Mark Kelly on gun control bill: 'We do have a problem' with many senators

Apr 16, 2013 Full story: www.csmonitor.com 16

The husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, an advocate of stricter gun laws, warned a fellow Arizonan of repercussions at the ballot box if he votes against a gun control measure to expand background checks. A lot of senators, said Mark Kelly, want a reason 'to get to no.'

Mark Kelly, husband of former US Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, says the gun control organization the couple has founded will work to defeat Sen. Jeff Flake (R) in the next election if the Arizona senator votes against expanding background checks to include more gun buyers.

Full Story

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#1 Apr 16, 2013
Do you think Mark has a gun(s) in the house or 24 hour armed guards? Why is his family SO much more important than yours? He and his are always protected, your family can wait the 45 minutes for the cops to show up. But then, that’s not his problem, he's important.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#2 Apr 16, 2013
I think that's a little unfair.

I can't imagine what I would feel if my wife were gunned down like that. It must have been a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of crying, a lot of worrying.

I don't share his stance on gun control, but at least I can understand it. It's those people who live in gated communities who never seen hard times or felt insecurity that mouth off about gun laws that pizzes me off. They tell other people how they should feel in their less than secure environment.

I think it's a human reaction when you nearly lost a loved one (or have a disabled loved one) and want to do something about it, even if it's not the right thing. I can't imagine what the families of those in Boston feel like. I'm sure they are so outraged that they just want to kill somebody--but who?
Dan Salazar

AOL

#4 Apr 16, 2013
Kelly will work to defeat any Repub next election. His wife was a very moderate Congresswoman but Pelosi took her over to the Far Left after the Tucson shooting.

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Apr 16, 2013
People don't cause Global Warming.
ManBearPig causes Global Warming.
and Azzholes like Al gore and Barack Benghazi cause Global Stupidity,.

“Obama Shames the USA”

Location hidden

#6 Apr 16, 2013
ManBearPig says "I just love watching Tiger Cheat. I just hates it when he gets caught"

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#7 Apr 16, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
I think that's a little unfair.
I can't imagine what I would feel if my wife were gunned down like that. It must have been a lot of sleepless nights, a lot of crying, a lot of worrying.
I don't share his stance on gun control, but at least I can understand it. It's those people who live in gated communities who never seen hard times or felt insecurity that mouth off about gun laws that pizzes me off. They tell other people how they should feel in their less than secure environment.
I think it's a human reaction when you nearly lost a loved one (or have a disabled loved one) and want to do something about it, even if it's not the right thing. I can't imagine what the families of those in Boston feel like. I'm sure they are so outraged that they just want to kill somebody--but who?
You are probably right as far as a reaction by Mark. My point was, does his very real and yet very personal and isolated issue outweigh the rights of all to do what they can to protect their families? In days past the answer would be an emphatic no. Everyone feels for the victims of our violent society, but limiting our freedom does not bring back the victims. It becomes even more of an issue when those demanding the reduction of rights to protect our families, have someone protecting them and their families 24/7 and leave the rest of us to fend for ourselves. Would they feel the same if they had no protection other than what they could do themselves. Would anyone say Mark wouldn’t have the right to protect his family? Do you rely soley on the authorities to protect your family?

“Proud To Be An American”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#8 Apr 16, 2013
Mark Kelly came after you and me and every law abiding American's rights all while he gave jared loughner a pass. A pass called life in prison instead of the death penalty...where’s his outrage?
I'll tell you where his outrage is, it's misdirected and a man like Mark Kelly should know better, he should know he's not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.
Mark Kelly buying an AR15 from a "Police Supply" claiming it was to show how easy it was. Well I don't think some crack addict with a pipe in his pocket would get the same treatment at a "Police Supply."
The owner cancelled the sale because Kelly purchased for reasons other than his own personal use...That's a prudent dealer who did not give Kelly any special treatment.
We all feel deeply for his wife, very nice looking woman and she's very lucky to have survived. But don't point fingers at those who had zip nada nothing to do anything whatsoever. You have to stand for the innocent Mark Kelly...And that includes everyone who is innocent.

“Obama Shames the USA”

Location hidden

#9 Apr 17, 2013
Judge John Roll has been forgotten by America on purpose. Nobody wants to talk about him because then they have to talk about what Obama was doing illegally.
People don't kill people. Politicians do.
Dan Salazar

AOL

#10 Apr 17, 2013
We all must surrender to the Pelosi "Progressives" demand to disarm American families. Obama knows that his last three years will be so divisive that His actons and his Agenda may foment a Civil War. We must agree give up the Guns if we are to be too weak and powerless to stand up for our families.
Papillon

Sacramento, CA

#11 Apr 17, 2013
GUN CONTROL…..GUN CONTROL …..GUN CONTROL…..

90% of all gun violence in America is caused by three groups:
- MUSLIMS
- ILLEGAL MEXICANS
- THE GHETTO CROWD

Unfortunately for law-abiding citizens, democRATS consider these groups to
be politically correct and democRATS will not go after them.

Even more unfortunate for American citizens, there is a black muslim in The White House.

FYI......
Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the country.
Yet there are more shooting deaths in this city than anywhere else.
In fact, Chicaco has more gun-related violence in six months than in ANY single country
in Europe in ONE YEAR.

You can thank every liberal politician for the chaos in America.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#12 Apr 17, 2013
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
You are probably right as far as a reaction by Mark. My point was, does his very real and yet very personal and isolated issue outweigh the rights of all to do what they can to protect their families? In days past the answer would be an emphatic no. Everyone feels for the victims of our violent society, but limiting our freedom does not bring back the victims. It becomes even more of an issue when those demanding the reduction of rights to protect our families, have someone protecting them and their families 24/7 and leave the rest of us to fend for ourselves. Would they feel the same if they had no protection other than what they could do themselves. Would anyone say Mark wouldn’t have the right to protect his family? Do you rely soley on the authorities to protect your family?
I think it goes back down to freedom of speech. I respect everybody's right to that freedom whether I agree with it or not. But I lost an immediate family member years ago because of a gun, and I remember how I and my family felt at the time. You just want to blame someone---anybody to relieve your pain. It takes many years to recover--especially when it's a sudden death with no warning. Going back to what I was thinking at the time, I would say you feel guilty that you didn't do anything beforehand that could have prevented that tragedy. You know deep down inside there was nothing you could have done, but it makes you feel a little better somehow.
Judy Olson

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Apr 17, 2013
I find it disgusting that Mark Kelly threaten Mr. Flake. He lost all credibility with me for his cause if that's the way he reacts to someone who disagrees with him. He sounds like a 5 years old.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#14 Apr 17, 2013
Background check plan defeated in Senate, Obama rips gun bill opponents
Published April 17, 2013
FoxNews.com

The Senate on Wednesday defeated a vital background check amendment seen as the linchpin to Democrats' gun control bill, dealing a major setback to President Obama -- who lashed out at opponents in unusually blunt terms during remarks from the Rose Garden.

"All in all, this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," Obama said, accusing the gun lobby of lying about the bill.

The vote was 54-46, with supporters falling six votes short of the required 60-vote threshold.

The failure of the background check proposal authored by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Pat Toomey, R-Pa., now imperils the entire legislation. The proposal would have expanded background checks to gun shows and Internet sales while exempting personal transactions. The amendment was aimed at winning over reluctant conservatives, who were opposed to the more stringent background check plan in the existing bill.

It's unclear where supporters will go from here. They could try to vote again, or craft an alternative piece of legislation.

Obama vowed to press on, saying the vote was "just round one," while decrying those he claimed "caved" to political pressure.

"The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill," Obama said. He said the claims "upset" some gun owners who in turn "intimidated" senators.
"There were no coherent arguments as to why we couldn't do this. It came down to politics," he said.

In a statement, Manchin said that while he is disappointed in the outcome of today's vote, that "this is not the end of the debate."

Opponents, which included a few Democrats, voiced concern that the proposal would infringe on Second Amendment rights by imposing a burden on those buying and selling guns. They claimed the proposed system would not have prevented Newtown, and would not stop criminals. They also voiced concern about the possibility that the expanded system could lead to a gun registry, though the amendment language prohibits this.

The NRA said in a statement that the amendment "would have criminalized certain private transfers of firearms between honest citizens, requiring lifelong friends, neighbors and some family members to get federal government permission to exercise a fundamental right or face prosecution."
But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and other Democrats hammered Republicans for not voting in support and vowed to press forward.

"I want everyone to understand this is just the beginning, not the end," said Reid. "Today, the brand of the Republican Party has become more out of step, more extreme. And that's saying something."

Four Republicans voted for the amendment, but five Democrats voted against it. One of those Democrats was Reid -- who only switched his vote to oppose it because doing so allows Democrats to call up the measure again. Other Democrats who voted against the measure for non-procedural reasons were Sen. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska, Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Sen. Max Baucus of Montana.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/17/ba...
jaxxax

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Apr 18, 2013
youtube.com/watch... …… Lucky it gets?
Guns get lucky people are not lucky
Anonymous

Payson, AZ

#16 Apr 18, 2013
Up Kelly's arse. We have a problem with nitwits like
that opportunistic clod.
Responsibility

San Mateo, CA

#17 Apr 18, 2013
Dan Salazar wrote:
We all must surrender to the Pelosi "Progressives" demand to disarm American families.
You know, dear, that is not true ... try again with something factual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Jeff Flake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Feds mum on prosecution of illegal border crossers Sep 20 RustyS 1
Political postcards from the edge: Two US senat... Sep 13 Le Jimbo 2
U.S. senators to star in 'Survivor'-like realit... Sep 12 Cricket 23 1
A year later: Immigrants fear reform will never... Sep 11 Taxpayer for years 200
McCain, Flake introduce bill to block suburban ... Aug '14 Silly times 2
Food, water, smiles greet migrants shipped to A... Jul '14 Chuck 49
John McCain: Fly Illegals Home ASAP Jul '14 Kim Chi Un 3

Senator Jeff Flake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE