A bumpy ride

There are 16 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 20, 2008, titled A bumpy ride. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Around Maryland, dealers who sell domestic automobiles are wondering what the future holds as they watch the big three automakers lobby Washington for financial aid to stave off bankruptcy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

MrEd

Parkville, MD

#2 Nov 20, 2008
GM claims its not mismanaged! If it has 20% of the US market and is broke it is mismanaged.
Mike

United States

#3 Nov 20, 2008
"None of the domestic manufacturers are in this situation because they build too many gas-guzzling trucks or pickups," he said. "They're in this position now because the banking system and the housing market went upside down inside of six weeks, and it pushed them over the edge."

Really? Well, how come Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW, etc. are not asking for handouts? The Big 3's problems occured long before this credit crunch. The bottom is they make cars people do not want.
BlameThemselves

Alexandria, VA

#4 Nov 20, 2008
The automobile companies have only themselves to blame.
Newark, DE

#5 Nov 20, 2008
Aw, poor Williams Automotive. Maybe they shouldn't have built that huge, ugly lot on Route 40--the one with the bright lights that can be seen for miles, the one that causes traffic problems. Guess they thought the gravy train would never end. I won't be losing any sleep for 'em.
kenny

Madison, AL

#6 Nov 20, 2008
So we give the big 3 a a bailout. what then. People are not buying thier cars. what will happen in 6-9 months when the money runs out? only the strong survive. Let them fail.
XXX

United States

#7 Nov 20, 2008
I'm 58 and 3 years ago I bought my first new car, a Camry. It's got about 60,000 miles on it now and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. There are no squeeks or noises when I hit bumps and the fuel economy is great. It's value today is greater than what I owe on it (and that's with no down payment). It was my first foreign car and none of the above adjectives apply to my previous U.S. made cars and trucks. What I don't get is that we're always reading of foreigners copying what's best about American technology and I don't know why Detroit doesn't just buy some of these Toyotas and Hondas and copy the features that make them so solid and reliable. This can't be rocket science. You know, I can't remember his name, but there was an American guy who went to Detroit just after WW2 with some suggestions on how to improve the construction and quality of their cars and he was laughed out of town. He then went to Japan, they listened, and the rest is history. I really don't think Detroit WANTS to make a great car. I'm guessing they are thinking if they make a great car then their profits will go down, but I think it's just the opposite.
XXX

United States

#8 Nov 20, 2008
It took me a while but I found the name of that American. Check it out and you'll see why Detroit is losing the car wars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Demin...
Baltimore MD

United States

#9 Nov 20, 2008
Karma wrote:
Aw, poor Williams Automotive. Maybe they shouldn't have built that huge, ugly lot on Route 40--the one with the bright lights that can be seen for miles, the one that causes traffic problems. Guess they thought the gravy train would never end. I won't be losing any sleep for 'em.
Your an idiot. Williams started small and built up.
Cindi

Westminster, MD

#10 Nov 20, 2008
The big three needs to build quality vehicles, or lower their prices to reflect the crap they sell. I refuse to spend 25 - 30 grand for a fine example of vinyl and plastic, which needs "warranty work" to make it acceptable.
Joe

Baltimore, MD

#11 Nov 20, 2008
XXX wrote:
It took me a while but I found the name of that American. Check it out and you'll see why Detroit is losing the car wars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Demin...
W. Edwards Deming and his theory of Total Quality Improvement. He took it to Japan and that is why they became a manufacturing powerhouse as they recovered from WW2. Americans didn't want to hear what he had to say until after Japan started beating America in trade.

Americans don't realize that we are not the preeminent society anymore. We are not superior to the rest of the world. We have become absorbed by our greed and distorted perceptions of our place in the world. We rest on past glories instead of working to achieve new ones. The greedy labor unions don't help. They only serve now to drive up production costs with their demands.
steve

Dallas, TX

#12 Nov 20, 2008
XXX is right on. Their problems today grow from the lousy product and arrogance of management (remember trying to get them to fix something on warranty?) and the workers(remember the jokes about don't buy a car built on Monday). I guess UAW ain't laughing anymore. I had GM cars all my life, lucky to make it to 100k, certainly not without doorhandles falling off, several mufflers, etc. etc. Last 20 years, had 5 Hondas or Toyotas. Not a one ever failed to start and lasted 200+ in great shape. As for these dealers, wonder how many working Joes they screwed over on so-called "deals" over the years. Wahh Wahh, cry in your beer.
consertative

Mount Airy, MD

#13 Nov 20, 2008
it is hard to feel sorr for nay car dealer. you always feel like the screw you when buying a car. like spending all that money you are doing them a favor.
as for pohanka the putz, let him and his industry help themselves.
the steelworkers killed big steel and now the autoworkers under whinner gettelfinger are doing the same. let the uaw members eat cake.
i bet when gettlefinger was on the line he cried like a baby over every item.
Jesse

Woodbridge, VA

#14 Nov 20, 2008
Why are we suddenly worried about the automotive folks losing their jobs? They can join the folks from Wall Street, the banks (Citi is laying off 50,000+) the mortgage industry, the real estate industry, the furniture industry, the home building industry and the renovation industry. Nothing to see here...
jeffro

Holly Springs, NC

#15 Nov 20, 2008
Triple XXX is right on about the man that had an idea on how to run American industry to make a superior product. His ideas built Japan, they have a legal holiday dedicated to him but I don't know his name. The big 3 laughed at him..whos laughing now?
The big three have a failed business system, they do not have an alternative plan. If they get the money, the big boys will steal it and let the compaany fall later. Let them die and put them out of their misery. we are in the beginnings of a depression now, it can't be stopped and the car makers collapsing will only speed up the inevitable.
MrEd

Parkville, MD

#16 Nov 20, 2008
One thing that needs to be dealt with. The dealers should be limited to selling cars at a set price and nothing else. Carmax does very well by posting the price on every vehicle. If you go into the typical car dealer the salesman roboticlly starts to work you. These people are like some sort of inbreds. The manufacturers encourage this type of behavior. After you sort of come to an agreement on the price of the car you have to deal with the finance guy. Then they send you to some big breasted, attractive girl who will try to sell you some sort of useless wax job or fabric protection product. You can buy the same stuff for about $10.00 anywhere. They will install it for about $500.00. Then they might try to bump up the price of the car or sell you some sort of useless insurance program. If they think that you are weak or not too smart they try to sell you a higher interest rate on the financing. These people are pigs and that is an insult to pigs.
eric

Vonore, TN

#17 Nov 20, 2008
the thing is The big 3 were cutting back on quality to save a buck and look at what it did to them..Beleive me,they now know about quality and want to build the best quality car on the road and Ford is equal to Toyota in quality and Chevy is right behind. Question is,if they do survive,will they go back to thier own old cost cutting ways? I say no,but,if they did,they would certainly die,as there is no where to hide with al the publications that report ( unlike years back)and a quality slip will cost them big.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbara Mikulski Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Victims mourned in D.C. slaying were 'a beautif... Fri American_Infidel 1
News Baltimore rioting damage estimate at $9 million... May 15 Cordwainer Trout 2
News US Justice Department to Investigate Baltimore ... May 10 Really 1
News Attorney General Lynch meets Gray family in Bal... May 6 see the light 1
News Former prosecutor Ivey announces run to replace... Mar '15 Le Jimbo 1
News Congress reaches spending deal Mar '15 swedenforever 2
News Veteran Democratic Sen. Mikulski won't seek re-... Mar '15 Black Annie 13
More from around the web