States with the most government benefits

States with the most government benefits

There are 144 comments on the USA Today story from Jan 26, 2014, titled States with the most government benefits. In it, USA Today reports that:

Politicians Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan recently introduced a plan to fight poverty by transferring more responsibility to the states.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Your Ex

United States

#1 Jan 26, 2014
Thank goodness for these @zzholes. Maybe they can free up enough $$$ to get the F-35 airborne.
conservative crapola

“Hicksville Hootenanny”

Since: Sep 13

Kornfield Kounty

#2 Jan 26, 2014
Those red states sure like uncle shuga. LMAO.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#3 Jan 26, 2014
On the back of Obama's two (cough) written books...........it states he is a foreign student........well it did until 2008 when it was removed for obvious reasons.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 26, 2014
Isn't everyone in Ca. on Welfare? You think Texas would be, but this state has the largest surplus of any.
Eric Gustafuson

Virginia Beach, VA

#5 Jan 26, 2014
see the light wrote:
Isn't everyone in Ca. on Welfare? You think Texas would be, but this state has the largest surplus of any.
Texas has the largest population of residents living below the Poverty level. Neither California or Texas has a large population receiving Temporary Aid to Families in Need, in the United States of the 308 Million citizens, less than 4 Million qualify and receive cash benefits.

Texas would rather see citizens starve and live in a cardboard box in the dessert than provide assistance and medical care for the less privileged in their state.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#6 Jan 26, 2014
Eric Gustafuson wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas has the largest population of residents living below the Poverty level. Neither California or Texas has a large population receiving Temporary Aid to Families in Need, in the United States of the 308 Million citizens, less than 4 Million qualify and receive cash benefits.
Texas would rather see citizens starve and live in a cardboard box in the dessert than provide assistance and medical care for the less privileged in their state.
LIAR, LIAR READ why don't you

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#7 Jan 26, 2014
Rethuglican run states consume the most in taxpayer financed welfare, whether corporate, or personal. Walmart alone has more employed people on federal assistance, as part of their push to pay less, and force us to pay more for their low wage jobs.

Sad state of affairs that Republicans are pushing a race to the bottom in wages and benefits for all working Americans...
see the light

El Paso, TX

#8 Jan 26, 2014
Caribou Barbie wrote:
Rethuglican run states consume the most in taxpayer financed welfare, whether corporate, or personal. Walmart alone has more employed people on federal assistance, as part of their push to pay less, and force us to pay more for their low wage jobs.
Sad state of affairs that Republicans are pushing a race to the bottom in wages and benefits for all working Americans...
Well at least they are working, you blue states invite illegals to come over and collect Welfare and food stamps. This is all your fault. Yes the tax payers have to pick up the slack,but you people did this .

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#9 Jan 26, 2014
see the light wrote:
<quoted text> Well at least they are working, you blue states invite illegals to come over and collect Welfare and food stamps. This is all your fault. Yes the tax payers have to pick up the slack,but you people did this .
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

What a dick! Let's look at states with the highest amount of illegals;

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...

Azzhole - aside from California, TexASS has the highest concentration of illegals you moron.

Try again you idiot. Try providing proof.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Jan 26, 2014
It seems to me that our tea partier patriots™ would be making every effort to move to one of the delightful states that spends the least amount of tax payers' dollars to help people in need — those states that are onboard with their own starve-a-child, starve-humanism agenda. That way, they would have to share the least of their stuff with those whom they consider lazy, selfish and undeserving.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 26, 2014
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
What a dick! Let's look at states with the highest amount of illegals;
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...
Azzhole - aside from California, TexASS has the highest concentration of illegals you moron.
Try again you idiot. Try providing proof.
Yes we have mostly illegals because we are closer to Mexico than New York you dumbazz.Your idol invites them over from Mexico for bribes, in exchange for votes. You can't win otherwise.
Les Claypool

Rowlett, TX

#12 Jan 26, 2014
Not sure what this article has to do with Texas. It's about Democrat states collecting tax money and giving it to unions and medicaid.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Jan 26, 2014
Les Claypool wrote:
Not sure what this article has to do with Texas. It's about Democrat states collecting tax money and giving it to unions and medicaid.
I can't remember where, but I recently read that Texas is a "net winner" among states receiving federal funds for social programs, meaning that its residents receive more federal dollar benefits than they pay for. I'm sure someone will "kindly" correct me, if this information is not accurate in case I may have misunderstood.
Cat74

Bolingbrook, IL

#14 Jan 26, 2014
Didn't read the article did ya? Of the 10 states reaching deepest into your pocket, 9 are Democrat States, and one, N J, is Republican. How do you think the Democrats stay in office? By buying votes with freebies.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#15 Jan 26, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
Didn't read the article did ya? Of the 10 states reaching deepest into your pocket, 9 are Democrat States, and one, N J, is Republican. How do you think the Democrats stay in office? By buying votes with freebies.
NJ is a Democrat state. Although the Governor is a Republican, the Assembly and Senate are both run by Democrats as is the state Supreme Court. Also, all polls show that the state is strongly Democrat and has Ben for quite some time.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#16 Jan 26, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
Didn't read the article did ya? Of the 10 states reaching deepest into your pocket, 9 are Democrat States, and one, N J, is Republican. How do you think the Democrats stay in office? By buying votes with freebies.
The article, Ms. Wanna Be Teacher, specifically states only 5 states with the highest concentrations, only NJ in the top 5 moron.

If you teach stupidity, you're great at what you do.

Article also clearly states Reagans 1986 Immigration bill swelled the illegal population dummy / again, another republican moron, much like you and your ilk here.

Come play when you have a clue what you're speaking about.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#17 Jan 26, 2014
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>Yes we have mostly illegals because we are closer to Mexico than New York you dumbazz.Your idol invites them over from Mexico for bribes, in exchange for votes. You can't win otherwise.
Did Obama sign an immigration bill dumbass?

Noi.

Ronnie Reagan did in 1986 you moron.

Is Arizona that close? Is Nevada?

A product of that good ole boy dumbass TexASS education system.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#18 Jan 26, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember where, but I recently read that Texas is a "net winner" among states receiving federal funds for social programs, meaning that its residents receive more federal dollar benefits than they pay for. I'm sure someone will "kindly" correct me, if this information is not accurate in case I may have misunderstood.
You're 100% correct. New Mexico is by far the biggest beneficiary of federal tax dollars, receiving $2.03 for every $1.00 it contributes.

Rick Perry balanced Texas's books by taking a substantial amount of money from the Obama stimulus bill - the very bill he was trouncing and stated he was vehemently against;

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney)-- Texas Gov. Rick Perry likes to tell Washington to stop meddling in state affairs. He vocally opposed the Obama administration's 2009 stimulus program to spur the economy and assist cash-strapped states.

Perry also likes to trumpet that his state balanced its budget in 2009, while keeping billions in its rainy day fund.

But he couldn't have done that without a lot of help from ... guess where? Washington.

Turns out Texas was the state that depended the most on those very stimulus funds to plug nearly 97% of its shortfall for fiscal 2010, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Even budget deficits are bigger in Texas

Texas, which crafts a budget every two years, was facing a $6.6 billion shortfall for its 2010-2011 fiscal years. It plugged nearly all of that deficit with $6.4 billion in Recovery Act money, allowing it to leave its $9.1 billion rainy day fund untouched."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/23/news/economy/...

"Rick Perry "balanced" Texas' budget with gimmicks

State Budget Solutions | by Olivia Leonard | November 17, 2011

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has based his presidential bid upon a platform of fiscal responsibility that includes his "clear goal of balancing the budget by 2020," supporting this platform by pointing to Texas's reputation of fiscal health and claiming credit for six balanced budgets during his stint as governor. Unfortunately, as with many "balanced budget" claims, this one is questionable. Texas's budget, while appearing balanced on the surface, is a product of federal stimulus funds and budget gimmicks that included risky gambles with future funds, delayed payments, and underfunded programs; essentially, a convenient kicking of the budgetary can down the road until after the 2012 elections.

The National Conference of State Legislatures reported that Perry's Texas collected more stimulus funds in fiscal year 2010 than did any other state. Texas relied on the $6 billion it received from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to close almost 97% of its budget shortfall at the end of fiscal year 2010."

Read more: http://www.statebudgetsolutions.org/publicati...

You Texan's are so full of chit - you wouldn't have survived without Obama's help, then criticize him?

Morons!!!!
Edgar

Spring, TX

#19 Jan 26, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
Didn't read the article did ya? Of the 10 states reaching deepest into your pocket, 9 are Democrat States, and one, N J, is Republican. How do you think the Democrats stay in office? By buying votes with freebies.
Normally I wouldn't exploit the hilarious (yet unbelievably depressing) stupidity of statements from people on politics forums who post half-baked commentary on issues without looking at the full context. However, somebody voted your comment as positive and for that reason I have to simply tell you this:

What you said is not only untrue, it is literally the opposite of what the article says. Oops.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#20 Jan 26, 2014
Eric Gustafuson wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas has the largest population of residents living below the Poverty level. Neither California or Texas has a large population receiving Temporary Aid to Families in Need, in the United States of the 308 Million citizens, less than 4 Million qualify and receive cash benefits.
Texas would rather see citizens starve and live in a cardboard box in the dessert than provide assistance and medical care for the less privileged in their state.
What is poverty level. Is it a garbage collector in NYC making $100,000 and barley getting by, or is it a person in Dallas Making $60,000 and living comfortably. Loons are taxed to death and then want ours.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Trump your President 2,590
News NY Times Ties Montana Republican Tight to Trump... 5 min Red Crosse 13
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Realtime 1,535,886
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 45 min Who ARE You 25,629
News Trump claims witch hunt, says he's most hounded... 1 hr Sandra 406
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr NotSoDivineMsM 240,943
News Flynn invokes 5th Amendment, refuses to comply ... 4 hr southern at heart 28
More from around the web