Since: Apr 09

Marion, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2009

UTICA —.Local advocates for the rights of fathers are asking New York Governor David Paterson to form a human rights commission to look at what they call unfair treatment of fathers in divorce proceedings in the state.
“I am calling upon you to assemble a non-partisan commission of New York residents to study and remedy ongoing violations of human rights in our domestic relations courts,” National League of Fathers Director John Kalil Jr. said in a letter to Paterson dated Monday.
He cited what he termed “the systematic removal of mainstream fathers from the lives of their children,” and said the way the laws are structured now create a financial incentive for governments to perpetuate the system.
Laws relating to custody and child support are often biased toward mothers, New Hartford resident Kalil said.
Utica-based lawyer, Leon Koziol who is the organization’s attorney, agreed.
“They are bankrupting fathers and forcing them out of their children’s lives,” he said.
Both Kalil and Koziol are divorced fathers.
Part of the problem is that the laws are outdated Koziol and Kalil said.
Today, women have found more equity in the work place and have better paying jobs than in the past, but the laws have remained the same, Kalil said.
“Antiquated custody laws that make it difficult for fit parents who want to participate in their children’s live on an equal basis,” Kalil said.
The group is holding a meeting at 7 p.m. on Monday, May 18 at the Hotel Utica

Geneva, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2009

I see that Leon has filed a class action complaint in which he names "John Parent" as the class representative in a suit against everyone in officialdom. Then that class representative is described as an attorney with lots of bar complaints against him, a hearing in June 2009 etc. The attorney who seeks to be named as representative of the class is hardly representative of the class
-- class members have none of such issues. Doesn't the complaint violate Rule 11 and warrant an award of attorneys fees?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••