Why the a lazy joblessa myth persists

Why the a lazy joblessa myth persists

There are 89 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Dec 17, 2010, titled Why the a lazy joblessa myth persists. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

During the recent fight over extending unemployment benefits, conservatives trotted out the shibboleth that says the program fosters sloth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

Sharon, VT

#84 Dec 25, 2010
Squirrel Eater wrote:
Merry Christmas to all the rich folks!
From the US Taxpayer.
Rich are those living in housing costing over $200,000. Wait that is welfare housing it was just in the Banner this areaa is going to spend $5,400,000 to remodel 22 housing units.
drink The HiVE

Orlando, FL

#87 Dec 25, 2010

“Squirrel Stew with Shrooms, mm”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#88 Dec 25, 2010
Jack Daniels wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go, fixed that for you. The days of these god damned leeches stealing from people who get off their ass and work for their own money are over. You can take that to the bank. This country is headed for bankrupsy due to these lowlife pieces of shit, and THAT is exactly where it needs to go. Soon, we will starve these bastards to extictinction and rid not only rthis Country, but the planet of the filth that should've been erradictaed LONG ago. For the last 60 years we've allowed these Anti-American squatters to feed off us, and now they have been cut off by not only our Government that finally woke the fuck up and straitened their asses up this year, but the people have in turn cut THEM off so that they cannot continue to do it anymore.
We've taken this Country back, and we're gonna put it back where it should've been 60 years ago, and either they can do what we tell them, or we'll do it for them, but either way that is what is gonna happen.
People here are gonna work for and pay their own way in life, because if they don't, they won't survivbe here...it's that simple. If you wanna sit on your worthless ass here, then go ahead and fire up the furnace we'll incinerate your ass in when you expire from starvation. You do nothing in this country other than destroy it, then that is exactly what you'll get in return.
Another knuckle dragging trogladite.

Location hidden

#91 Dec 26, 2010
Jack Daniels wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, indeed you are. I have a much better description of you mindless shits, but that one will suffice! It's amazing that with the reserve brain cell you have left you had the ability to reason that out for yourself...or we're you just reciting what one of our other fine Americans told you?
Are you off your meds? Or is your distillery getting all it's "reaserch and developement" for it's new bottle paid for by the taxpayers?
Glug, glug, glug...

Location hidden

#92 Dec 26, 2010
Jack Daniels wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I have a quite pleasant buzz on thankyou. That is irellevant to this topic though, and this topis is irrelevant to the eternally stupid liberals. Real Americans have ceased control of this Country and we're riding a razor's edge from an all out Civil War in the off chance our newly elected officials don't do exactly as we tell them.
When I get really drunk, I have fantasies of ruling the world too. Don't worry, it'll pass.
Geeze Louise

United States

#94 Jan 1, 2011
Not a myth.
arby

Lansing, IL

#95 Jan 1, 2011
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then explain to me why someone living in subsided housing along Benmont was carry one of the huge screen TVS up their steps the other day (I am sure they are using cable to get their programs on). Explain to me why at the grocery story I was behind someone that paid for junk food with food stamp money and then turned around and paid cash for a carton of cigarettes and 12 pack of beer. These are not isolate incidents. I see this all the time. Then take a ride to Albany's Arbor Hill area and explain to me why I see people wearing designer clothes, carrying and talking on cell phones and some pretty nice cars. Sure there are those that need help and a hand up-but not a hand out.
i've witnessed this too. i can't understand why 'squirrel-bait' defends people living off the taxpayers unless they are doing likewise.
arby

Lansing, IL

#96 Jan 1, 2011
Squirrel Eater wrote:
<quoted text>Just because they might not spend their allotment as YOU see fit doesn't mean YOU have the right to tell them what they can and cannot eat. Just because you pay taxes doesn't mean you OWN these people or can dictate their choices. That's called communism.
so how are you doing on the taxpayers dime?
arby

Lansing, IL

#97 Jan 1, 2011
Concerned wrote:
SE wrote: Who cares? You're just jealous. If someone wants to waste their $$$ on beer and they get food stamps, then what's that to you?
Evidently you do, as you responded. Jealous? Jealous of what? I come for a hardworking blue collar family and independent farmers (we don’t get any subsidies) that works their arses of for every damn dime we get. 1/2 our wages do go for food. The rest for clothing and shelter and they are all the basics. Jealous, NO, angry, YES. When someone getting our hard earned tax dollars claims to be in need of and is getting food stamps, but pays cash for a carton of cigarettes ($100+ a carton) and 12 packs of beer, they can well afford to buy groceries. I have no problem help those in real need and support program for a “hand up” NOT a “hand out”.
When my kids go to school with kids whose families have been on welfare for a couple of generations (they seem proud to admit) I get angry. When my kids tell me about the “free” lunch food these kids get and then throw out I could scream.
People in real need and getting help buy what is necessary-not crap/junk food, cigarettes and beer.
I repeat I have no problem helping/subsiding those in REAL need and support those programs BUT people in real need do not make welfare a family tradition.
You do not have a clue as to what drives the price of anything do you When people demand goods, services and creature comforts in growing and growing quantities that is what drives the market. When people demand these items at the cheapest price possible that is what drives the businesses out of the country. Are you claiming that someone in business should not make a profit?
You want to talk gas. Over 1/2 the oil in this country goes to produce products that you use in your daily life all those little goodies you want and demand. See for yourself: http://www.ranken-energy.com/Products%20from%...
Just how much “oil” is in your home? How much oil are you wearing? The more the demand for these goodies the higher the price goes per barrel. I am not even factoring in the devaluing of the US dollar, which affects oil prices. When gas was a $1.90 and less there were fewer of these products in our world.
I agree there are corporations that have taken advantage in many ways. But there are far more that provide jobs and turn their profits to Research and Development, which by the way has resulted in inventing many of those wonderful products, goods, service and creature comforts you so enjoy.
I also agree government has grown out of control. But then whose fault is that? Who elected the people who make the decisions, without knowing anything about the people they are electing, just voting based on rhetoric and spin. Who has demanded regulations to oversee how our goods, services etc., are manufactured/supplied? So who fault is that huge monster we call government?
i agree. as an added thought, why don't we put all able bodied welfare recipients to work. they could be cleaning up their neighborhoods, picking up trash along highways and doing other public works projects. if they don't show up, they lose their benefits. an added benefit would be that if they're doing something productive, the crime rate will go down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judd Gregg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump looks to refocus his presidency in addres... Mar '17 too much 274
News New Hampshire has a new governor - but only for... Jan '17 Pope Closet Emeritus 6
News UPDATE 1-Trump vs Clinton: Debate will mark big... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Kiss6729 9
News Bush calls for campaign - reset' in N.H. primary (Feb '16) Feb '16 Wehms2 2
News Letter: Oppose tuition deal for illegal immigrants (Jun '09) May '15 Swedenforever 3
News Wyden bringing ambitious agenda to a powerful n... (Jan '14) Jan '14 fatbacks x 1
News Report: NH roads, bridges failing fast (Feb '13) Feb '13 grounded in reality 1
More from around the web