No-fly zone in Syria 'no less than an act of war,' top general says

Full story: Christian Science Monitor

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington in this June 4 file photo.
Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Jul 23, 2013
2 Cents

Taipei, Taiwan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

We should leave the Syrians alone but I doubt we will. People asks haven't we learned anything from Libya and Egypt. The answer is yes, we have learned how to even better destabilize a country and we intend to that everywhere that resists our domination. Our quest for empire will bankrupt us as a country but that's ok because our military industrial complex will get insanely rich in the process.
McQuan

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

2 Cents wrote:
We should leave the Syrians alone but I doubt we will. People asks haven't we learned anything from Libya and Egypt. The answer is yes, we have learned how to even better destabilize a country and we intend to that everywhere that resists our domination. Our quest for empire will bankrupt us as a country but that's ok because our military industrial complex will get insanely rich in the process.
From a distance, it sounds logical to say that the world should leave Syria's problems to Syria. But then if all those Arab countries one day decide to attack Israel, the world will ask themselves again "Should we leave this Israelo-Arab problem to themselves. The answer is No ... because this oil rich region cannot be left alone and also because Israel is surrounded by many Arab countries which want to destroy Israel.

The same thing for the Spratlys. This East sea/West sea/south China sea cannot be left alone to the South East Asian nations to solve the problem between themselves. This East Sea is crucial for the world to move goods from the west to the east and vice versa.
2 Cents

Taipei, Taiwan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

McQuan wrote:
<quoted text>
From a distance, it sounds logical to say that the world should leave Syria's problems to Syria. But then if all those Arab countries one day decide to attack Israel, the world will ask themselves again "Should we leave this Israelo-Arab problem to themselves. The answer is No ... because this oil rich region cannot be left alone and also because Israel is surrounded by many Arab countries which want to destroy Israel.
Supporting the Syrian rebels will leave Syria in the hands of people who are even more hostile to Israel. The Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt comes to mind as what the people in the middle east really want. Whether you agree with this or not, a no fly zone alone will cost U.S. taxpayers $1 billion a month. As far as I'm concerned, our track record for interventions sucks as we have done more harm than good - both to us and the foreign countries involved. We're good at destroying a "regime" and wrecking the whole country in the process but suck at putting it back together. If anything, China has benefited in Iraq and will likely benefit in Afghanistan as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••