Can a Senator stop a union? Bob Corke...

Can a Senator stop a union? Bob Corker is certainly trying

There are 78 comments on the WHP-AM Harrisburg story from Feb 14, 2014, titled Can a Senator stop a union? Bob Corker is certainly trying. In it, WHP-AM Harrisburg reports that:

Sometime today, we're expected to find out whether the workers in that Chattanooga, Tenn., Volkswagen plant have decided to unionize.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHP-AM Harrisburg.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Marcavage s Trick

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Feb 14, 2014
Bob Cra kkker will do it for him, imo.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#2 Feb 14, 2014
Unions have proven to be a disaster for car makers, the steel industry, the textile industry, to name a few, and government at every level. Take a look at Detroit.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#3 Feb 14, 2014
I was never employed or long by Union Affiliations. Conspiracy to slander profile dismanteling livlihood of another persons Business and your just a lazy employee that CAN"T by law or won't by ignorence to how to get 1st business start up loan that gives your trade 3 years start up revenue to play with and a bank delegate to assist, owning a 4-plez apartment is a business too.... Harming another mans business or livlihood is ILLEGAL murder and no death crual and inhumane. Spend life in prison for UNION partisipation and IRS pulls all the paychecks you had earned all taxes you collected for refund puts a whopping 12% interest and that does not include time and damage you did as a employee either... WOW You never made a thing when you have to pay EVERYTHING AND MORE IN RETURN and retire in your cell block

I wonder if there is a bigger crime at play????

Does UNION have LIABILITY INSURENCE SCAMS so when you dont verbally sexually or physically assault creaate slander of business and repute stalking laws, merchandise theft and destruction...... Do they get paid in a Liability policy if you refuse to perform????

Someone needs to lock that shit up faster..
Billy Ringo

Ardsley, NY

#4 Feb 14, 2014
huh?
Marcavage s Trick

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Feb 14, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Unions have proven to be a disaster for car makers, the steel industry, the textile industry, to name a few, and government at every level. Take a look at Detroit.
Hey mongoloidal fundie, VW is fully unionized in Germany. Germany's doing okay...if you want something like a society as opposed to a right wing, xstain caliphate.
sandy1

Southold, NY

#6 Feb 14, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Unions have proven to be a disaster for car makers, the steel industry, the textile industry, to name a few, and government at every level. Take a look at Detroit.
Absolutely right. According to Townhall.com unions have damaged the auto industry,an example would be the massive pensions the car companies paid out raised their costs so much that they were limited to building more expensive cars to try to get their money back. The article also discusses how unions are ruining public education,the airline industry,etc.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#7 Feb 14, 2014
Marcavage s Trick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mongoloidal fundie, VW is fully unionized in Germany. Germany's doing okay...if you want something like a society as opposed to a right wing, xstain caliphate.
How is Detroit doing?
How about PA?
http://reason.com/archives/2013/09/06/taxpaye...
Blame a union.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8 Feb 14, 2014
Marcavage s Trick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey mongoloidal fundie, VW is fully unionized in Germany. Germany's doing okay...if you want something like a society as opposed to a right wing, xstain caliphate.
Apples to roanges.

Germany's unions are in partnership with their employers, not adversaries like we have here.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9 Feb 14, 2014
Oops.

oranges.....
Sir Andrew

London, UK

#10 Feb 14, 2014
This is on the gay site for what reason???

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Feb 14, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Unions have proven to be a disaster for car makers, the steel industry, the textile industry, to name a few, and government at every level. Take a look at Detroit.
The disaster that is Detroit is equally the result of the corrupt Democrats tat ran the city for decades.

You can say the same thing about New Orleans. New Orleans has, and has had for many decades, one of the highest homicide rates in the U.S. as well as one of the highest crime rates for a city. Crooked Democrats that destroyed those cities.

Detroit should be just completely razed, and New Orleans should be allowed to sink. Both are cesspools of corruption.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Feb 14, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
This is on the gay site for what reason???
To the roboblogger; the word 'union' triggers 'gay civil union'
.
not 'labor union'
.
so it posted the article
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#13 Feb 14, 2014
sandy1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely right. According to Townhall.com unions have damaged the auto industry,an example would be the massive pensions the car companies paid out raised their costs so much that they were limited to building more expensive cars to try to get their money back. The article also discusses how unions are ruining public education,the airline industry,etc.
A pension is part of a car company's lifetime employment contract with the employee; and is deducted from each of the employee's paychecks
.
Once that paycheck is signed and delivered; the pension money no longer belongs to the car company. It belongs to the employee's pension fund
.
Apparently the car companies were stealing the employee's pension funds and the Unions had to step in to manage control of the funds
.
Here is how employer greed has evolved into today's 'Task Rabbit Economy':
http://prospect.org/article/task-rabbit-econo...

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#14 Feb 14, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
A pension is part of a car company's lifetime employment contract with the employee; and is deducted from each of the employee's paychecks
.
Once that paycheck is signed and delivered; the pension money no longer belongs to the car company. It belongs to the employee's pension fund
.
Apparently the car companies were stealing the employee's pension funds and the Unions had to step in to manage control of the funds
.
Here is how employer greed has evolved into today's 'Task Rabbit Economy':
http://prospect.org/article/task-rabbit-econo...
I don't know how the UAW pension works, but the one I belong to, the employer was required to pay a set amount to the Pension Program for each worker employed, and who had worked the requisite number of hours per week. It was a separate amount, and not deducted from anyone's pay. However, the company never did send the full amount, and the Union and/or government ever forced them to do so. Thus the Pension was under-funded, and although I get my full benefit, those who retired 2 year after I did, and any after that, received less than was originally promised. The USPS has the opposite problem. Congress forced the USPS to fund the Pension for 75 years into the future. That is payment for future employees not even born yet. That scenario will bankrupt the USPS so that the friends of the politicians can start a new company and let the USPS and its' employees in the lurch. As usual, the employee is caught in the middle. I and my whole immediate family are proud union members.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#15 Feb 14, 2014
fr Wondering:

>Unions have proven to be a disaster for car makers, the steel industry, the textile industry, to name a few, and government at every level. Take a look at Detroit.<

You have just proven that you have NO concept whatsoever of labor history. UNIONS got YOU the 8 hour workday, clean and safe working conditions, paid vacation and sick leave, 401k programs, the minimum wage, and the abolition of child labor in factories and mines, to name only a few things.

Henry Ford would have LOVED you. He was rabidly anti-union and anti-Semitic. Read any real biography of him and get the truth.
sandy1

Southold, NY

#16 Feb 14, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
A pension is part of a car company's lifetime employment contract with the employee; and is deducted from each of the employee's paychecks
.
Once that paycheck is signed and delivered; the pension money no longer belongs to the car company. It belongs to the employee's pension fund
.
Apparently the car companies were stealing the employee's pension funds and the Unions had to step in to manage control of the funds
.
Here is how employer greed has evolved into today's 'Task Rabbit Economy':
http://prospect.org/article/task-rabbit-econo...
Go to the source and read the article. That was just a small example, the article provides a lot of interesting facts on how unions have been destructive to several industries.
Marcavage s Trick

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Feb 14, 2014
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Apples to roanges.
Germany's unions are in partnership with their employers, not adversaries like we have here.
That is explicitly the model that VW would like to have here (at least that's what it says.) Except such a model is illegal in the US unless the plant is unionized.

You don't know anything.

Meanwhile, you ignored:

1. Why unions and workers do so much better in EU countries.(Their corporations don't make quite the same obscenely high profits on the backs of everyone.)

2. And related, the relentless efforts to bust and slow and degrade unions in the US.

The pension problems largely result from the loss of assets during the W. Bush financial crisis.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#18 Feb 14, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Unions have proven to be a disaster for car makers, the steel industry, the textile industry, to name a few, and government at every level. Take a look at Detroit.
What you really mean is that the corporate executives have successfully scape-goated the workers who built the cars for the poor stewardship they displayed for their companies. Management has been feeding at the trough to the expense of shareholders for decades and pointing fingers at the lowly workers while voting themselves ever-larger bonuses for doing less.

Shareholders, alas, get what they deserve for not recognizing the ruse. But the employees, taxpayers, and working people generally are paying the price as the economy sputters due to hoarding of wealth by a few.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#19 Feb 14, 2014
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Apples to roanges.
Germany's unions are in partnership with their employers, not adversaries like we have here.
Exactly. The inability of auto company management to work with labor reflects on their skills as managers, not the unions.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#20 Feb 14, 2014
Pattysboi wrote:
fr Wondering:
>Unions have proven to be a disaster for car makers, the steel industry, the textile industry, to name a few, and government at every level. Take a look at Detroit.<
You have just proven that you have NO concept whatsoever of labor history. UNIONS got YOU the 8 hour workday, clean and safe working conditions, paid vacation and sick leave, 401k programs, the minimum wage, and the abolition of child labor in factories and mines, to name only a few things.
Henry Ford would have LOVED you. He was rabidly anti-union and anti-Semitic. Read any real biography of him and get the truth.
Unions were useful, they no longer are. Entire industries are gone in this country because of them. State, local and federal governments are all underwater because of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Correction: Oil Pipeline-Protest-Lynch story 1 min Mikey 9
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min USAsince1680 1,457,994
News Green Party drops bid for Pa. election recount 1 min TRUMP WINNERS 21
News Green Party drops bid for statewide election re... 6 min Le Jimbo 3
News The Trump victory, the threat to California's g... 11 min Mikey 5
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 32 min lides 22,361
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 39 min President Donald ... 2,895
More from around the web