Veterans get ALS disability

There are 29 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jul 25, 2008, titled Veterans get ALS disability. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Department of Veterans Affairs plans to provide full disability payments for Lou Gehrig 's disease, tacitly acknowledging for the first time a generalized link between the fatal neurological disorder and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JC MasHeis

Troy, NY

#25 Feb 20, 2010
My father-in-law was 77yrs old and diagnosed with ALS in the summer of 2002. He passed away in December 2003 of the disease. He was a World War II Vet, serving in Iwo Jima. We found out about the DIC Widow's benefit, applied for it last September and just this week was award the benefit. The VA even made her payment retroactive to when ALS was certified as a service-related disease for all Military, which was October 1, 2008. Our VA representatives were awesome and we are so appreciative of their efforts. Keep trying, never give up.
nelda Mills

United States

#26 Jun 18, 2010
My husband was diagnosed with ALS and in the Houston MDA clinic for three years before they said it wasn't progressing as fast as ALS so it must be PLS. He can still walk but it's pretty ugly. He works full time and more and has never asked for a thing. We went to the VA last week to see about benefits since this is progressing steadily. They said PLS, even though it is a variant of ALS, is not on the list. I'm angry. We have one child born before Vietnam and one born after. Their worlds and ability are totally different.
ngh

Lynn, MA

#27 Jun 22, 2010
Trudy wrote:
My husband just died of ALS this November.....it only took 3 months for this awful disease to take over his body......I have filed a claim for widows pension with the VA.....we shall see if I get it or not......
Take care everyone.......it is a long battle...
My husband died of als 1999. I applied for benefits in 2008 (sept) I received a retroactive payment May 2010 and a monthly payment of 1100 dollars. It took 18 months,
ngh
Dave Q NH

Deerfield, NH

#28 Aug 31, 2010
The company I work for modifies vehicles for people with disabilities. I am shocked at the number of veterans who don't know what they are entitled to. Even when they find out they're entitled to benefits sometimes it takes too long to get approved. As a veteran myself, it saddens me to see how long some of these veterans have to wait, not just veterans with ALS but with any debilitating disease. I know there are a lot of veterans coming back now and the VA is inundated with claims, however they shouldn't forget the men and woman who sacrificed for this country in the past.
upsetdaughtermai ne

Gloversville, NY

#29 Jan 27, 2011
My dad has had slient asperation for the past 6-8 months. he has chronic infections in lungs from this. He has muscle weakness all over. The doctors are balking on giving a daignose passing him from one center to the next with no reason for why this happening. How hard is it to get a daignoses on this. Everything his test show and all we have read on this point to als. What routes are there available to get help on getting a diagnoses on this. I know this is a death sentence but some treatments may prolong his life or quality of it. Right now I feel like they are sending him to die.
microlabred

Philadelphia, PA

#30 Jul 9, 2011
B Cook Clark wrote:
Our father died at age 54 after 35 years of serving his country. Too young to die, and no clear diagnosis. Our Army-wife-mom then died of ALS a few years later. It would be interesting to know if there are any stats on veteran spouses who contracted ALS.
A close relative of mine was recently diagnosed with ALS and the hospital told him of this connection.We never knew. He is in a position to help get the word out to others. I am very sorry for your loss and believe that God works in mysterious ways. Maybe he will help others. God bless.
Vets Son

Canonsburg, PA

#31 Apr 14, 2012
TrueVet wrote:
And how are we going to get tax payer's money to the thousands of Americans STRICKEN with ALS who were not in the military??
What does that comment mean? Are you insinuating that tax payer's shouldn't be responsible?
Mary

Anaheim, CA

#32 Nov 29, 2012
My husband was just diagnosed with ALS this past October 2012. He served in the Navy during the Vietnam era. He is showing signs of slowing down. He is taking small steps some days and other days he can't transition from the weel chair. We applied for benefits, but to date, we have not heard back from the Veterans Affairs.
P Norton

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#33 Jul 2, 2013
My husband was diagnosed with ALS in 1991 and died of the disease in 1993. He served in Viet Nam in 1969-70. My children are struggling to pay back student debt and desperately need help. I feel the VA owes them education benefits at least. I hardly know where to begin. Can anyone give me some advice on where I should start the process of receiving benefits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Perry seeks to win over Iowa, a handshake at a ... 13 min Le Jimbo 4
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Grey Ghost 1,232,951
News Meet the Candidate: Carly Fiorina 15 min Le Jimbo 576
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min 2 Watt Light bulb 189,893
News Kentucky Governor's Race 2015: Matt Bevin Lies ... 1 hr Johnathan D Masters 1
News Russia providing arms to Ukrainian separatists:... 3 hr Cassandra_ 1,292
News Bernie Sanders Appeals to Democrats' Elizabeth ... 4 hr Novus Ordo Seclorum 21
More from around the web