Nolan: Sounding the rally cry

Nolan: Sounding the rally cry

There are 47 comments on the The Reporter story from Sep 22, 2010, titled Nolan: Sounding the rally cry. In it, The Reporter reports that:

As far as I'm concerned, the Rally to Restore Sanity cannot start soon enough. Scheduled for Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Richisright

West Sacramento, CA

#43 Sep 28, 2010
shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I beg to differ. This country is a representative democracy. The people in office were duly elected by the electorate and thus represent those in America, whether they voted or not. You had the opportunity to vote and just because you don't like who represents you in office, doesn't mean you don't have representation. The "equal representation" you refer to is a part of the Great Compromise that created Congress. The house of representatives is based on population and the Senate on equal representation.
If you want services in America you have to pay for them. You may believe we pay to much taxes but I say we don't. Only 50% of Americans pay taxes and that has affected our economy. As for "elevating" one person over another - I don't see where giving a certain group their civil rights takes away from another. It may violate their beliefs, but they still have their civil rights.
Actually, Shadow, this is a representative republic which is to say we have reprsentatives who are elected to defend the best interests of their constituents, but comport with the Constitution first and foremost. We use a democratic (majority) vote to pass measures and vote in representatives, but that is where our democratic process ends.
I would agree that just because my two Senators do not represent my political viewpoint does not constitute 'no representation.' HOWEVER, when those two senators vote against the majority interest of their constituency (on ObamaCare, for example) then they are NOT representing me or the interests of their constituency or the interests of the American people - THAT in fact constitutes NO REPRESENTATION, at best, TYRANNY, at worst.

You cannot give one group preference without doing damage to individual liberties. Think about preferences and set-asides, affirmative action and government subsidies for one group over another - ALL of those government actions DAMAGE my civil liberties because I PAY for the promotion of others over me while also having my legal standing as a sovereign individual devalued since I am not part of the group being "preferred."
These kinds of preferences are found throughout the Healthcare bill and are totally unconstitutional.

You are correct that not enough tax is paid by half of America. The poorest Americans pay the least in tax while using the most in government services - our progressive tax system is completely upside down and again, violates the civil rights of every American who is paying a higher percentage than his neighbor, while receiving no more in goods or services; often less.
That is neither representative democracy or republic or equal representation under the law.

At least half of the laws passed by the federal government should be repealed. The Federal Budget should be slashed by 50% and every member of Congress should be subject to every law they pass.
Right Is Wrong Again

Sacramento, CA

#44 Sep 28, 2010
shadow wrote:
I disagree with you Rich, the reason the Bill of Rights were added to the constitution were to guarantee the personal freedoms of individuals who felt disenfranchised by the original articles. The 14th amendment supports that sense of social justice through the laws.
You can call "social justice" what you like but it is the same idea and ideal. There are many terms we use in society today that are not in the Constitution yet the Supreme Court has confirmed the concepts throughout the years (separate but equal, separation of church and state, etc.)
A country without social justice will not exist for long. There have been many bloody riots, battles, and at least one domestic war fought by citizens in order to pursue social justice, the civil war.

The libertards will have you believe that our country should follow the Constitution literally, word by word, with no deviation, except when a 'activist reading' favoring corporate power is in order. They don't want to acknowledge, or are ignorant of the fact, that their chosen course of inaction has been tried, with disastrous results. Robert Reich is correct when he says this about two of history's proponents of the libertard ideal: "Herbert Hoover and Andrew Mellon thought their economic policies would purge the rottenness out of the system and lead to a more moral life. Instead, it purged morality out of the system and lead to a more rotten life for millions of Americans."

Their intended policies consisted of liquidating labor and just about everything else of substance in America. Of course, they being rich white males would have been left untouched after a tsunami of economic and moral destruction unleashed upon the land.

It's no coincidence that the tea baggers and their libertard members, and including the bulk of the established segment of the repugnant party too spineless to stand up to these extremists who envision taking our country back to the 18th century, have at the heart of their plans for America no Social Security, no Medicare, no Unemployment Benefits, and no government social programs that have come about through the recognition of a need to address the types of social injustice inherent in a nation that practices an ever changing hybrid of capitalism favoring the rich through government subsidies, government tax breaks on income and expenses, access to natural resources for pennies on the dollar, a willingness to allow American corporations to give American jobs to foreign countries in order to further increase profits at the expense of their American citizens, and on and on.

There is no room for social justice in an America increasingly dominated by the kinds of far right wingnuts growing in popularity at this moment in time, but as history has shown their time will be short, and America will get back on the correct course for an advancing civilization.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#45 Sep 29, 2010
Kind of far-flung RiWA, but a good read.

Social justice? Like, I have a nice little truck, and you think you should have that truck?

Or, social justice as in - The fair distribution of advantages, assets, and benefits among all members of a society.

Why would the country be dominated by extreme right wingers? That isn't true.
Richisright

West Sacramento, CA

#46 Sep 29, 2010
Granny in the Crosswalk wrote:
Kind of far-flung RiWA, but a good read.
Social justice? Like, I have a nice little truck, and you think you should have that truck?
Or, social justice as in - The fair distribution of advantages, assets, and benefits among all members of a society.
Why would the country be dominated by extreme right wingers? That isn't true.
Indeed. Wrongo does have a way with fiction. No Steven King, mind you, but a gallant effort, considering its mental and social limitations.

Location hidden

#47 Sep 29, 2010
Richisright wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Wrongo does have a way with fiction. No Steven King, mind you, but a gallant effort, considering its mental and social limitations.
It still sums up to "Give Me Your Money."
Richisright

West Sacramento, CA

#48 Sep 29, 2010
Granny in the Crosswalk wrote:
<quoted text>It still sums up to "Give Me Your Money."
SPREAD THE WEALTH! Yee HAA!!!
Now if only we could spread the intelligence, we might be able to turn this ship around.
Unfortunately, knowlege is to leftwing idealogues what a driver's license is to a cat.

Location hidden

#49 Sep 29, 2010
Richisright wrote:
<quoted text>
SPREAD THE WEALTH! Yee HAA!!!
Now if only we could spread the intelligence, we might be able to turn this ship around.
Unfortunately, knowlege is to leftwing idealogues what a driver's license is to a cat.
Do mushrooms have brains stems? LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judd Gregg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letter: Oppose tuition deal for illegal immigrants (Jun '09) May '15 Swedenforever 3
News Wyden bringing ambitious agenda to a powerful n... (Jan '14) Jan '14 fatbacks x 1
News Report: NH roads, bridges failing fast (Feb '13) Feb '13 grounded in reality 1
News Ayotte Joins Senate GOP Leadership (Jan '13) Jan '13 Ninthman 1
News Bi-partisan NH group calls for focus on nationa... (Oct '12) Oct '12 southie 1
News Commerce Secretary Bryson Taking Leave Of Absence (Jun '12) Jun '12 CHECK SIX 2
News Sen. Murkowski's fresh energy plan to look beyo... (May '12) May '12 Le Jimbo 5
More from around the web