
Joe Merlot

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 3, 2010
 
buck wrote:
Another waste of taxpayers money! What a joke. Amy is being led by the nose like a lamb to slaughter by Harry Reid in his quest for the Health Care Fiasco....She should stay home, visit Minnesota and discover the vast majority of citizens do not want what she is voting for..........and spending for........ I suspect her Father's name recognition was what got her elected..... Minnesotans have to start paying attention to who they vote into office.
Anyone who knows me would expect me least of all to defend a Democrat. That said, Amy is one of the few that seems to be somewhat reasonable. Although she may well have voted in favor of advancing the Health Care reform into conference an ultimately for a floor vote, she has quietly taken a position that she will need to see meaningful cost reforms for all of American before she will ultimately vote to pass the final legislation. Now I would be extremely impressed if she held true to that, however, I expect that she'll probably vote for it in the end. Unless the legislation changes drastically from what's been moving through congress, she'll loose my respect if she does vote for it in the end. Credit where credit is due, however, she has been one of the few moderates from within the Democratic party that has challenged her leadership to be true to the label of "reform" rather than an entitlement program that they call reform.

Regarding her press release, it's a reasonable middle ground. She gives credit to the military and expresses a real concern about the legitimacy of the Afghan government. Although she does state the intention of troop withdraws, she did indicate that the Afghan government must do more if they are to retain US support (which implies that troop withdraws are not locked in).

As far as a Democrats go, Amy is pretty moderate and fair. I may not agree with her all of the time, however, she is at least reasonable minded and not a far left nut job (in my humble opinion at least).
ohyahhhh

Hudson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 3, 2010
 
My God arnt our troops suffering enough, without having to look at her, i hopr franken dont go over there, that might cause them to go over the hill.
Mr shoottokill

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 3, 2010
 
I hope amy takes if up a notch with full military gear, flank jacket and ingaged in a machine gun fight gunning some of those dirtbags down. way to go senator kick their ssa.
IMASIMPLETON

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 3, 2010
 
ohyahhhh wrote:
My God arnt our troops suffering enough, without having to look at her, i hopr franken dont go over there, that might cause them to go over the hill.
If I have a choice please waterboard me instead of making me read another of your posts.
jamal

International Falls, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 3, 2010
 
Geez i wonder if she is going to grab a weapon and stand a post? what a joke!
den

Siren, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 3, 2010
 
She states Afghan might not be a crediable partner but look who they have to trust obama and her
Stephen Canavan

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 3, 2010
 
Any chance the Afghan people will keep her? Perhaps she can do her famous Bump Ninja Kitty dance for them.
Bill

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 3, 2010
 
Nobody cares...
if Klobuchar visits the Afghanistan. It's only political. That's all. If she puts on a helmet and gets out there with the troops rather than spend taxpayer money on an expensive photo opportunity, I would be impressed. This newspaper should spend more time on writing stories on the troops that are there protecting our freedom rather than some political person going to make it look good on their resume.
billy boy

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 3, 2010
 
What are the chances of Amy losing her passport and not being able to return to the states. Good for us, bad for them.
Tall Paul

Hugo, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 3, 2010
 
Hopefully a sniper will get lucky.
StPaul TheNewDetroit

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 3, 2010
 
Photo Op Amy.
Phillip Ml

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 3, 2010
 
What a phony she is!!. Her and democrat criminal buddies in Congress who do everything they can to undermine our military and aid our enemies
Political nuisance

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 3, 2010
 
What is it with these politicians. Her going to Afghanistan makes no sense at all, unless she is fully armed with weapons and willing and able to use them to fight the enemy, otherwise all that politicians do is get in the way and limit the military and the job they are faced with, instead of assigning extra security to protect and make sure the political sight seers over there on vacation do not get hurt. There is enough problems right here in America that she should be concerned with, which obviously she is not.What is it with these politicians. Her going to Afghanistan makes no sense at all, unless she is fully armed with weapons and willing and able to use them to fight the enemy, otherwise all that politicians do is get in the way and limit the military and the job they are faced with, instead of assigning extra security to protect and make sure the political sight seers over there on vacation do not get hurt. There is enough problems right here in America that she should be concerned with, which obviously she is not.
tax broke

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 3, 2010
 
In the delegation's meeting with Karzai, she said she stressed that the United States has set a timetable for withdrawing its troops, starting in 2011, and that the Afghan government must make significant progress toward democracy and a stronger economy to retain U.S. support.

Hey Amy,
Not sure if you know this or not, but they have no economy to make stronger. This is the arm pit of the world. We are over there trying to talk opium farmers into growing regular crops. They make more money off of a pocket full of opium than they would growing a field full of corn or something. Atleast in Iraq they have an economy to make better. Afganistan is nothing more than a bunch of drug lords and gangs. Good luck trying to convert them all to law abiding citizens. I say we pull out of there and wait a couple of months, and just level the place. Atleast you can use the photos of you handing out Vikings hats to the soldiers in your next election ??? Wonder how much that trip costed the tax payers.
Political Sheep

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jan 3, 2010
 
Joe Merlot wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who knows me would expect me least of all to defend a Democrat. That said, Amy is one of the few that seems to be somewhat reasonable. Although she may well have voted in favor of advancing the Health Care reform into conference an ultimately for a floor vote, she has quietly taken a position that she will need to see meaningful cost reforms for all of American before she will ultimately vote to pass the final legislation. Now I would be extremely impressed if she held true to that, however, I expect that she'll probably vote for it in the end. Unless the legislation changes drastically from what's been moving through congress, she'll loose my respect if she does vote for it in the end. Credit where credit is due, however, she has been one of the few moderates from within the Democratic party that has challenged her leadership to be true to the label of "reform" rather than an entitlement program that they call reform.
Regarding her press release, it's a reasonable middle ground. She gives credit to the military and expresses a real concern about the legitimacy of the Afghan government. Although she does state the intention of troop withdraws, she did indicate that the Afghan government must do more if they are to retain US support (which implies that troop withdraws are not locked in).
As far as a Democrats go, Amy is pretty moderate and fair. I may not agree with her all of the time, however, she is at least reasonable minded and not a far left nut job (in my humble opinion at least).
Anyone who knows me would know that I think you come across as another member of the political sheep society, you rant on how wonderful and what a good job Amy is doing, my question is a very simple one and one I am sure you will understand. WHAT HAS SHE DONE. It would appear she is only politics as usual.
Smokey

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jan 3, 2010
 
"At the air base, she presented Vikings football caps to a group of Minnesota soldiers, she said. "They were all in good spirits and embraced Gen. McChrystal's mission enthusiastically."

She said the delegation would return to Washington in a "few days."

Wow, what a senator. Makes me proud to be a Minnesotan.
Vinnie Barbarino

Barron, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jan 3, 2010
 
Political nuisance wrote:
What is it with these politicians. Her going to Afghanistan makes no sense at all, unless she is fully armed with weapons and willing and able to use them to fight the enemy, otherwise all that politicians do is get in the way and limit the military and the job they are faced with, instead of assigning extra security to protect and make sure the political sight seers over there on vacation do not get hurt. There is enough problems right here in America that she should be concerned with, which obviously she is not.What is it with these politicians. Her going to Afghanistan makes no sense at all, unless she is fully armed with weapons and willing and able to use them to fight the enemy, otherwise all that politicians do is get in the way and limit the military and the job they are faced with, instead of assigning extra security to protect and make sure the political sight seers over there on vacation do not get hurt. There is enough problems right here in America that she should be concerned with, which obviously she is not.
Politicians from both sides of the aisle have been doing this since these wars started. I suppose there are those who are impressed by this and see it as a sign of interest in getting things done right. For some, if not most, it's probably just a photo op. Personally, I think that it is just a waste of time and resources, regardless of the person's party affiliation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of70
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Judd Gregg Discussions

Search the Judd Gregg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Wyden bringing ambitious agenda to a powerful n... Jan '14 fatbacks x 1
Report: NH roads, bridges failing fast (Feb '13) Feb '13 grounded in reality 1
Ayotte Joins Senate GOP Leadership (Jan '13) Jan '13 Ninthman 1
Bi-partisan NH group calls for focus on nationa... (Oct '12) Oct '12 southie 1
Commerce Secretary Bryson Taking Leave Of Absence (Jun '12) Jun '12 CHECK SIX 2
Sen. Murkowski's fresh energy plan to look beyo... (May '12) May '12 Le Jimbo 5
Romney urges Obama to stop looming military cuts (Nov '11) Nov '11 Le Jimbo 76
•••
•••
•••
•••