English, the official Language of the...

English, the official Language of the United States

There are 6307 comments on the Village Soup story from Jun 15, 2009, titled English, the official Language of the United States. In it, Village Soup reports that:

In perfect, if Southern-inflected, Japanese, Eric Crafton urged his colleagues on the Nashville, Tenn., City Council to let voters decide whether English should be the city's official language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Village Soup.

First Prev
of 316
Next Last

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#7198 Jun 20, 2010
Will they ever make English the official language?
BigJake0330

Frederick, MD

#7199 Jun 20, 2010
One flag, one language, one country--- America.
YJ Draiman for Council

Oxnard, CA

#7201 Jan 16, 2011
English as the official language

As far as I know the official language of the United States is ENGLISH.(defacto)
I am astounded at how far our government and various Utility companies and others have distorted and resorted to abolish/modify English as our language.
When I contact various companies and utilities, I am given a choice to punch a button for English or Spanish.
English should not be a choice, it should be mandatory.
In some stores you cannot even find literature in English, only in Spanish.
Any company/Organization who does not default to English automatically should be boy cut from doing business with.
Any one who wants to live in this country legally and benefit (any benefit whatsoever) from our system, must speak, read and write English or be deported.
When you travel around the world, no country has subrogated their language to any other foreign language, why should we.
We should demand from our government Federal, State, and County and any local governments and agencies throughout the United States to implement that strategy or be thrown out of office
YJay Draiman, Northridge, CA
"The Committee to maintain English as our official language"
Press 2 for English

Walnut, CA

#7202 Jan 16, 2011
The century old dilemma of what language should we force immigrants to speak?

It seems the more the gringo tries to tell the Spanish speaker what language they have to speak , the more Spanish grows!

Amazing!!!
Press 2 for English

Walnut, CA

#7203 Jan 16, 2011
BigJake0330 wrote:
One flag, one language, one country--- America.
One flag-old glory

One language-Spanish

One Country!
Press 2 for English

Walnut, CA

#7204 Jan 16, 2011
YJ Draiman for Council wrote:
As far as I know the official language of the United States is ENGLISH.(defacto)
I am astounded at how far our government and various Utility companies and others have distorted and resorted to abolish/modify English as our language.
When I contact various companies and utilities, I am given a choice to punch a button for English or Spanish.
Any company/Organization who does not default to English automatically should be boy cut from doing business with.
Any one who wants to live in this country legally and benefit (any benefit whatsoever) from our system, must speak, read and write English or be deported.
When you travel around the world, no country has subrogated their language to any other foreign language, why should we.
We should demand from our government Federal, State, and County and any local governments and agencies throughout the United States to implement that strategy or be thrown out of office
YJay Draiman, Northridge, CA
"The Committee to maintain English as our official language"
The only thing mandatory is for your azz to press 2 for English!

Since: Dec 09

Dalton, GA

#7205 Jan 16, 2011
English wasn't spoken here before we took it from the natives.

The first people here from the East were not English speaking.

Columbus was also neither English nor Spanish, and his voyages were funded by Italian and Spanish.

Slaves were brought from Africa.

Settlers and immigrants have come from all over and still do.

We were once under British rule, but we fought for our independence from them.

We are America, not England.

We are mainly an English speaking country, but there is no one official national race, religion, or language. There is nothing in our history which suggests there should be.

There's no need for everyone to conform completely to new arrivals, but also no reason all new arrivals should have to conform completely to the ways of one old arrival.

The fair thing would be learning at least elementary English be a requirement for citizenship, but also for foreign language to be taught at elementary level for all American students. Then they can choose advanced foreign languages as electives when they get older. It's much easier for everyone to learn fundamentals at an early age, and there's nothing threatening or indoctrinating about simple education.
I'm astounded at the extents to which people will become pathetic whiny bitches who distort the truth and blow things dramatically out of proportion. These comments are childish at best. Even if you are foreign and learn English, it's still be much easier for you to do business and resolve issues over the phone in your native language. But there's nothing at all wrong with people of like cultures forming communities in which they are the majority. And there's no distorting, abolishing, or modifying involved in allowing people who's native language is not English to be able to more easily use automated phone systems.
I have never been in a store where there was no English literature. However I do know that there are Hispanic communities around here, and stores with Spanish signs. And you know what? They exist because of the population of the community in which they exist, and I'm pretty certain that people like you already "boy cut" such businesses without even directly intending to.

When you travel the world to non-English areas, chances are good you're going to countries where the vast majority is not English speaking. Yet I've seen plenty of instances where such countries have signs and advertisements in English, and if you find primarily English speaking communities in such places, I'm sure you'd find primarily English businesses. That's just a misinformed comparison, but irrelevant either way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 316
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Inhofe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: McConnell calls ailing John McCain ... Jul 17 Red Crosse 5
News The Latest: GOP lawmakers mark success with rul... May '17 CodeTalker 8
News Looking for answers: Oklahomans hope town hall ... Mar '17 lastditch 1
News In Toronto, Leonardo DiCaprio delivers 'Before ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 inbred Genius 7
News Fracking Didn't Cause Oklahoma Earthquake (Sep '16) Sep '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News US Sen. Inhofe OK after weather forces him to l... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Hostis Publicus 1
News GOP chairman intensifies fight with White House... (Dec '15) Dec '15 goonsquat 10
More from around the web