Asian-American voters show growing cl...

Asian-American voters show growing clout, leftward turn

There are 44 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 9, 2012, titled Asian-American voters show growing clout, leftward turn. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

A historic Latino turnout helped turn America's electoral tide toward the re-election of President Barack Obama, but Republicans also have another fast-growing group of voters to worry about in future elections: Asian-Americans. Exit polls are showing at least 70 percent of Asian-American voters chose Obama, a sign that the nation's fastest-growing ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
To Libertarian

Port Chester, NY

#44 Jan 19, 2013
"libertarian4321: Yup, they do. Which is great. Keeps costs down and gives them jobs they need to support their families."

This is why you're a part of the problem. Middle Class Americans can't compete with illegals and overseas labor for horrible wages.

Tell me, were you always rich? How much does engineering consulting pay?

This is why I don't believe in Libertarianism.
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Evolution-of...

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#45 Jan 22, 2013
Researcher wrote:
How about these numbers from a Texas report?
( http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/tif/... )
Per capita income
TX -$25,548
U.S. average -$27,915
Household income
TX$50,920
U.S. average -$52,762
Percent below poverty level
TX 17.0%
U.S. average -14.3%
These (or similar) statistics have already been posted.

Yes, income is below average, but the COST OF LIVING in Texas is also well below average. When you factor in cost of living, Texas is not lagging.

In addition, for people born and educated in the USA, the numbers are far better- those census number include immigrants, both legal and illegal.

As an American born and educated individual, I make less money here than I would in a state like NY or CA. However, I am BETTER OFF in Texas because of the low cost of living, including the low levels of taxation.

Again, there is a reason the population of Texas is surging- and it isn't just "Mexicans." People from all over the USA are coming to Texas for the economic opportunities here. You are more likely to live next to a transplant from NY or CA or MN than an "illegal" Mexican if you move down here.

Location hidden

#46 Jan 22, 2013
new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
TX will be overrun with Mexicans in 10 years and you old white men will be the minority. Change is coming any your ppl. will be left holding a bag of oil.
So what?

I live in San Antonio, a city that has been majority Hispanic for decades (probably forever).

Its no big deal. My neighbor is Hispanic. He's just as American as you are- maybe more so.

Location hidden

#47 Jan 22, 2013
To Libertarian wrote:
This is why you're a part of the problem. Middle Class Americans can't compete with illegals and overseas labor for horrible wages.
Tell me, were you always rich? How much does engineering consulting pay?
This is why I don't believe in Libertarianism.
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Evolution-of...
No, I was not always well off. I was raised working class or lower middle class.

Engineering and consulting pay pretty well, but it doesn't pay an extraordinary wage.

I did not become wealthy just by doing engineering work. The key to wealth for someone who doesn't make an extraordinary income is to LBYM (live below your means) and invest. I started investing/saving from the time I had my first job (12-years old) to the present day. I have invested in equities and real estate (the real estate investing came relatively late- I should have started that part much earlier). In most years, the money I make from investments/rent is far more than I make from my "real" work.

And you don't need to have high paying jobs to do this. My parents (a mechanic and a typist) managed to put away money as well, even though they had very low incomes.

I skimmed the link you provided. It makes it sound like libertarians want NO government, and that is not the case. We are not anarchists (other than a few on the fringe who are nearly so). We believe government does have a role in protecting the citizenry and providing a safe environment in which to conduct business. That is why libertarians support police, military, fire protection, the judiciary, etc.

However, we do NOT believe in a nanny state where the government will provide a way of life for those who choose not to work- where those who do the right thing and work hard are forced to fund the lifestyle of those who continually make the wrong choices and/or choose not to work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,234,171
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 19 min positronium 190,178
News Democrats work against Obama on trade Wed Bam 8
News Congress' familiar path: short-term solutions May 23 USA Today 3
News House Blocks Chance at Military Service for 'Dr... May 23 Who guessed it 11
News Obama's library to be built in Chicago, sources... May 18 Halle Berry Sister 113
News Obama library coming to Chicago where 'all the ... May 15 reality is a crutch 9
More from around the web