Albemarle Supervisor Seeks to Re-Name...

Albemarle Supervisor Seeks to Re-Name Meadow Creek Parkway - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News,...

There are 24 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 2, 2012, titled Albemarle Supervisor Seeks to Re-Name Meadow Creek Parkway - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News,.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The controversial Meadow Creek Parkway may be getting a new name in Albemarle County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Guy Fawke

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 2, 2012
I guess a name must be a priority before they can build it. I guess city council doesn't have much to do beside throwing away tax money.
Valley Farmer

Wytheville, VA

#2 Jan 2, 2012
Great idea. A good Senator who has served Virginia and his country well.
The Bear

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jan 2, 2012
How about the part leading out of town be called Norris Highway and the part leading towards C-ville called Freeloaders Highway?
missing something

Atlanta, GA

#4 Jan 2, 2012
How about following through on your headline? Which supervisor is seeking to re-name the road? Or should the headline read "Supervisors Seek". Details matter.
Jonas pepper

United States

#5 Jan 2, 2012
how about "Fleeting Drive" since it is fleeting due to the politics?
Mounument to Taxpayers

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 2, 2012
First, let's forget about ol' McIntire; he only gave the land to for a park, never even imagining a public road through it. No vision.

Now Warner; that's got panache! And was married to Liz Taylor! So why stop there when we can name it after her? And Richard Burton, too! I suggest that it be called the Warner/Taylor/Burton Parkway and that we have a sidewalk along it where all the local celebs can make their hand (or face) imprints for all of posterity to admire.

This will become a tourist attraction for those headed to the Crozet train tunnel from the culturally bereft areas to our north, like Washington, D.C. and will bring much-needed revenue to the city and county through meal taxes when these intrepid cultural explorers stop at our local food emporiums for a fried animal sandwich.

We'll need a roadkill identification chart to pick up free at either end.

Let the naming begin!
TRuth

Ruckersville, VA

#9 Jan 2, 2012
Mounument to Taxpayers wrote:
First, let's forget about ol' McIntire; he only gave the land to for a park, never even imagining a public road through it. No vision.
Now Warner; that's got panache! And was married to Liz Taylor! So why stop there when we can name it after her? And Richard Burton, too! I suggest that it be called the Warner/Taylor/Burton Parkway and that we have a sidewalk along it where all the local celebs can make their hand (or face) imprints for all of posterity to admire.
This will become a tourist attraction for those headed to the Crozet train tunnel from the culturally bereft areas to our north, like Washington, D.C. and will bring much-needed revenue to the city and county through meal taxes when these intrepid cultural explorers stop at our local food emporiums for a fried animal sandwich.
We'll need a roadkill identification chart to pick up free at either end.
Let the naming begin!
I like your idea of a celebs walkway but it should be "Posteriors for Posterity." The "butt print" events could be very interesting!
TRuth

Ruckersville, VA

#10 Jan 2, 2012
Who would want their name over a single-lane (each way) bottle-neck of a roadway leading to yet another traffic-jammed intersection?
Robert

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 3, 2012
Why not name it after a Afro American,is there anything name after a Afro American here?
My two cents

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure a name is what people care about. They just want it finished! Talk about wasted energy.
2020abcd

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jan 3, 2012
What road?
occupy freedom

United States

#14 Jan 3, 2012
we have waited so long for the "meadowcreek parkway" - it s/b "meadowcreek parkway" period
cromwell

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jan 3, 2012
Guy Fawke wrote:
I guess a name must be a priority before they can build it. I guess city council doesn't have much to do beside throwing away tax money.
guess you mis-read the story, guy -- it's the county bos who wants to rename it, not the cville cc. please try harder to inform yourself before knee-jerk reacting next time.
cromwell

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jan 3, 2012
My two cents wrote:
I'm not sure a name is what people care about. They just want it finished! Talk about wasted energy.
Agreed. Also, why have yet another area road that changes its name mid-route for no apparent reason? You know that the county bos naming its section after an old gop stalwart will just provoke cville cc into naming its section after a lefty equivalent. I propose, intsead, to stick with local tradition, and name random segments of the thing after garth, rugby, 3-notch'd, etc., just to keep the tourists on their toes.
Bob

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jan 3, 2012
Robert wrote:
Why not name it after a Afro American,is there anything name after a Afro American here?
Well, we have the "Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. Performing Arts Center." Perhaps we can use that appropriate and eponymous name again for the nearby parkway. And, while we are at it, maybe we can do something really meaningful and rename the Rotunda the "Sally Hemings Building."
TEX

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jan 3, 2012
I suggest "The road to nowhere" Or "Taxpayers Folly"
Central VA Marine

Crozet, VA

#19 Jan 3, 2012
Why name the road after a politician who lived off of his wives' income, political welfare from rich donors and fed at the trough of Congress. Wait a minute. The useless road has not been completed. It's only half done. Go ahead, the late Congressman John Warner is appropriate at this point. And when the road is open and working, we can choose another name. Someone who actually makes a difference in peoples lives. There must be a hero of some sort who lived in Central Virginia.

Oh, my name is all ready taken. Sorry

more to come
buyerbeware

Crozet, VA

#20 Jan 3, 2012
Central VA Marine wrote:
Why name the road after a politician who lived off of his wives' income, political welfare from rich donors and fed at the trough of Congress. Wait a minute. The useless road has not been completed. It's only half done. Go ahead, the late Congressman John Warner is appropriate at this point. And when the road is open and working, we can choose another name. Someone who actually makes a difference in peoples lives. There must be a hero of some sort who lived in Central Virginia.
more to come
already...nice ego!
Valley Farmer

Wytheville, VA

#21 Jan 3, 2012
Central VA Marine wrote:
more to come
Senator John W. Warner, Republican of Virginia, retired in January 2009 after five terms as one of the Republican Party's most respected voices on military affairs. In recent years he stood at the center of the debate over military issues and the war in Iraq in particular – a courtly, widely valued lawmaker who often played the role of consensus-builder.

He was one of the dwindling band of World War II veterans in the Senate, having joined the Navy in 1945 at 17, then returned to active duty as a Marine Corps officer in 1950 at the outbreak of the Korean War. After a career in law, he was appointed Under Secretary of the Navy in 1969, rising to serve as Secretary of the Navy from 1972 to 1974. He was elected to the Senate in 1978, and re-elected four more times, most times handily.-N.Y Times

You are obviously not a Marine or you would know this. Since you are merely a fraud, I would not consider naming a road after you.
A reader

Piney River, VA

#22 Jan 3, 2012
Robert wrote:
YES< the Martin Luther King Performing Arts Center which is the auditorium at Charlottesville High!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Warner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former GOP Virginia Senator John Warner to endo... Sep '16 Herbert Walker 2
News Warner dusts off 55 mph Speed Limit (Jul '08) Jun '16 litesong 60
News Sharing Economy Workers Need 'Safety Net,' U.S.... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Gary 2
News Why skeptics must heed climate change (Sep '09) May '15 litesong 1,519
News A commencement speech that challenges Sweet Bri... (May '15) May '15 Will Dockery 1
News Some 60,000 vets are triple dipping on benefits (Nov '14) Mar '15 Jaimie 16
News Report says 60,000 veterans get triple benefits (Nov '14) Nov '14 billieu123 6
More from around the web