Transforming the VA will be daunting ...

Transforming the VA will be daunting task

There are 4 comments on the Windsor Beacon story from Jul 6, 2014, titled Transforming the VA will be daunting task. In it, Windsor Beacon reports that:

It seems nearly every day there's more bad news about the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and how it has treated those who served in the military.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Windsor Beacon.

Viet Nam Vet

Chillicothe, OH

#1 Jul 6, 2014
Throwing more money at the VA is not the answer. The only answer is to crush the current management system and throw it in the trash. People MUST be held accountable, now and forever. If the VA cannot be changed, it should be closed. If Congress really wants to make a change, how about giving every veteran a health care card that they can use ANYWHERE they choose and let the VA actually compete with the real world for the veterans' loyality (and medical care dollars). If the VA cannot improve themselves and actually earn the trust of this nation's veterans, it should be closed. Our veterans deserve the BEST care available not the third world medicine they have been forced to endure for too many years.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#2 Jul 7, 2014
AND WHEN do they plan on reorganizing this VA system? How long will that take? So far...what has happened to prove to veterans that the VA can be trusted?
I am so disillusioned about the care from the VA hospitals, I have had to go outside the VA system where I can check the doctors credibility, past history and research thoroughly to feel confident with the treating doctor. The VA does not have this option. So what has changed for veterans?
Results is what builds trust and I don't see any forthcoming!
yepp

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jul 7, 2014
changing anything in government union desk jockeys that are comfy with their non-fireable jobs will be tough

any attempt at making them actually do their job will result in these unionized crybabies running sobbing to their union bosses

worst thing ever was allowing taxpayer paid govt employees to unionize
Viet Nam Vet

Chillicothe, OH

#4 Jul 7, 2014
yepp wrote:
changing anything in government union desk jockeys that are comfy with their non-fireable jobs will be tough
any attempt at making them actually do their job will result in these unionized crybabies running sobbing to their union bosses
worst thing ever was allowing taxpayer paid govt employees to unionize
While I agree that any Government Union is a waste of resources AND only serve the purpose of protecting incompetant and lazy Government employees from being fired or properly disciplined, Union members ARE NOT at fault for the problems.

The VAs current problems are directly related to a small group of Middle Management employees that belong to the Senior Executive Service. SES employees lie directly between the working Supervisors at each VA and those that are political appointees. The SES was a creation of a Democratic controlled Congress and signed into law by our Peanut President just before he left office. It is unique among Federal Laws in that it protects SES employees from most severe disciplinary actions (even from the Secretary) such as termination and has created a group of Federal employees who can be correctly called "untouchables". The problems we see within the VA today, all over the country, can be directly connected to one or more SES employees at each identified Medical Center or to their immediate Supervisors at the VISN level. It's SES employees who were the ones seeking and recieving large and mostly unjustified performance bonuses that individually run into the 10's of thousands and MILLIONS of dollars out of the VA's budget EVERY year.

If Congress fails to abolish the SES, any other changes to the structure and function of the VA system will mean nothing. Those within the SES will eventually return to their ways and our veterans will continue to suffer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John McCain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 9 hr WasteWater 10,498
News Time to Say Thank You and Goodbye to Sen. McCai... Wed Wildchild 1
News McCain: Torture 'damaged' U.S. security (Dec '14) Jul 23 swedenforever 6
News Bob Dole reflects on Trump, the GOP and more Jul 20 WasteWater 1
News Tunnel collapse risk studied at busy Arizona bo... Jul 20 serfs up 4
News GOP at war with itself Jul 19 WasteWater 1,561
News Bachmann Calls Bush's Bailout Decision an Act o... (Nov '11) Jul 12 Obsession 42
More from around the web