Global climate change is a reality

Jul 10, 2011 Read more: Aiken Standard 188

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's 2010 State of the Climate report released last week, "The year 2010 was among the two warmest years globally since the .

Read more
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#1 Jul 10, 2011
Global warming, aka climate change, is an emotional issue involving politics, commercial interests, environmental positions and personal egos to such a point that no clear consensus will be reached and no uncontested resolution will be forthcoming in the near future.
That's odd, I thought a 'consensus' had already been reached.
Well at least the headline is right, "Global climate change is a reality," that's something everyone knows.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orangeville, Canada

#2 Jul 10, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>That's odd,
Nothing odd here. It is the best understanding of a JOURNALIST not the science.
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought a 'consensus' had already been reached.
Absolutely. On AGW at least.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/06/04/...

98% consensus is beyond question at this point. Nor is there any current CHALLENGES to that consensus.

Of course, the journalist confuses AGW(theory) with climate change(not theory) so this is an indication to 'check sources' rather than taking his word for everything.
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well at least the headline is right, "Global climate change is a reality," that's something everyone knows.
By that, I suspect he means "AGW driven climate change" and to some degree that is right. In terms that global average surface temperature IS a part of 'climate change' and not a 'natural' change.

The increase in AGW is just one factor in forcing change on the climate system, beyond what the 'natural oscillations' can provide. And science shows that the changes driven by AGW are likely to be much much larger than any that have been experienced in 'human history'.

You keep getting posts educating you on the issue and keep going back to dumb ignorance. Any treatment for that senility yet?
Fun Facts

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jul 10, 2011
"Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that (i) 9798% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field support the tenets of ACC..."

From your PNAS reference. This was not a survey of scientist. This was taking the names of people who support the IPCC and citing the number of times their work was cited. It did include a third of the designated population from scientist who disputed the IPCC findings.

What is compared was how many times a study had been cited. The two thirds that had been signers on a positive IPCC endorsement had their papers cited more often that the one third that had signed some sort of rebuttal of the IPCC statements.

You could say that there was consensus in the group of scientist who had signed a positive endorsement of the IPCC. You could also say there was consensus in the group who opposed the IPCC statements.

But to use the findings of this report to represent the consensus of the scientific community is a misrepresentation of the study.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#4 Jul 10, 2011
Fudging the numbers of 'scientists in agreement' may look good on the surface, but at the end of the day, it won't help the alarmist cause.
Police State

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jul 10, 2011
Change the name from "global warming" to "climate change" and it's still the same SCAM!

PS- Read up on HAARP.

Don't be a sheeple!
LessHypeMoreFact

Orangeville, Canada

#6 Jul 11, 2011
Fun Facts wrote:
"Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that (i) 9798% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field support the tenets of ACC..."
A very solid majority of climate research scientists.
Fun Facts wrote:
From your PNAS reference. This was not a survey of scientist. This was taking the names of people who support the IPCC and citing the number of times their work was cited.
No. It was a survey of active publications by climate researchers in the peer reviewed literature. There was no reference to the IPCC. In fact, the IPCC gets IT'S facts from the same studies in the same journals.

What it shows is that there is acceptance of the theory by about 98% of the serious climate researchers. And it also shows that as you go farther and farther from the competence in the climate sciences, the number of 'denialists' increases. More significant is the fact that the 2%-3% that indicate that they do NOT fully support AGW theory have not published any well supported contradictory findings. Ergo, there is not even a basis for skeptics in the real science media.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#7 Jul 12, 2011
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
In fact, the IPCC gets IT'S facts from the same studies in the same journals.
If you're going to make a fool of yourself, do it in CAPS, eh, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty?
Gets IT'S facts or gets ITS facts?
-
Now let's see where the IPCC gets some of, "IT'S" facts from.
Greenpeace, as a source for quite a few, "facts" in its report.
-
More dodgy IPCC claims?
http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/02/01/more-dodg...
IPCC Sources: Almost Half Non-Peer-Reviewed
http://sppiblog.org/news/ipcc-sources-almost-...
You alarmists can keep on dodging the hail of bullets, but one of them is bound to get you sooner or later.
Fun Facts

Corrales, NM

#8 Jul 12, 2011
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
A very solid majority of climate research scientists.
<quoted text>
No. It was a survey of active publications by climate researchers in the peer reviewed literature. There was no reference to the IPCC. In fact, the IPCC gets IT'S facts from the same studies in the same journals.
What it shows is that there is acceptance of the theory by about 98% of the serious climate researchers. And it also shows that as you go farther and farther from the competence in the climate sciences, the number of 'denialists' increases. More significant is the fact that the 2%-3% that indicate that they do NOT fully support AGW theory have not published any well supported contradictory findings. Ergo, there is not even a basis for skeptics in the real science media.
Why don't you look this stuff up first before you post? You're wrong now go look it up and figure out why.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#9 Jul 12, 2011
Fun Facts wrote:
Why don't you look this stuff up first before you post?
Because leading climatologists, like Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty don't need or want to look anything up, they know it all by rote.
Fun Facts wrote:
You're wrong now go look it up and figure out why.
See my previous reply.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#10 Jul 12, 2011
Let's not forget that NOAA meteorologists have predicted (yet) another above average hurricane season based on the global warming hoax. Could this be the year their predictions (finally) come true?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#11 Jul 12, 2011
dragoon70056 wrote:
Let's not forget that NOAA meteorologists have predicted (yet) another above average hurricane season based on the global warming hoax. Could this be the year their predictions (finally) come true?
LOL, anyone could predict a strong hurricane season and they'd probably be bound to be right, eventually.
Fat Al told the world that Katrina was the precursor of worse hurricanes to come, that was in 2005, so he may yet be right, we'll have to wait and see.
I'm sure we'll all understand that, if/when it does ever happen, he'll be there to say, "I told you so."

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#12 Jul 12, 2011
2011 Atlantic Hurricane Season will be Active, Have more US Landfalls
http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/4...
2011 Atlantic Seasonal Hurricane Forecast
http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/forecast...
'Very Active' 2011 Atlantic Hurricane Season Predicted
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/apr2011/2011-...
Farmer's Almanac:
2011 Hurricane Season Forecast
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/05...

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#13 Jul 12, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>LOL, anyone could predict a strong hurricane season and they'd probably be bound to be right, eventually.
Fat Al told the world that Katrina was the precursor of worse hurricanes to come, that was in 2005, so he may yet be right, we'll have to wait and see.
I'm sure we'll all understand that, if/when it does ever happen, he'll be there to say, "I told you so."
They've been predicting more (and stronger) hurricanes every year since Katrina. If their predictions don't start coming true soon, they'll have to reverse course and claim that a LACK of hurricanes is proof of global warming :)

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#14 Jul 12, 2011
dragoon70056 wrote:
<quoted text>
They've been predicting more (and stronger) hurricanes every year since Katrina. If their predictions don't start coming true soon, they'll have to reverse course and claim that a LACK of hurricanes is proof of global warming :)
Oh, wait a minute, some already have.

http://oregoncatalyst.com/2705-Lack-of-Hurric...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#15 Jul 12, 2011
dragoon70056 wrote:
They've been predicting more (and stronger) hurricanes every year since Katrina. If their predictions don't start coming true soon, they'll have to reverse course and claim that a LACK of hurricanes is proof of global warming :)
LOL, I wouldn't bet on that not happening, would you?
Everything else that happens is 'allegedly' caused by Glowbull warming, so why not a lack of strong hurricanes making landfall?

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#16 Jul 12, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>LOL, I wouldn't bet on that not happening, would you?
Everything else that happens is 'allegedly' caused by Glowbull warming, so why not a lack of strong hurricanes making landfall?
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Big Al hasn't blamed his inability to get any more massages on GW :)

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#17 Jul 12, 2011
dragoon70056 wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Big Al hasn't blamed his inability to get any more massages on GW :)
He's single, rich and fancy free now, so I can't see that holding him back from having a bit of slap and tickle when the fancy takes him.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#19 Jul 12, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>He's single, rich and fancy free now, so I can't see that holding him back from having a bit of slap and tickle when the fancy takes him.
LOL.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#20 Jul 12, 2011
This isn't news to anyone but idiot Deniers, and they're incapable of changing their minds on the subject. Their position is partisan, political, and set in concrete.

Kinda pointless even to debate it...
harvey

Columbus, OH

#21 Jul 12, 2011
Earthling-1 wrote:
Fudging the numbers of 'scientists in agreement' may look good on the surface, but at the end of the day, it won't help the alarmist cause.
Agreed. Deniers are alarmists seeking to convince people that doing something about warming will "destroy our economy" or some such nonsense. They shouldn't pretend to have scientific support which they really lack.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Inhofe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News US tightens rules for disclosure of chemicals u... Mar 23 Emily Latella 3
News Just say no to a gas tax hike Jan '15 Leonard 1
News Gas tax, infrastructure funding puts some dayli... Jan '15 maroons 5
News Republicans capture Senate; Report warns of cli... Dec '14 yes 3
News Climate Denier Sen. James Inhofe In Line For Th... Nov '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 4
News Global Warming Deniers in Congressional Drver's... Nov '14 dragoon70056 2
News Climate Denying Senator Inhofe Will Soon Chair ... Nov '14 Jim the Hoax Denier 5
More from around the web