Democratic Senator: Time to end gover...

Democratic Senator: Time to end government diversity programs

There are 14 comments on the NY Daily News story from Jul 23, 2010, titled Democratic Senator: Time to end government diversity programs. In it, NY Daily News reports that:

Sen. Jim Webb says the time has come to end federal diversity programs like affirmative action.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NY Daily News.

crazy ox3thong

Surprise, AZ

#1 Jul 23, 2010
sleeep wittt da enimo :-oooooooo
Obummer

Clermont, FL

#2 Jul 23, 2010
The Senator is stating what we've all known for many years...Someone should get a job or promotion because they more qualified or have earned a promotion regardless of race...Government diversity programs simply create more racism and it is unfair, someone shouldn't get a job or promotion based on the color of a person skin...
mr pooper

Spring Hill, FL

#3 Jul 24, 2010
JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF MANY IS THAT THE POST OFFICE GIVES blacks & hispanics 15 EXTRA POINTS ON THEIR CIVIL SERVICE TEST - OUT OF A POSSIBLE 100 POINTS!

WHITES ARE DISCRIMINATED AGAISNT BY OUR OWN GOVERNMENT!

AND LOOK HOW HORRIBLE OUR POST OFFICE IS RUN WITH THESE LAZY blacks! EVERYONE KNOWS IT - AND THEY CAN'T BE FIRED FOR DRINKING ON THE JOB, FIGHTING, GAMBLING, RAPING, INSUBORDINATION, TERRIBLE JOB PERFORMANCE...

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE LAZY MINORITIES IN GOVERNMENT - THEY ARE EVEN WORSE!!!

Since: May 10

Rooted in Reality

#4 Jul 24, 2010
mr pooper wrote:
JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF MANY IS THAT THE POST OFFICE GIVES blacks & hispanics 15 EXTRA POINTS ON THEIR CIVIL SERVICE TEST - OUT OF A POSSIBLE 100 POINTS!
AND LOOK HOW HORRIBLE OUR POST OFFICE IS RUN WITH THESE LAZY blacks! EVERYONE KNOWS IT - AND THEY CAN'T BE FIRED FOR DRINKING ON THE JOB, FIGHTING, GAMBLING, RAPING, INSUBORDINATION, TERRIBLE JOB PERFORMANCE...
AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE LAZY MINORITIES IN GOVERNMENT - THEY ARE EVEN WORSE!!!
Well it seems to me that 15 points is reasonable because spelling Shaemieka or Alfonsotazwan or Hector followed by 12 other names is difficult. And I'm sure we are all in awe of the job performance they do. Makes one wish they were running other things like ohhhh say, HEALTHCARE?

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#5 Jul 24, 2010
How bad it must be if a DEMOCRAT is calling for an end to these programs.
Amerikenya Suks

Bronx, NY

#6 Jul 24, 2010
This turd is lying to his white constituency to get re elected. He knows that the Dumbokrats are toast this November. He voted for every single one of Obama's Marxist programs. The only honest politician is one who isn't wasting air any longer.

Since: Feb 10

Richmond, VA

#7 Jul 24, 2010
Amerikenya Suks wrote:
This turd is lying to his white constituency to get re elected. He knows that the Dumbokrats are toast this November. He voted for every single one of Obama's Marxist programs. The only honest politician is one who isn't wasting air any longer.
I doubt that is the case as he is not up for election this year.

Not saying he is honest, just that your assumption is slightly incorrect.

“Free and Fair Elections”

Since: Jan 09

Zumbrota, MN

#8 Jul 24, 2010
Obummer wrote:
The Senator is stating what we've all known for many years...Someone should get a job or promotion because they more qualified or have earned a promotion regardless of race...Government diversity programs simply create more racism and it is unfair, someone shouldn't get a job or promotion based on the color of a person skin...
Of course you know that isn't how these plans were drawn up. Webb is saying, and he might be right, that they are ineffective and helping the wrong people. If that is the case, the plans should be revamped or scrapped altogether.

Zumbrota, MN

#9 Jul 24, 2010
mr pooper wrote:
I am a retired Postmaster. I have hired several people off the CS rosters and I know there is no 15 point bonus.

I'll go further and say that the Postal Service is fairly well-run and will comment that one of my biggest frustrations as a Postal manager was that it was difficult to impossible to discipline employees and nearly did take an "act of Congress" to dismiss someone, no matter what their race. Please don't make stuff up and if you are going to rant at least have it fact based.
Stop Stop Stop

Powder Springs, GA

#10 Jul 24, 2010
Government discrimination against white males has been the law for 40 years. End affirmative action NOW! Make the playing field level for everyone and stop the discrimination against white males. Corporate America has been dodging affirmative action for decades by sending jobs overseas so they don't have to hire unqualified minorities. American jobs have gone overseas, American profits have gone overseas, American taxes have gone overseas because of affirmative action laws which handicap American businesses. 40 years and counting.
Glen Allen

King George, VA

#11 Jul 24, 2010
Flatblade wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you know that isn't how these plans were drawn up. Webb is saying, and he might be right, that they are ineffective and helping the wrong people. If that is the case, the plans should be revamped or scrapped altogether.
Somewhat ineffective yes! The City of Richmond recently reported that only 6% of procurment contract in the last reporting quater, were granted to minority (black) businesses. Only 6%, despite the many methods they engage to reach out to these businesses. Methods such as free lunch presentations, additional points when proposals are being reviewed. I know the post office guy above said it does not work that way with the USPS, but it does with the City.(Points are given when calculating the "responsive" and "responsible" category of a vendor/contractor/service provider bid.)

Bottom line is that all bids should be calculated only on the lowest, responsive, and responsible bidder, but skin color should not be a part of the equation. Not when tax dollars are being spent.

Zumbrota, MN

#12 Jul 25, 2010
Stop Stop Stop wrote:
Government discrimination against white males has been the law for 40 years. End affirmative action NOW! Make the playing field level for everyone and stop the discrimination against white males. Corporate America has been dodging affirmative action for decades by sending jobs overseas so they don't have to hire unqualified minorities. American jobs have gone overseas, American profits have gone overseas, American taxes have gone overseas because of affirmative action laws which handicap American businesses. 40 years and counting.
Wasn't (isn't) the purpose of Affirmative Action to "make the playing field level"? I (a middle aged white male BTW) am all for having the playing field level. The trick is to find the proper formula. As Republican chairman Steele has said, there are still great inequities between white America and black America (I am paraphrasing). How does one address these inequities? Isn't Affirmative Action working if only 6% of city contracts in Richmond are going to AA contractors? That would mean than whatever perceived advantage they were given wasn't enough to overcome a "majority bidder" with a lower bid for a contract.

Finally, I think jobs have gone overseas for many reasons and Affirmative Action is among the least important of the reasons.
Obummer

Clermont, FL

#13 Jul 25, 2010
Flatblade wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I think the creation of Affirmative Action was meant to help? Yes...But like most everything the government enacts it turns out to do the opposite...Do I think Affirmative Action should be scrapped? Yes...It all begins with education and responsibility, perhaps educate the so-called disenfranchised people and let them bid on contracts, get jobs or promotions on their own merits...If they choose not to educate themselves or motivate themselves to become better workers and business owners then they fail just as any other person or business...Its called responsibility, I and many other people business owners don't have the option of going to our government and letting them get me a job, promotion or contract because of the color of my skin or gender...Why should someone else be able to do so, if its proven I or someone else worked hard to get a job, promotion or contract? It not, its unfair and it creates animosity between races and genders...
Glen Allen

Midlothian, VA

#14 Jul 25, 2010
Flatblade wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't (isn't) the purpose of Affirmative Action to "make the playing field level"? I (a middle aged white male BTW) am all for having the playing field level. The trick is to find the proper formula. As Republican chairman Steele has said, there are still great inequities between white America and black America (I am paraphrasing). How does one address these inequities? Isn't Affirmative Action working if only 6% of city contracts in Richmond are going to AA contractors? That would mean than whatever perceived advantage they were given wasn't enough to overcome a "majority bidder" with a lower bid for a contract.
Finally, I think jobs have gone overseas for many reasons and Affirmative Action is among the least important of the reasons.
Flatblade, looking back at my last comment, I do not think I was very clear. The reason that the city only awarded a total of 6% of it's contracts to minority (black) contractors, is because the minority (black) contractors are not bidding the projects. The city goes out of it's way to get the minority (black) contractors to bid projects,but if they do not bid, they can not be awarded the contracts. The way the city has worded the situation (Only 6% of contracts awarded to minorities), is very misleading. If someone were to look at the bid (instead of a spreadsheet) they would see the numbers are more like: 80 - 100% of the contracts wherein minority(blacks) contractors submitted a bid, were awarded to the minority (black) contractors. Maybe the Richmond Times Disgrace will do a story showing the truth behind the 6%, but I doubt it.
Note, the Bid Form indicte those contractors that are classified as Minority Contractors, as defined by the City of Richmond, and the Public Procurement Act.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jim Webb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Only 19 Months Until Election Day, And Over 19 ... (Apr '15) Mar '16 Three Days 79
News Jim Webb: 'I would not vote for' Clinton Mar '16 Harry 21
News Today in History Feb '16 Billy Ringo 2
News Obama smears Iran deal critics and liberals las... (Aug '15) Jan '16 Ritual Habitual 3
News Distinguished pols of 2015 Jan '16 Black Annie 4
News Chafee quits 2016 presidential race (Oct '15) Oct '15 Le Jimbo 5
News Jim Webb Abandons Bid For Democratic Party... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Cat74 8
More from around the web