Webb, Navy tell Gates U.S. needs 11 carriers

Full story: WTKR 7
In the same week that Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates questioned publicly whether the U.S. Navy needs 11 aircraft carriers over the next 30 years, the Navy's chief warship buyer and Virginia Sen. Full Story
MJ Wood

Virginia Beach, VA

#1 May 8, 2010
I think Webb thinks we need all those carriers so that we can needlessly keep invading innocent countries!
Scotty

Carrollton, VA

#2 May 9, 2010
I agree 100% with Gates. I love and serve in the military myself, but feel the funds dedicated to maintaining a grossly over sized Navy could be better used elsewhere. Let's reduce the size of our Navy and focus on creating a better Naval model for the 21st Century. The need for a "blue water" Navy has passed. Littoral combat vessels are more useful for today's missions.
american profiler

Rogers City, MI

#3 May 9, 2010
The United States needs to create a GI Joe taskforce to focus on anti-terrorism.Furthermore I suspect Central Command should be using F-22 Raptors to deter Iran like President Reagan did with stealth fighters to deter Russia in the Cold War.And every american soldier should have a tri-quarter such as the ones seen on Star Trek for I truely believe that the USA has that technology and american soldiers deserve nothing less.
Military Madness

Norfolk, VA

#4 May 10, 2010
So, let's see..... We have HOW MANY RESERVISTS serving overseas to suppliment the other branches? And yet, they believe we're over end strength by several thousand? And they want to build more carriers and boats?
It's like this, Shore duty billets are coming fewer and far between for the Navy and the "Voluntold" IA's that sailors are going on seem to have become the rule, not the exception. So, if there's no money for the sailors to do the jobs they want done now.... How in the name of George Washington are they gonna come up with funds for THAT?

I'm not an economics guru or anything, but when my back account says I have no money or negative something.... It means I shouldn't be out buying new cars just because I might need a new one next week.... Good grief.

Since: Oct 08

none

#5 May 10, 2010
I say we can cut down to around 4 carriers, maybe 6 at the max.
Scotty wrote:
I agree 100% with Gates. I love and serve in the military myself, but feel the funds dedicated to maintaining a grossly over sized Navy could be better used elsewhere.
I'm guessing you aren't serving in the Navy.
Scotty wrote:
Let's reduce the size of our Navy and focus on creating a better Naval model for the 21st Century. The need for a "blue water" Navy has passed.
Until you're ordered to India. A "Green Water" navy wouldn't barely be able to reach Haiti. Europe would be out of the question.
There is no way we are going to scrap all our carriers. Hell, even Russia, who's navy is funded on shoestrings has at least one carrier.
Scotty wrote:
Littoral combat vessels are more useful for today's missions.
A ship that can do "Everything" tends to do everything poorly.

If you really think the US is going to turn into some isolationist country then you are a deluded.

Since: Oct 08

none

#6 May 10, 2010
That and scraping the entire Carrier system would be laying off thousands of sailors...
Which is why I believe you're not in the Navy.
Brotha of the Unborn

Norfolk, VA

#7 May 20, 2010
MJ Wood wrote:
I think Webb thinks we need all those carriers so that we can needlessly keep invading innocent countries!
Just like this country needs to keep killing innocent civilians in the womb and in abortion clinics!! Right!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jim Webb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A year before 2016, Iowa's full of presidential... Jan 6 RustyS 37
Webb faces scrutiny for payments to family Jan 1 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 3
First Potential Democratic Challenger To Hillar... Nov '14 Zeppelin 1
Bob McDonnell: Mitt Romney will win Virginia (Apr '12) Nov '14 Swedenforever 12
Former Va. Senator Jim Webb 'seriously looking'... Sep '14 cancer suxs 26
Webb: One show not enough to fully criticize Cl... Aug '14 Responsibility 3
Hampton VA hospital complaints catch Sen. Webb'... (Nov '09) May '14 Jill Duncan 9
More from around the web