Car buyers would get tax break under ...

Car buyers would get tax break under Mikulski plan

There are 27 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 12, 2008, titled Car buyers would get tax break under Mikulski plan. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski announces her "Auto Ownership Tax Assistance Amendment." The legislation is designed to save jobs and support the U.S. automobile industry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Owings Mills, MD

#21 Nov 13, 2008
Annie wrote:
Why cut the tax break off at $49,500? I make well under the income cap, but the vehicle I need (could really use) for my large family is over $55K. I would definitely be more likely to buy that than keep my old clunker.
Put $5500 down in cash and finance the rest. Then you will get the tax cut.

Of course one has to wonder why your large family car cost 55k and why someone making under 250k a year would spend 55k on an automobile, but who am I to judge?
Engineer

Carmel Valley, CA

#22 Nov 15, 2008
This doesn't help American auto industry, but it certainly will help Toyota & Honda. People pick Japanese car over American car for a reason. Just stop making junk car!!!
Bowie-MD Resident

Washington, DC

#23 Nov 18, 2008
Way to think on your feet Mikulski. Just when I get ready to call you a do nothing liberal, you throw a strike.

BTW, the $250k salary limit is there so that rich folks don't go out and buy a tax free fleet of cars.
Joe

Gwynn Oak, MD

#24 Nov 18, 2008
Americans need to build cars that don't have to go in for repairs so frequently. American cars are not as well made as Japanese, German, Swedish and Korean cars.(Who won WW2 anyway?). Those UAW reps with the senator needed to chime in and say what they would do to help the situation, not just rely on the public to decide to buy new cars. Also, why does a car need to cost as much as a small house? American cars are way overpriced too.
Annie

United States

#25 Nov 18, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Put $5500 down in cash and finance the rest. Then you will get the tax cut.
Of course one has to wonder why your large family car cost 55k and why someone making under 250k a year would spend 55k on an automobile, but who am I to judge?
Because it's a diesel which gets far better fuel mileage than any other similar sized SUV/minivan out there. A bit more up front to save a lot more over the long run.
barack insane obomba

Baltimore, MD

#26 Nov 19, 2008
Car buyers would get tax break under Mikulski plan...it's already been done, Car manufacturers and local governmenthave been giving rebates for buying hybrids for the last two years.
Jim

United States

#27 Feb 4, 2009
where does she come up with these erroneous numbers? Car loans are about 4.5 %, not 7 or 8.
She also assumes 27% tax braket, and a lot of people are only in 15% bkt. Be honest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbara Mikulski Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Senator Barb' Mikulski nears retirement after ... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Michu Pichu 1
News FBI raids home of ex-College Board official in ... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Donald JW Trump 8
News Maryland's untested rape kits, Baltimore's sex ... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Phyllis Schlafly ... 2
News The Latest: Congress Members Outraged By Gambia... (Jul '16) Jul '16 BHM5267 6
News Attorney General Lynch meets Gray family in Bal... (May '15) Jul '16 True Judgement 5
News Obama wants $1.9B to fight Zika: Where does it ... (Apr '16) Apr '16 charlie foxtrot 4
News Democrats look for political advantage on Equal... (Apr '16) Apr '16 FancyButtPirate 59
More from around the web