Signs of spring's arrival

Signs of spring's arrival

There are 13 comments on the Bluefield Daily Telegraph story from Mar 27, 2011, titled Signs of spring's arrival. In it, Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports that:

March is about gone. Spring is here - according to the calendar. "The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bluefield Daily Telegraph.

Marie Miller

Oak Hill, WV

#1 Mar 27, 2011
The Rhodell post office needs to be left open. The people here are afraid of there mail being stolen if sent to there homes. The Rhodell post office has people from Amigo getting there mail in Rhodell. So Rhodell reeally needs its post office left open.
my two cents

New Hope, VA

#2 Mar 27, 2011
Marie Miller wrote:
The Rhodell post office needs to be left open. The people here are afraid of there mail being stolen if sent to there homes. The Rhodell post office has people from Amigo getting there mail in Rhodell. So Rhodell reeally needs its post office left open.
Call me crazy but what does the post office have to do with spring? Start a new thread, sweetie, and you might get some feedback!
my two cents

New Hope, VA

#3 Mar 28, 2011
my two cents wrote:
<quoted text>Call me crazy but what does the post office have to do with spring? Start a new thread, sweetie, and you might get some feedback!
I don't think spring will ever come (as I sit at my window watching it snow). Is this el niño or what! We only have about 3 months of summer anymore! Winter is starting in October and going through march and April! I definately need to move south!
I KNOW

Princeton, WV

#4 Mar 28, 2011
Maybe so but the colder "snaps" have gone all the way into Florida...at least most of the houses here are somewhat built to survive in the cold.
ernie

Princeton, WV

#5 Mar 28, 2011
I would like a butterscotch ice cream cone but it's too cold to eat it
WEST

United States

#6 Mar 28, 2011
ernie wrote:
I would like a butterscotch ice cream cone but it's too cold to eat it
SOUNDS LIKE YOU ERNIE WANT SOME MINERAL WATER TO GO WWITH IT
luckycharm

United States

#7 Mar 30, 2011
Our plum tree's used to produce every Summer, the last 3yrs I have'nt got 1 plum. The seasons are so different than what they used to be. I can remember as a kid the month of April would be so warm, some rain but always warm. Times are changing, cant ever remember Winter being so harsh and cold as it has in the past few yrs. I long for the hot days too, seems like it won't ever get here.
LOL

Bradenton, FL

#8 Mar 30, 2011
You know it's spring when obama orders new 'Recovery summer' banners and other advertising aids.
my five cents worth

Oak Hill, WV

#9 Apr 5, 2011
Well, lets see, If you actually read the article that goes along with this topic, maybe you would know why the original poster on here posted her comment. So I think my five cents trumps your two cents.
my five cents worth

Oak Hill, WV

#10 Apr 5, 2011
March 27, 2011
Signs of spring’s arrival

By WILSON BUTT Bluefield Daily Telegraph

March is about gone. Spring is here — according to the calendar.“The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month,” noted Henry Van Dyke.

The forsythia is in bloom and that is an indication spring has arrived. The forsythia plant is native to China and is so named for William Forsyth, the director of the Chelsea Physic Garden in 1770, maker of the first rock garden in the UK, and one of the founders of the Royal Horticultural Society.

Another sign that it’s spring is that the regular session of the Legislature has adjourned — and that’s probably a good thing. My father often said that the Legislature ought not to meet but once every 10 years. It was his contention that every time the Legislature met they chipped away at some of our rights. Perhaps he had a point.

When things couldn’t seem to get much worse for this area, the news that Bluefield’s population has suffered a further decline was not welcome. There is also news that property values have declined.

The possible closure of the Bluefield Post Office Processing and Distribution Center is also a blow, as those jobs are needed here.

More bad news for southern West Virginia is the fact that the postal service has initiated discontinuance studies for 18 post offices in southern West Virginia. Incidentally, two-thirds of the studies in this state are in the southern counties.

The only good news is that this round of studies did not include any postal facilities in Mercer County but McDowell did not fare so well. Post offices that will be studied in McDowell County include Eckman, Elkhorn, Jenkinjones and Hensley. The Rhodell post office is among those targeted in Raleigh County. Rhodell is a small incorporated town. Without a post office, the town might as well be erased from the map.

The closing of the town post office is simply not fair to a small, incorporated town or to any of the other small communities in our area. Sen. Robert C. Byrd would not have permitted this to happen. Only Congressman Rahall has spoken out and I doubt that either Sen. Manchin or Sen. Rockefeller will take a stand against any closings in southern West Virginia.

Congressman Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., made a statement concerning the proposed merger of AT&T and T-Mobile. The Congressman said,“The proposed merger between AT&T and T-Mobile deserves appropriate scrutiny by federal regulators, the Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission. The opportunities for entire regions in rural America, that currently lack sufficient mobile broadband coverage, appear significant from the initial information I have seen and read. The potential for local job growth and service enhancement and innovation sounds promising.

“Extending service to rural areas, all the while maintaining competition nationally, can and should go hand in hand,” he added.“Congress should continue to closely monitor the industry’s market in this increasingly important and expanding service in the lives of our nation’s families.”

There are communities in this area that do not have good wireless telephone coverage and there are some communities that have none.
James

Waltham, MA

#11 Apr 6, 2011
I'm hoping the spring can come sonner. My son coughed a lot lately. And I took him on a cruise and he was fine and didn't cough at all. Now after cruise and back to house, he starts to cough again. winter is way too long.

James @ homegardeningchannel.com
Eristotle

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Apr 6, 2011
luckycharm wrote:
Our plum tree's used to produce every Summer, the last 3yrs I have'nt got 1 plum. The seasons are so different than what they used to be. I can remember as a kid the month of April would be so warm, some rain but always warm. Times are changing, cant ever remember Winter being so harsh and cold as it has in the past few yrs. I long for the hot days too, seems like it won't ever get here.
"cant ever remember Winter being so harsh and cold as it has in the past few yrs."

That's Global Warming for you.
Eristotle

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Apr 6, 2011
Signs of spring's arrival...

Indianapolis...Zone 5...Magnolias are blooming, Bradford pears getting ready to...daffodils are abloom, and I've got one (1) tulip blooming...and more plants sprouting everywhere.

Ground has thawed and it's time to dig. WHEE!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Rockefeller Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the most critical biography of JDR? (Mar '17) Mar '17 Mindcoin 1
News W.Va.-native receives Silver Star for combat ac... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Desert Storm vet 2
News Michigan's Dingell, longest-serving lawmaker, t... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Le Jimbo 5
News Tennant for U.S. Senate? (Aug '13) Aug '13 LynnPK 1
News Patriot Coal, politicians react to bankruptcy d... (May '13) Jun '13 Brian 6
News Videogames under fire, Hollywood lays low after... (Dec '12) Dec '12 NOTthechildren 94
News Ed Rabel: Lincoln County shorted on road repairs (Aug '12) Aug '12 Haddy 2
More from around the web