White House: 'Absolutely firm,' but willing to talk, on birth control

Feb 8, 2012 Full story: The Wichita Eagle 618

Republicans seized on a call from Catholic bishops, who in recent weeks have asked their parishioners to object to a federal law requiring religious-based institutions, such as Catholic hospitals and universities, to provide contraceptives as part of their health care coverage.

Full Story
First Prev
of 31
Next Last

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#622 Feb 22, 2012
CatholicPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution has provided stability for the United States. It has built in restrictions against the tyranny of the majority by
preventing easy change.
Unfortunately, from 1943 to 1992 the Supreme Court of the United States was controlled by extremists who had no respect for the Constitution. The Senate Judiciary did nothing about it. The old method of Senators obtaining their seats thru appointment rather than by election was probably more reliable in preventing the politicization of the Senate and thus the Supreme Court.
In other words, the founding fathers had it right, it is the subsequent amendment to the Constitution that messed things up.
I agree with that. The 17th amendment was a big blow to the state's ability to keep the feds in check. They did have it right.

Since: Sep 08

Placitas, NM

#623 Feb 22, 2012
Wake Up wrote:
Government is already to intrusive in the lives of Americans........ <quoted text>
And if the Reich-wing theocrats have their way, there will be a hell of a lot more intrusive. You can't get much more intrusive that ordering women raped with a foreign object.

New slogan I saw today:
"Women brought every politician into the world.
In 2012 Women can also take them out!"

Since: Sep 08

Placitas, NM

#624 Feb 22, 2012
Reich-wing male chauvinist controlled US House show they are SCARED of women!

GOP: WOMEN’S TESTIMONY AT CONTRACPETION HEARING WON’T BE TELEVISED

"The Republican-controlled Committee on House Administration has denied a request to broadcast the testimony of Georgetown University Law student Sandra Fluke on the health reform law’s mandated coverage of contraceptives at a Democratic Steering and Policy Committee event.

The event was organized by House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) in a bid to allow Fluke a second opportunity to speak on the issue after the young woman was barred from the all-male panel by Committee Chairman Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) at last week’s House Oversight and Govenrment Reform Committee hearing. According to Pelosi’s office, THIS WILL BE THE FIRST EVENT IN WHICH THE HOUSE RECORDING STUDIO HAS NOT COVERED AN EVENT. http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/02/22/43...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#626 Feb 22, 2012
Teaman, here is where i see the dilemma. The rights blinding belief the free enterprise will always be making the right choices for the country to prosper. Well the choices they have made is to gain efficiency by swallowing up competitors and centralise its operations. There are obvious gains in this, bulk purchasing of supplies, less administration and full control over your operations.
This is the natural order of things with free enterprise but it has its down side, that being none of these Big Business can fail without a huge impact on the country's economy. This applies to Banks, Grocery chains, Dept Stores, Utility companies etc etc.
But on the other hand you would argue for your Government to go in the opposite direction. Keeping the State , County & Feds separate. Each raking in taxes and charges to keep afloat. This comes at a huge cost to an economy when if you really believed in your own ideology you would let the same happen with Government to become more effective. Of course there will be a down side, but it has to be weighed against the gains.
Obama 2012

Belle Glade, FL

#627 Feb 22, 2012
Obama has made things right.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#628 Feb 22, 2012
The other point about business in the free enterprise, free trade environment is these days once you open your front door you are competing with the world no matter where you live. So while you say fundamentals never change, I don't agree with that.
For instance what chance would anyone have opening up a retail store these days competing with a major player. Not only that competing with a online retail outlet based in Hong Kong. Next to impossible it would only be in a niche market selling products no one else has. So all you are left with is services and sure that is a growth industry but it also has its limitations. It even comes down to an overseas service provider answering a local company phone. So the only area where there is competition is in innovation. Coming up with new products or new ways of doing things. Because in all those other areas you can't compete unless import taxes were levied which of course would break the free trade agreeement. So Globalisation has changed a whole bunch of fundamentals which has been good for some US based business but bad for a population as a whole. A reason why that filter down effect is not happening from the high tax paying % of your population. The only way I see of competing against that is streamling every aspect of your economy and you must include government in that.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#629 Feb 23, 2012
Willing to listen,
then
Willing to lie.
that about covers everything,'I' think we are done here.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#630 Feb 23, 2012
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. It was brought up several post ago and I commented. I don't really care of you like it. I don't remember asking if you did. You may want to set on a pole and spin.
OK, just mindless off-topic whining from you, then. Thanks.
skeptic

Bethlehem, PA

#631 Feb 23, 2012
CatholicPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution has provided stability for the United States. It has built in restrictions against the tyranny of the majority by
preventing easy change.
Unfortunately, from 1943 to 1992 the Supreme Court of the United States was controlled by extremists who had no respect for the Constitution. The Senate Judiciary did nothing about it. The old method of Senators obtaining their seats thru appointment rather than by election was probably more reliable in preventing the politicization of the Senate and thus the Supreme Court.
In other words, the founding fathers had it right, it is the subsequent amendment to the Constitution that messed things up.
Its Catholics own fault they voted for a Pro-Choice Pro abortion President, and Catholics are going to vote for the same Pro-choice President Obama again.
Seems like Catholics go for free sex the same as non-catholics,
It appears catholics don't want be looked down upon as Jesus freaks.
And Protestants are no different then Catholics with their gutter Pro-Choice mindset.
The stupidity of both Catholics and Protestants is that they vote for a Pro-Choice President.
Can Catholics and Protestants make a difference in this world?
Yes!, but they won't for they are too ashamed to pratice their faith in publuc view.
grinder

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#632 Feb 23, 2012
It's time for Obama to get out of the way.
CatholicPatriot

Tampa, FL

#633 Feb 24, 2012
skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>Its Catholics own fault they voted for a Pro-Choice Pro abortion President, and Catholics are going to vote for the same Pro-choice President Obama again.
Seems like Catholics go for free sex the same as non-catholics,
It appears catholics don't want be looked down upon as Jesus freaks.
And Protestants are no different then Catholics with their gutter Pro-Choice mindset.
The stupidity of both Catholics and Protestants is that they vote for a Pro-Choice President.
Can Catholics and Protestants make a difference in this world?
Yes!, but they won't for they are too ashamed to pratice their faith in publuc view.
Obama ran on hope and change and was such a liberal media favorite, he went unvetted mostly. I doubt he will get the Catholic swing vote this time around. His administration has been too Catholic hostile.

The oddest thing about Obama, is that he picks so many of the wrong whites to be in his administration. Anyone else notice that?
H Gribble

United States

#634 Feb 24, 2012
CatholicPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama ran on hope and change and was such a liberal media favorite, he went unvetted mostly. I doubt he will get the Catholic swing vote this time around. His administration has been too Catholic hostile.
The oddest thing about Obama, is that he picks so many of the wrong whites to be in his administration. Anyone else notice that?
Yes I've noticed the wrong whites in his administration. It reminds me of the way catholics pick so many child molesters to be priests.

Since: Aug 10

Buffalo, NY

#635 Feb 24, 2012
CatholicPatriot wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama ran on hope and change and was such a liberal media favorite, he went unvetted mostly. I doubt he will get the Catholic swing vote this time around. His administration has been too Catholic hostile.
The oddest thing about Obama, is that he picks so many of the wrong whites to be in his administration. Anyone else notice that?
Yeah, those of us who arent racist inbred conservatives would ave said that he picks the wrong PEOPLE, not whites.

Which white did you want to see? You wouldnt like any dem so whats your point.

Your attitude certainly isnt taught by the church!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#636 Mar 3, 2012
CatholicPatriot wrote:
<I doubt he will get the Catholic swing vote this time around.
Actually, he got overwhelming Catholic support in 2008, and will get it again in 2012, and Santorum can't even get majority Catholic support among the GOP members.

YOu can bet one of your aliases on it.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#637 Mar 25, 2012
He wants to make a deal, He has no idea what he is negotiating with.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#640 Apr 1, 2012
Lora wrote:
he even cast love spell that brought my ex back for just $210,
Huh?

Who in the hell would pay to get an ex back?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#645 Apr 2, 2012
FFS- wrote:
<quoted text>ANd all these random people who had spells just happened to come to a random thread on topix?
You need to be smarter than that if you really want customers
I am hoping to find a spell that will make my Nigerian long lost uncle's inheritance land in the bank...

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#646 Apr 2, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>I am hoping to find a spell that will make my Nigerian long lost uncle's inheritance land in the bank...
good luck!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 31
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Jeanne Shaheen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Albright defends Sen. Shaheen Dec 11 swedenforever 8
Why Hillary Clinton is waiting Dec 4 reality is a crutch 1
Republicans Have Little Incentive To Move Forwa... Nov 26 Ebola 55
Editors: Resist Executive Overreach on Immigration Nov '14 Earl 106
After the election is over, the signs remain Nov '14 KMK 1
Jeanne Shaheen scores Democratic victory in New... Nov '14 Le Jimbo 11
GOP Takes Control of Senate; McConnell Wins Nov '14 Zeppelin 1
More from around the web