Wow - a break for commuters

Jan 3, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New York Daily News

A little salve for wounded wallets, courtesy of Sen. Chuck Schumer : Buried deep in the fiscal cliff deal passed by Congress is a fix for transit commuters that will save many riders hundreds of dollars a year.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 70 of70
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bluntforce

Twinsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly, I'd like to see the auto industry catch up with the 21st century and we ban all all internal combustion engines.
The liberal leftist idea catching up to "21st" century transportation is one speed Chairman Mao bicycles and steam locomotives. You people are the anti-thesis of the future. Why not just protest your Preezy's Afghanistan war and leave the rest of us alone?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! The government tracks the names of people on your cell phone plan? Would you like them to? Do they know your girlfriends address? Would you like them to? I will give you extra credit for progressive thinking,
Are all teabaggers that naive?

The govt knows EVERYTHING about you, including what phone plans you have, whether you have cable, if you farted last night, etc, etc.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Bluntforce wrote:
<quoted text>The liberal leftist idea catching up to "21st" century transportation is one speed Chairman Mao bicycles and steam locomotives. You people are the anti-thesis of the future. Why not just protest your Preezy's Afghanistan war and leave the rest of us alone?
Because it's more fun screwing with you morons.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Are all teabaggers that naive?
The govt knows EVERYTHING about you, including what phone plans you have, whether you have cable, if you farted last night, etc, etc.
The Obama Collective? I just figured if good old boy Joe Biden was part of it, it had to be a joke.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever seen anyone without a cell phone or known anyone without cable/satellite tv?
Those who are truly poor can get a tax rebate on a sliding scale, but only if they can prove they don't have luxury services like cell phones or cable tv.
Yes. Haven't/don't you?

Great, so make the ones that can pay pay for others that can't... Hell, they have some money left over each month, lets make sure we get that too...

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Judged:

lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Haven't/don't you?
Great, so make the ones that can pay pay for others that can't... Hell, they have some money left over each month, lets make sure we get that too...
Nope. Every person I know has both a cell phone and cable/satellite tv. If they can afford that, then they aren't that poor.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Every person I know has both a cell phone and cable/satellite tv. If they can afford that, then they aren't that poor.
Wow... you're somewhat sheltered!?

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow... you're somewhat sheltered!?
Hardly. I live in one of the "poorer" counties in Michigan and yet I don't know a single person without a cell phone or cable/satellite tv. Even people who I know for a fact are on food stamps, yet they're constantly yapping away on their new Iphone.

Being "poor" is relative. In the U.S. being "poor" means only having 1 Iphone and only 2 flat screen tvs in your 2500 sq ft house to watch 500 cable channels while munching on pizzas & buffalo wings & washing it down with a 6 pack of beer & smoking a pack of $8 cigarettes while surfing the net on your new laptop computer with Windows 8. And when you run out of beer or cigs or pizza you drive your new 10mpg SUV to the market and get some more with your EBT card; and pick up $50 worth of lottery tickets to boot.

Are they really poor? Hardly. I've seen poor, and they're not it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. I live in one of the "poorer" counties in Michigan and yet I don't know a single person without a cell phone or cable/satellite tv. Even people who I know for a fact are on food stamps, yet they're constantly yapping away on their new Iphone.
Being "poor" is relative. In the U.S. being "poor" means only having 1 Iphone and only 2 flat screen tvs in your 2500 sq ft house to watch 500 cable channels while munching on pizzas & buffalo wings & washing it down with a 6 pack of beer & smoking a pack of $8 cigarettes while surfing the net on your new laptop computer with Windows 8. And when you run out of beer or cigs or pizza you drive your new 10mpg SUV to the market and get some more with your EBT card; and pick up $50 worth of lottery tickets to boot.
Are they really poor? Hardly. I've seen poor, and they're not it.
Just seems odd to me that you don't know anyone that either chooses not to have those things or simply can't afford them. There are people in my family that don't have one or both. Some by choice some not. My mom and stepdad have a pay as you go cell phone that they got just for when they're on the road (mainly because I asked them to) and money isn't a issue. That's just one example.

I've seen poor as well, I grew up in inner city Indy.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

lost-cause wrote:
<quoted text>
Just seems odd to me that you don't know anyone that either chooses not to have those things or simply can't afford them. There are people in my family that don't have one or both. Some by choice some not. My mom and stepdad have a pay as you go cell phone that they got just for when they're on the road (mainly because I asked them to) and money isn't a issue. That's just one example.
I've seen poor as well, I grew up in inner city Indy.
I actually find it odd as well, especially considering how many of those same people bitch about how "poor" they are. Of course they have no trouble finding the money for beer & cigs & flat screen tvs etc, etc. They also think nothing of driving their newer-than-mine car down to the store to get milk or eggs or bread instead of walking or riding a bike, yet they bitch about how high the price of gas is.

I was the last person I know to finally break down and get a cell phone; only because it was cheaper than having a landline anymore. Even my parents got one before I did, mostly for that same reason you cited- they go fishing a lot alone and it's nice to know they have a safety net. I spend about $100/yr (not per month, but per year) on a pre-pay phone. Of course it's not the lastest Iphone with all the bells & whistles; it just makes phone calls. I'm also the only person I know that still has the old tube tvs; they work great and I see no reason to throw them out just to get a flat screen.

Don't get me wrong, people should be able to spend their money on whatever they want. I just find it amusing when I see what they choose to spend their money on and yet bitch about how "poor" they are or how expensive everything is.

Call me cheap if you want; I prefer "sensible" or even "frugal".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 70 of70
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••