Allen and Kaine Go Head-to-Head in Se...

Allen and Kaine Go Head-to-Head in Senate Debate - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports an...

There are 16 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Dec 7, 2011, titled Allen and Kaine Go Head-to-Head in Senate Debate - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports an.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The race to replace Jim Webb in the United States Senate is in full swing. Wednesday former governors Tim Kaine and George Allen went head-to-head for their first debate of the 2012 election season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Amanda

Rocky Mount, VA

#1 Dec 7, 2011
You wouldn't know it from today's debate, but there are SEVEN other candidates running from U.S. Senate besides Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee. Virginia Associated Press decided to hold an unprecedented General Election debate before either party held primary debates. In their arrogance, VAP essentially told the voters the others don't matter and they picked the nominees. Nice, huh?

Reporter Derick Waller is right - mostly Allen and Kaine spewed out the same tired positions we've heard from them before. Do you honestly believe either man is going to serve in the Senate with the kind of boldness and new approaches necessary to turn America around? If not, please investigate the other candidates to at least see if there is a better alternative.
Macaca

Ferrum, VA

#2 Dec 8, 2011
If allen won would he require federal workers remove games from their PC to save money?
Staunton Leo

Staunton, VA

#3 Dec 8, 2011
It is time "The People" take control of government and not the press or major political parties. There are other candidates for the senate seat which voters should investigate. VOTING IN THE PRIMARIES IS IMPORTANT. We need to get rid of these two "insiders" and elect someone who will stand up for the constitution.
GoUVa

Bristow, VA

#4 Dec 8, 2011
Staunton Leo wrote:
It is time "The People" take control of government and not the press or major political parties. There are other candidates for the senate seat which voters should investigate. VOTING IN THE PRIMARIES IS IMPORTANT. We need to get rid of these two "insiders" and elect someone who will stand up for the constitution.
Finally someone else has seen the light. You are 100% right that it is time to elect new blood with new ideas instead of the same people that know how to play the game. The game I am referring to is the "blame game" that is so popular with our elected officials today. It's all somebody else's fault but re-elect me because it isn't my fault. That statement has plagued politics for many years now. I'm with you on this one and I will be shopping for some new blood come November.
flex

Crozet, VA

#5 Dec 8, 2011
GoUVa wrote:
<quoted text>Finally someone else has seen the light. You are 100% right that it is time to elect new blood with new ideas instead of the same people that know how to play the game. The game I am referring to is the "blame game" that is so popular with our elected officials today. It's all somebody else's fault but re-elect me because it isn't my fault. That statement has plagued politics for many years now. I'm with you on this one and I will be shopping for some new blood come November.
Vote for me I want the perks of a politician
Townie

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Dec 8, 2011
Hey, the only corporations that should have their taxes lowered are the ones not moving their factories to take advantage of cheap foreign labor, or selling items made in fireign countries.

I wonder if either candidate, or any candidate would support that?
Rita

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Dec 8, 2011
Staunton Leo wrote:
And who might that be? And what guarantee he/she won't be the same way?
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 8, 2011
"Both candidates touted their own terms as governor, both making the argument that they would be the best man to reign in spending."

Kaine actually said that? Now that's rich. Come into office with a surplus and leave us in debt with more of his pet social programs in place that only serve to increase the entitlement mentality.

Timmy, please go back home like Cynthia Neff and Tommy Periello did. Maybe he should get presidential support for his campaign (AKA kiss of death).
buyerbeware

Crozet, VA

#9 Dec 8, 2011
why does it always come down to the lesser of two (or three or seven) evils?
Quasi

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Dec 8, 2011
I wonder if, when, and if when then how many times Obama will take time off from vacation and golf to stump for his good friend Tim Kaine in Virginia?
nicknameoscar

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Dec 8, 2011
Here is a link that provides the names of the seven other candidates (you will have to scroll down a bit):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Se...

Sorry, there are probably better websites but that was the first one I ran across.

I am also one of those people that doesn't want Allen or Kaine. As others have said - why the heck would we want people that have made a career of politics; the same old stale, unimaginative jerks that only attack one another instead of stating what they want to do for us if they are elected (not that I believe they will do what they say)?

I am mad as he|| and sick of our politicians and I want true change, not just a change of ruling party - and I am employed and live a comfortable life, can you imagine how ticked off the less fortunate are (or should be).
nicknameoscar

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Dec 8, 2011
I mentioned in my previous post that I live a comfortable life. That doesn't mean that I am not scared - very scared - of what the future holds.

We are a great nation and we can be a great nation but I am very afraid of the greedy, corrupt government that is in bed with Wall Street right now. We middle class Americans had better wake up.
oh no

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Dec 8, 2011
even new blood will soon become corrupted

It's the system that needs to be corrected.
Ross

Leesburg, FL

#14 Dec 8, 2011
People need to remember that little Timmy Kaine tried to call special sessions of the legislature for the purpose of raising taxes almost every year he was in office. Because of his inempt leadership he had to close most of the rest areas on the interstates, he laid off thousands of VDOT employees. Virginia's budget was in shambles by the time this worthless piece of crap left office. It takes a lot of nerve for this clown to run for office again.

In contrast McDonald opened the rest areas, rehired VDOT employees, and has run a significant surplus over the past couple of years.

Kaine is a disaster.
nicknameoscar

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Dec 8, 2011
Ross wrote:
People need to remember that little Timmy Kaine tried to call special sessions of the legislature for the purpose of raising taxes almost every year he was in office. Because of his inempt leadership he had to close most of the rest areas on the interstates, he laid off thousands of VDOT employees. Virginia's budget was in shambles by the time this worthless piece of crap left office. It takes a lot of nerve for this clown to run for office again.
In contrast McDonald opened the rest areas, rehired VDOT employees, and has run a significant surplus over the past couple of years.
Kaine is a disaster.
I dislike Democrats and Republicans equally but I believe McDonnell is a good governor - now whether that is because he is a smart man or because he has a great team I don't know. Of course you could argue either way he is smart if he chose a great team. I would take him any day over Allen (and Kaine).
nicknameoscar

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Dec 8, 2011
oh no wrote:
even new blood will soon become corrupted
It's the system that needs to be corrected.
You are absolutely right ! The $64000 question is how. The basic problem is that greed and the quest for power are part of the psyche for a large part of the population. If I could figure out how to solve that then I would be rich and powerful :-).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jim Webb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Only 19 Months Until Election Day, And Over 19 ... (Apr '15) Mar '16 Three Days 79
News Jim Webb: 'I would not vote for' Clinton (Mar '16) Mar '16 Harry 21
News Today in History (Feb '16) Feb '16 Billy Ringo 2
News Obama smears Iran deal critics and liberals las... (Aug '15) Jan '16 Ritual Habitual 3
News Distinguished pols of 2015 (Jan '16) Jan '16 Black Annie 4
News Chafee quits 2016 presidential race (Oct '15) Oct '15 Le Jimbo 5
News Jim Webb Abandons Bid For Democratic Party... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Cat74 8
More from around the web