Obama announces more sanctions against Russia

Mar 20, 2014 Full story: USA Today 53

President Obama is set to deliver a statement on the ongoing crisis in Ukraine at 11 a.m. on Thursday Obama will speak just hours after Russia's lower parliament on Thursday ratified a treaty to Obama signs an executive order that will allow U.S. to impose sanctions on key sectors of the Russian economy.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Mar 20, 2014
and next he's gonna send them to bed without borscht
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Mar 20, 2014
The EU is dependent on Russia for oil and can find other sources for oil, which would neutralize Putin's relevance as a player on the world stage. I would be inconvenient for them, but devastating for Putin.

The US is not dependent on Russia for oil, but should place significant economic sanctions on Russia to protest Putin's aggression.

Ukraine needs to sort out and resolve its internal strife without foreign powers like Russia and the US intruding militarily on its sovereign soil.
Military Man

New York, NY

#3 Mar 20, 2014
kuda wrote:
The EU is dependent on Russia for oil and can find other sources for oil, which would neutralize Putin's relevance as a player on the world stage. I would be inconvenient for them, but devastating for Putin.
The US is not dependent on Russia for oil, but should place significant economic sanctions on Russia to protest Putin's aggression.
Ukraine needs to sort out and resolve its internal strife without foreign powers like Russia and the US intruding militarily on its sovereign soil.
Obama is insane. If Russia cuts their oil and gas pipelines, fuel prices would skyrocket and the European economy would collapse! The American taxpayers would be forced to bail them out.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#4 Mar 20, 2014
Øbama: Vlad, can't you understand that I'm stomping my feet, flailing my arms wildly and saying "boo"? You'd better knock it off, or I'll do it some more.

Kerry: Vlad, it's nuttin' personal, but you're being mean.

Vlad: Silly Øbama, you are so very funny. You are veak. You are in vay over your head. You vill do nothing! I svat you away like annoying fly. Tomorrow, Estonia, then Latvia, Lithuana, Belarus and Moldova vill be neext in my qvest to resurrect of Soviet empire. See you at G-8, then I start knocking on the door of Poland.

Øbama: <stomp, flail arms> You better stop it, or... or... or... you're really gonna make me mad.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Mar 20, 2014
Military Man wrote:
<quoted text> Obama is insane. If Russia cuts their oil and gas pipelines, fuel prices would skyrocket and the European economy would collapse! The American taxpayers would be forced to bail them out.
I'm stating my own opinion, so you must believe that it's I who's "insane," or however you may choose to characterize those with whom you disagree. At any rate, it's at least good that you shared you opinion.

The basic law of economics, supply and demand, dictates that EU fuel prices would rise without Russian oil, nut not necessarily that the European economy would collapse. They would pay more for oil from different suppliers, plus be acutely motivated to find alternatives to oil dependency, while the Russian economy would suffocate in the absence of Euros continuing to flow in to support it. It would be a double-edged sword and I believe Russia would suffer the brunt of the damage.

I challenge you to prove me wrong.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#6 Mar 20, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm stating my own opinion, so you must believe that it's I who's "insane," or however you may choose to characterize those with whom you disagree. At any rate, it's at least good that you shared you opinion.
The basic law of economics, supply and demand, dictates that EU fuel prices would rise without Russian oil, nut not necessarily that the European economy would collapse. They would pay more for oil from different suppliers, plus be acutely motivated to find alternatives to oil dependency, while the Russian economy would suffocate in the absence of Euros continuing to flow in to support it. It would be a double-edged sword and I believe Russia would suffer the brunt of the damage.
Not to mention a vast majority of the EU has been gravitating towards Green Energy for some time now, with W. Germany expected to be 80% Green by 2020.

"The European Commission is looking at cost-efficient ways to make the European economy more climate-friendly and less energy-consuming. By 2050, the European Union could cut most of its greenhouse gas emissions. Clean technologies are the future for Europe's economy.
For the short term, the EU has put in place legislation to reduce its emissions to 20% below 1990 levels by 2020, and data show it is well on track to reach this target. Europe is also offering to step up this cut to 30% if other major economies agree to do their fair share of a global reduction effort."

http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/roadmap/in...

"European car manufacturers are on track when it comes to meeting the carbon dioxide emissions targets set by the EU for 2015 and 2020. They are also well ahead of their Asian competitors, according to a new report.

The report "How clean are Europe's cars?", to be published today (5 December) by Transport & Environment (T&E), has monitored the annual progress made by vehicle manufacturers to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of new cars.

The environmental group's CO2 ranking shows that Fiat is in first place, followed by Toyota, Peugeot-Citroën, Renault and Suzuki."

http://www.euractiv.com/climate-environment/e...

And the US once again lags behind. Sad.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#7 Mar 20, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
China needs oil at least as much as Europe.
PROUD TO BE SERB

Australia

#8 Mar 20, 2014
Mr Putin today is looking to more sanction.
From next months "" ommama and America is looking for more and more and more powerfull
__________ TWISTERS__________
God punishment come in mysterious ""WAY ""
Viva la ""TWISTERS" "
Viva RUSSIA I SRBJIA
PROUD TO BE SERB

Australia

#9 Mar 20, 2014
PROUD TO BE SERB wrote:
Mr Putin today is looking to more sanction.
From next months "" ommama and America is looking for more and more and more powerfull
__________ TWISTERS__________
God punishment come in mysterious ""WAY ""
Viva la ""TWISTERS" "
Viva RUSSIA I SRBJIA
Sorry I forget to mention floods ;)
After heavy snow come heavy floods and so on .
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Mar 20, 2014
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention a vast majority of the EU has been gravitating towards Green Energy for some time now, with W. Germany expected to be 80% Green by 2020.
"The European Commission is looking at cost-efficient ways to make the European economy more climate-friendly and less energy-consuming. By 2050, the European Union could cut most of its greenhouse gas emissions. Clean technologies are the future for Europe's economy.
For the short term, the EU has put in place legislation to reduce its emissions to 20% below 1990 levels by 2020, and data show it is well on track to reach this target. Europe is also offering to step up this cut to 30% if other major economies agree to do their fair share of a global reduction effort."
"European car manufacturers are on track when it comes to meeting the carbon dioxide emissions targets set by the EU for 2015 and 2020. They are also well ahead of their Asian competitors, according to a new report.
The report "How clean are Europe's cars?", to be published today (5 December) by Transport & Environment (T&E), has monitored the annual progress made by vehicle manufacturers to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of new cars.
The environmental group's CO2 ranking shows that Fiat is in first place, followed by Toyota, Peugeot-Citroën, Renault and Suzuki."
Sadly, yes — we need at least to keep up — lead through innovation, not plan to keep drilling until there's no oil left — encourage Tesla, not try to block it.

Solar, wind and water are plentiful and free.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Mar 20, 2014
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad? "Green" energy is already driving up energy costs in Europe. Russian cuts would make it worse.

EU Must Contain Energy Costs or Risk ‘Deindustrialization’: EU

Europe must get a grip on energy prices to protect growth and stop its industry from fleeing abroad, according to two top policy makers.

The region needs to reduce the cost gap with the U.S., where a shale-gas revolution has slashed prices, European Union Energy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger told a conference in Berlin via a video link from Brussels.

German companies and consumers are shouldering costs of as much as 24 billion euros ($32 billion) a year for clean-energy aid, the country’s Economy and Energy Minister Sigmar Gabriel told the same event. Europe’s biggest economy has reached “the limit” with renewables subsidies and must contain power prices or risk “deindustrialization,” he said.

Germany has been one of the most ardent advocates of ambitious carbon-reduction policies that have helped drive up Europe’s power prices at more than three times the rate of inflation. Chancellor Angela Merkel has made reforming renewable-energy subsidies to reduce the cost of the country’s switch from nuclear power the top priority of her third-term government, which took office last month.

Elsewhere in the region, Spain, Italy, Portugal and the Czech Republic have slashed aid for solar power. U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron is looking for ways to reduce utility costs after the opposition Labour party promised to freeze bills if it wins the general election in 2015.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-21/eu-m...

“Dow hit 18,000 first time ever”

Since: Jun 07

Obama economics at work.

#12 Mar 20, 2014
Contrary to the unpatriotic rhetoric from the right, President Obama has dealt with the Russia situation brilliantly. There are so many pitfalls to this, and thank God we no longer have an ignorant wannabe-cowboy (George W. Bush) to just go running in there guns-a-blazing.
It is so pathetic how desperate the right is now after supporting president Bush after he did nothing when Putin did something very similar.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Mar 20, 2014
If you disagree with increased sanctions because you believe it's either a bad or insufficient policy, what course would you recommend for the US and why?
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Mar 20, 2014
Yes, Obama plays the hand of the Marxist Democrats very well, as fits into their playbook of raising utility costs (in this case natural gas.) The neo-conservative and Marxist combine in America knew using the neo-Nazi thugs to gain control of Ukraine would benefit the Marxist NWO plan one way, or the other. Democrats previously allowed and advantaged the selling of USA utility companies to foreign sources, the most notable being redundantly supportive of the Germany/USA/EU Axis... Atmos. German companies own US utilities and fake sales back and forth to raise the costs of natural gas to the now enslaved US consumer... profiteering each time with boot payments for each sale. Now, they will be shipping US natural gas supplies to the European market, attempting to equal the Russian discounts by putting their hands in US taxpayer pockets once again. The surplus of US natural gas would go to benefiting the US consumer with lower prices IF the Marxists hadn't planned for forty years to turn US supplies into New World Order supplies.

Utilities developed and supply lines enabled by your fathers and grandfather's tax monies have now been "privatized" by the Marxists, allowing them to raise utility costs just as Obama said he would. A new Revolution is necessary. Return all public utilities to the public trust, where they began and where the anti-American slugs can't arrange boot sales to foreign interests.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#15 Mar 20, 2014
After hearing the sanctions Obama put on Russia, the world knows he'd the dumbest Pres the U.S. ever had. Even Jimmy Carter was better.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#16 Mar 20, 2014
kuda wrote:
If you disagree with increased sanctions because you believe it's either a bad or insufficient policy, what course would you recommend for the US and why?
Silly child.
Obama created this mess, got everyone excited about it, and now wants everyone else to pay for it. There is no need for sanctions because there is no affront! The USA HAS NO SKIN IN THIS GAME.

“Dow hit 18,000 first time ever”

Since: Jun 07

Obama economics at work.

#17 Mar 20, 2014
see the light wrote:
After hearing the sanctions Obama put on Russia, the world knows he'd the dumbest Pres the U.S. ever had. Even Jimmy Carter was better.
Jimmy Carter, Jimmy Carter... LOL... that ship sailed after Obama won in 2012. But leave it to the backwards GOP to "CLING" onto something that died long ago... you have nothing; Obama wins again, LOL!
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#20 Mar 21, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmy Carter, Jimmy Carter... LOL... that ship sailed after Obama won in 2012. But leave it to the backwards GOP to "CLING" onto something that died long ago... you have nothing; Obama wins again, LOL!
Leaders embrace the challenge of steering toward a brighter, better future while those afraid of change simply cower in the back seat, criticize the driving and longingly watch their command of the past fade from view through the rear window. Shallow brooks, it seems, are noisy.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#21 Mar 21, 2014
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>Not to mention a vast majority of the EU has been gravitating towards Green Energy for some time now, with W. Germany expected to be 80% Green by 2020.

Yeah, Obama went green with his money laundering scheme, all America got was red ink.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#22 Mar 21, 2014
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmy Carter dumbest Pres. in history until Barak Obama, Jimmy Carter couldn't get the Iran Hostages released until Pres. Reagan the 1st.day. Because he was feared. No one fears Obama, they just laugh and make JOKES FOR LATE NIGHT TV. If that shp sailed, why is it you people have to blame Bush for everything. That ship sailed yrs. ago, hypocrite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Grey Ghost 1,191,131
Veteran Democratic Sen. Mikulski won't seek re-... 13 min Le Duped 2
Donald Trump Still Not Convinced Obama's Birth ... 21 min nick 7
Rubio makes more 2016 moves 1 hr spud 6
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr wojar 184,952
Lawyer for Sandy victims says settlement needs ... 4 hr Bill 1
MacArthur demands FEMA chief step down 5 hr Bill 1
More from around the web