Why the a lazy joblessa myth persists

Why the a lazy joblessa myth persists

There are 89 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Dec 17, 2010, titled Why the a lazy joblessa myth persists. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

During the recent fight over extending unemployment benefits, conservatives trotted out the shibboleth that says the program fosters sloth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
TruthTeller

Williston, VT

#1 Dec 18, 2010
The writer is correct, but he is suggesting that Republicans are capable of thinking about anyone but themselves and the rich. It is not possible for them to do that, or we would not have the problems, policies and declining future as a reality.
Arlington Mom

Manchester Center, VT

#2 Dec 19, 2010
TruthTeller wrote:
The writer is correct, but he is suggesting that Republicans are capable of thinking about anyone but themselves and the rich. It is not possible for them to do that, or we would not have the problems, policies and declining future as a reality.
Agree with you again.
Tired Of Flattys

United States

#3 Dec 19, 2010
The best thing this country can do for itself is to get rid of political parties.

Big waste of time

Big waste of money

Big waste of effort
Concerned

Bennington, VT

#4 Dec 19, 2010
Tired Of Flattys wrote:
The best thing this country can do for itself is to get rid of political parties.
Big waste of time
Big waste of money
Big waste of effort
Now there is a thought. Both parties are equally responsible. That is why it is so important for voters to really look at and know the people they are voting for, NO MATTER WHAT PARTY THEY ARE (Ah, but I dream).
turtler

Brookline, MA

#6 Dec 19, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Now there is a thought. Both parties are equally responsible. That is why it is so important for voters to really look at and know the people they are voting for, NO MATTER WHAT PARTY THEY ARE (Ah, but I dream).
wouldn't that be something
Geeze Louise

United States

#7 Dec 19, 2010
It's not a myth. We have a lot of lazy Americans with no pride and looking for a free ride on the TAX PAYER!!!!!!! I'm not talking about the people out of work. I'm talking about the Bums that reside right here in Hoosick Falls and Bennington, the capitals of welfare , disability, and insurance fraud.
on welfare and proud

Argyle, NY

#8 Dec 19, 2010
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY IN THIS ONE. Are they talking about me?
Hmmmm

South Deerfield, MA

#9 Dec 19, 2010
Geeze Louise wrote:
It's not a myth. We have a lot of lazy Americans with no pride and looking for a free ride on the TAX PAYER!!!!!!! I'm not talking about the people out of work. I'm talking about the Bums that reside right here in Hoosick Falls and Bennington, the capitals of welfare , disability, and insurance fraud.
I must say you're correct. I believe the goal for many people these days is to be a ward of the state. It "pays" pretty well, and you can work part time under the table and never get caught because nobody checks up on you.
It's time to end the free ride. The bum that wrote this article is clueless.
dumbest

Bennington, VT

#10 Dec 19, 2010
Yep. Look at all those jobs just sitting there...no one with the pluck and work ethic to take them because they're all on welfare...

Republicans live in a different world than the rest of us, that's the only explanation.

In our world, the banks lent money to people they shouldn't have and now they're not lending it to anyone, hence the slow economy. In Republican Land, there are thousands of jobs but only Mexicans want to do them...everyone else sleeps all day, does drugs, and collects welfare.

OR, when faced with a choice between blaming the rich person who's at fault and blaming the poor person, who's getting the shaft, the Republican will always blame the poor sap.

“Squirrel Stew with Shrooms, mm”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 19, 2010
Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
I must say you're correct. I believe the goal for many people these days is to be a ward of the state. It "pays" pretty well, and you can work part time under the table and never get caught because nobody checks up on you.
The coming war on the poor is the direct result of this type of ignorant slander. While there are a few who abuse the system, most people hate being dependant on a system that is rigged to keep them there.
"It pays pretty well".
Bullshit. You try living off of any social program and you'll find out different. And see what it's like to get a measly check and a few food stamps ONCE A MONTH. That's TWELVE times a year.
And while idgits like the above poster find it so very easy to blame the easiest target, they remain blissfully indiferent to the gazzillion dollars of corporate welfare that is the real enemy of the American worker. 99 percent of the mega corporations couldn't give a rats ass about America.
I've asked this question about twenty times on various forums...

What would put more money in your wallet today? Everyone off welfare? Or gas for 1.90 a gallon?
And what one would never put one extra dime in you pocket?

And I have yet to have one of these welfare bashers respond. I doubt they ever will.
But they can run down the less fortunate and blame them for all their problems, while warming their toesies by the warmth of the superior fire of their smug self righteousness.

Since: Jan 09

Bennington, VT

#12 Dec 20, 2010
Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Reasons to stay on welfare.{1} I don't work nights {2} I want my weekends off {3] mill work id to degrading [4] WELFARE PAYS MORE. these are just some of the things people have said over the years,
Concerned

Bennington, VT

#14 Dec 20, 2010
Squirrel Eater wrote:
<quoted text>
The coming war on the poor is the direct result of this type of ignorant slander. While there are a few who abuse the system, most people hate being dependant on a system that is rigged to keep them there.
"It pays pretty well".
****. You try living off of any social program and you'll find out different. And see what it's like to get a measly check and a few food stamps ONCE A MONTH. That's TWELVE times a year.
And while idgits like the above poster find it so very easy to blame the easiest target, they remain blissfully indiferent to the gazzillion dollars of corporate welfare that is the real enemy of the American worker. 99 percent of the mega corporations couldn't give a rats **** about America.
I've asked this question about twenty times on various forums...
What would put more money in your wallet today? Everyone off welfare? Or gas for 1.90 a gallon?
And what one would never put one extra dime in you pocket?
And I have yet to have one of these welfare bashers respond. I doubt they ever will.
But they can run down the less fortunate and blame them for all their problems, while warming their toesies by the warmth of the superior fire of their smug self righteousness.
Well, then explain to me why someone living in subsided housing along Benmont was carry one of the huge screen TVS up their steps the other day (I am sure they are using cable to get their programs on). Explain to me why at the grocery story I was behind someone that paid for junk food with food stamp money and then turned around and paid cash for a carton of cigarettes and 12 pack of beer. These are not isolate incidents. I see this all the time. Then take a ride to Albany's Arbor Hill area and explain to me why I see people wearing designer clothes, carrying and talking on cell phones and some pretty nice cars. Sure there are those that need help and a hand up-but not a hand out.

Location hidden

#15 Dec 20, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then explain to me why someone living in subsided housing along Benmont was carry one of the huge screen TVS up their steps the other day (I am sure they are using cable to get their programs on). Explain to me why at the grocery story I was behind someone that paid for junk food with food stamp money and then turned around and paid cash for a carton of cigarettes and 12 pack of beer. These are not isolate incidents. I see this all the time. Then take a ride to Albany's Arbor Hill area and explain to me why I see people wearing designer clothes, carrying and talking on cell phones and some pretty nice cars. Sure there are those that need help and a hand up-but not a hand out.
Who cares? You're just jealous. If someone wants to waste their $$$ on beer and they get food stamps, then what's that to you?
Answer the damn question. What would help YOU most. Cheaper gas or no welfare. Poor people aren't driving up the price of gas. NO ONE ever answers the question. Do you actually believe if no one recieved a dime in welfare it would help you one bit? Think the IRS is going to send you a big fat check? Lower your taxes? Hah! I don't think so. You need to look at WHY you think these people are hurting YOU. They are not.
And another thing folks never realize is just how much we ALL recieve from various government subsidies. The food of EVERY American is subsidized, resulting in the cheapest food on earth. In most countries you would be paying HALF your wages to eat.
Quit worshiping the damn corporations who are driving up the price of EVERYTHING and lowering their service in order to rake in the billions. They are the problem. Not some poor slob on welfare or SSI. I assure you, the government can always find a dumber use for your tax dollars.
Crazy Bernie

Albany, NY

#16 Dec 20, 2010
Arlington Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree with you again.
Oh god I hope your child is grown. Anyone who agrees with the hatred spewed by Truth Teller should not be around young children.
Geeze Louise

Williamstown, MA

#17 Dec 20, 2010
Crazy Bernie wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh god I hope your child is grown. Anyone who agrees with the hatred spewed by Truth Teller should not be around young children.
If it were a FEW 3who used the system it would not be as bad but it's not just a few and the old adage you work hard and you will be rewarded has gone to do nothing and the rewards are plenty. These are the same families that hold back the school systems and demand all kinds of services.
MAU Wrestler

Schenectady, NY

#18 Dec 20, 2010
Never thought I would agree with Louise but he is right.I am amazed everytime I go to the store and get behind someone in line with their multiple kids.The conveyor full of Doritos and Ho Ho's, 5 2 liter bottles of Pepsi and other assorted crap.And they pull out their food stamp card to pay for it.It does not take a genius to see there is something wrong with this picture.
Kornback Rattler

Odessa, TX

#19 Dec 20, 2010
I agree!
GDog

Miami, FL

#20 Dec 20, 2010
Can't do anything about it because some poor old lady on a fixed income might like an occasional twinkie. Sorry taxpayers, don't want to infringe on the "rights" of people who live off our forced generosity.

Location hidden

#21 Dec 20, 2010
MAU Wrestler wrote:
Never thought I would agree with Louise but he is right.I am amazed everytime I go to the store and get behind someone in line with their multiple kids.The conveyor full of Doritos and Ho Ho's, 5 2 liter bottles of Pepsi and other assorted crap.And they pull out their food stamp card to pay for it.It does not take a genius to see there is something wrong with this picture.
Just because they might not spend their allotment as YOU see fit doesn't mean YOU have the right to tell them what they can and cannot eat. Just because you pay taxes doesn't mean you OWN these people or can dictate their choices. That's called communism.
Beaver Eater

United States

#22 Dec 20, 2010
Beggers can't be choosers, if I am forced to give my hard earned money to lazy, useless, over weight, dumb, leach off the system low lifes then I have every right to tell them what to do with the money!!!!! If they don't like it, get off their aaaaazzzzzzes and find a job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Judd Gregg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bush calls for campaign - reset' in N.H. primary Feb '16 Wehms2 2
News Letter: Oppose tuition deal for illegal immigrants (Jun '09) May '15 Swedenforever 3
News Wyden bringing ambitious agenda to a powerful n... (Jan '14) Jan '14 fatbacks x 1
News Report: NH roads, bridges failing fast (Feb '13) Feb '13 grounded in reality 1
News Ayotte Joins Senate GOP Leadership (Jan '13) Jan '13 Ninthman 1
News Bi-partisan NH group calls for focus on nationa... (Oct '12) Oct '12 southie 1
News Commerce Secretary Bryson Taking Leave Of Absence (Jun '12) Jun '12 CHECK SIX 2
More from around the web