What the 2012 election taught us

Nov 6, 2012 Full story: The Washington Post 10,324

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Full Story

Since: Oct 08

Decatur, GA

#3397 Nov 26, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>That's my "funny" for you.
Sonny Bono had access to his favorite twins - Cher and Cher-alike.
I figured so...you are the only lib that has a sense of humor, I bring you new hammer time as an example.

besides, young people have never heard of tony orlando, much less dawn.

And I could never figure out who was singing, sonny or cher, I think her voice was deeper than sonny's....and Chaz, don't even go there.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#3398 Nov 26, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony Orlando used to do his best work at the crack of Dawn.
Indeed

“life under BO”

Since: Sep 12

buena vista

#3400 Nov 26, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I dispute your source?
Without going back I remember you said something off topic and really stupid. Sound about right?

“life under BO”

buena vista

#3401 Nov 26, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dying or living off the government is the choice. Thank good ness we have the programs that allow "life." Certainly all those that are "Pro-Life" support these programs.
The problem is not the jobless. It is the fact that there are not enough jobs and of the jobs that do exist there are too few that allow a person to be self-sufficient.
It is pretty stupid and ignorant to say that a person working picking fruit or vegetables or on a poultry or pig or boeef or egg farm or in a meat packing house are lazy, don't want to work and prefer food stamps as opposed to better pay.
If some of these lazy, uneducated freeloaders would take some of the jobs they have prepared themselves for, we wouldn't have 30 million illegal aliens here. Unfortunately some in the lower classes believe they shouldn't have to take low paying jobs, welfare is better.

“life under BO”

buena vista

#3402 Nov 26, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Sage Won, if you have never been proven wrong you have never learned anything to include grade school.
Your statement is incorrect.
You can argue, but I would ask for copies of every test you took in school.
Ask and you shall not receive. The topic is on here, not whether I passed naptime in kindergarten.

Now, show me where I was wrong on HERE

“life under BO”

buena vista

#3404 Nov 26, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone has the same opportunities??? In what world do you live???
Only the rich have opportunities, everyone else is screwed. Why do you think the rich got 100% of the growth of our nation over the past 30 years? Equal opportunity?? You must be insane to believe the lies from the rich.
There is almost no opportunity except for the very rich, with the exception that you might win the lottery. How many can win? 1 out of 200 million? that is the opportunity for the workers, while the rich get guaranteed returns on everything.
a filthy lie from a bolshevik bozo. Did Bill Gates start out with billions? Did Buffet?
idiot.

Get off your fat azz and get a job.

“life under BO”

buena vista

#3405 Nov 26, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
are you saying reparations is good, or bad? I'm not following you....I didn't know there was a goofball category, just birthers and truthers and teabaggers.
actually, I'm thinking of changing teams, I'm tired of losing, I want to join the libs....I'll even start going to starbucks and chopping with a cloth bag, if that will get me in...I sure hate to have to start recycling though, that's too hard
Some have theorized the CRA was reparations, an underhanded method to get around legalities and the congress[plus the taxpayers], makes sense to me. Who picked up the tab? Us.

“life under BO”

buena vista

#3406 Nov 26, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Billionaire, self-made man, well respected.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-26/buff...
“Let’s forget about the rich and ultrarich going on strike and stuffing their ample funds under their mattresses if -- gasp -- capital gains rates and ordinary income rates are increased,” Buffett wrote.“Only in Grover Norquist’s imagination does such a response exist.”
There is a richer American somewhere, but he believes like Buffet does.
If you actually read the article you might learn something.
BTW: Reagan increased Capital gains from 15% to 28%.
Was Reagan a dictator? The president can't raise any source of revenue, that's the job of congress.
Billy Ringo

Forest Hills, NY

#3407 Nov 26, 2012
It's pretty obvious what the 2012 elections taught everyone - if they didn't already know it.

The Cons are one dumb bunch of azzclowns - who are mathematically challenged.

Obama was NEVER in danger of losing - he was ALWAYS ahead in all the so-called swing states. At no time was his lead in Ohio under 5 points.

As they say ..........

IT WAS A SLUM DUNK !!!!
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !!!!!

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3408 Nov 26, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
I figured so...you are the only lib that has a sense of humor, I bring you new hammer time as an example.
besides, young people have never heard of tony orlando, much less dawn.
And I could never figure out who was singing, sonny or cher, I think her voice was deeper than sonny's....and Chaz, don't even go there.
Strange. I was thinking about your exclusivity among conservs in the humor department. Well, at least our respect for one another's humor is some sort of uniter.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#3409 Nov 26, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
Some have theorized the CRA was reparations, an underhanded method to get around legalities and the congress[plus the taxpayers], makes sense to me. Who picked up the tab? Us.
lol! Your theories versus facts.

Talk about the lunatic fringe!

“life under BO”

buena vista

#3410 Nov 26, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Strange. I was thinking about your exclusivity among conservs in the humor department. Well, at least our respect for one another's humor is some sort of uniter.
you've never been funny, just funny looking Hymie.

“Ignore the trolls”

Since: Oct 08

London, UK

#3411 Nov 26, 2012
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>It may have been because of many things, however a level playing field would be nice. Then we would know for sure, right?
Watching from outside the USA, I would say there was a level playing field. The problem was the Republican message failed to put enough points on the board.

What was clear from the election is that the Republicans' programme was rejected. For the sake of the GOP, I trust someone there will learn that lesson from the 2012 campaign and result. A democracy is only as healthy as the opposition - there has to be a viable alternative to the governing party. However, that opposition also needs to show the ability to be statesmanlike in its behaviour, so people will view it as an alternative. To do both of these is not easy and takes courage. The first requires an honest assessment of why an electoral defeat occurred, not excuses. The second means working with the winning side, not obstructionist tactics. Imo, the next four years will define whether the Republicans can do both of these.
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3412 Nov 27, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you. You apparently run in the extremely wealthy circles. I don't know anyone who did that. I know many with high education. I know many who have worked in excess of 110 hours a week. I have know many who have demonstrated fantastic innovation. Yet, not one of them had access to wealth. No way to even borrow the money at obscene rates to get to market.(Bankers don't know how to use intellectual property as collateral.) There is only one person I know that makes more now than they did in 2000; and that person only because she completed course work to go from being a teacher's assistant to an ultra sound technician.
This is an accumulation of observations from people in Iowa, Texas, Arizona, Minnesota, New York, California, Colorado, Nevada and Maryland. Those who were poor are still poor. Of those who were in the middle class, some are struggling to stay there, but many have become poor.
You might argue that those are anecdotal. I agree, they form the basis of my opinion. But add to that the statistical analysis that shows clearly that 100% of the gains in the economy have gone to the rich, while those in the middle class, or the poor have lost ground over the last 30 years. The economy has grown, but only the rich have benefited from it.
Combining personal observation to broad statistical analysis draws a very clear picture in opposition to your anecdotes.
As to sound bytes? I would be interested if any media source actually reports these things. Can you provide a link? It might be a good source of information.
I think the question to ask is: What defines rich? Seems to me it may be as little as $250,000-$300,000. That is NOT rich but rather upper middle class. These are mostly professionals and owners of small business. They are the core who support their communities with their 'time, talent and treasure'. These are people who work 70 plus hours per week and known for being job creators. They are the folks who will have to reel things in when taxes and the cost of living interferes with their ability to prosper. Republicans tend to nurture this productive group who create jobs and benefit packages, innovate and create, grow the economy and raise the standard of living. The uber rich the libs pretend are the 'evil republicans' are mostly liberals or don't align themselves with any party because they don't need to. They are in the govt. pockets no matter who is in charge. Republicans represent the middle class, the ambitious and independent who want a smaller government that represents the people rather than one that controls them. "lIfe, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" was once a given, until now. The middle class will continue to become more enslaved by an oppressive govt. until it's ultimate collapse.
hahahahahaha

Carmel, IN

#3413 Nov 27, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Watching from outside the USA, I would say there was a level playing field. The problem was the Republican message failed to put enough points on the board.
What was clear from the election is that the Republicans' programme was rejected. For the sake of the GOP, I trust someone there will learn that lesson from the 2012 campaign and result. A democracy is only as healthy as the opposition - there has to be a viable alternative to the governing party. However, that opposition also needs to show the ability to be statesmanlike in its behaviour, so people will view it as an alternative. To do both of these is not easy and takes courage. The first requires an honest assessment of why an electoral defeat occurred, not excuses. The second means working with the winning side, not obstructionist tactics. Imo, the next four years will define whether the Republicans can do both of these.
The media is liberal so the playing field has never been level. Oscumma was certainly not a statesman because his party led the biggest smear campaign in history and it worked on the stupid. The lesson learned is the gimmes have outnumbered the productive. America has become a full fledged welfare state and one that will quickly approach the same financial cliff Greece has. The only way to save this country is to dismantle the govt. and start over.

Since: Jul 12

Chester, VA

#3414 Nov 27, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
If some of these lazy, uneducated freeloaders would take some of the jobs they have prepared themselves for, we wouldn't have 30 million illegal aliens here. Unfortunately some in the lower classes believe they shouldn't have to take low paying jobs, welfare is better.
First, we don't have 30,000,000 illegal aliens. Second, most people on public assistance work. It is low wages that keep them drawing money. In most states a single, able bodied adult is ineligable for public assistance under any circumstances except unemployment.

You might find one or two that are doing what you claim. I can find more Repoublicans claiming it is the reality than it is the exception. Governor Mike Huckabee Sunday before last said you were wrong and did not have a grasp of the real problem.

Chester, VA

#3415 Nov 27, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
a filthy lie from a bolshevik bozo. Did Bill Gates start out with billions? Did Buffet?
idiot.
Get off your fat azz and get a job.
Both Gates and Buffet started off upper-middle class. Gates was fortunate to go to a HS sponsored by IBM and got to tinker with computors and write code while in HS. In college he was fortunate to meet a couple of more people. Without either of these two events it is highly unlikely that Bill would be known at all.

Buffet was guided into business almost as much as Romney. Romney was given a deal he could not resist. His boss offered to set up with Bain. When Romney hesitated his boss made a deal where Mitt could not possibly lose a dime of his own money.

Now I am not an absolutist. Everyonce in a while someone from no where makes it to the upper world. But it happens so seldom in America as to be practically non-existent.

Chester, VA

#3416 Nov 27, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
CRA had nothing to do with our recent economic calamity and it has nothing to do with anything resembling reparations. Anyone with any knowledge of CRA knows that.

Tell you what though, you show me where Dimon and the other big financial executives are calling for reform of CRA instead of or with changes to Dodd-Frank and you might have something to use as a foundation to draw your sense from. Until then you have demonstrated how willingly you want to believe fairy tales.

Chester, VA

#3417 Nov 27, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
Was Reagan a dictator? The president can't raise any source of revenue, that's the job of congress.
Play it any way you want as long as you are consistent. When taxes go up Republican have 50% of Congress without giving them an ounce of credit in the Senate. However, consider that with 40+ Senators, the Republican party blocked more bills in the Senate in the last ~4 years than were blocked in the 50s, 60s and 70s combined.

Also not one dime was spent this year that was not explicitely approved by the Republican House. So all that deficit spending is 50% their fault as well.

And wasn't it nice that under Reagan the Democrats cut our taxes? And under bush it was the Republican tax cuts? And under Obama it is the Republican/Democrat tax cut extension.....until it becomes the Republican/Democrat tax hikes?

Like I said, any way you want to play it is fine with me.

And speaking of the CRA, during ~12 years of a Republican controlled Congress how many bills did they pass to change the CRA?

Chester, VA

#3418 Nov 27, 2012
sage won wrote:
<quoted text>
you've never been funny, just funny looking Hymie.
No, now you are wrong. He has never been funny to YOU perhaps. But to others he has been, me for one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Goober of Glovers... 1,143,967
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 4 min xxxrayted 2,944
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Dale 180,891
Elizabeth Warren calls out Obama on nominee 11 min radiofreeamerica 2
House expected to pass Keystone bill 23 min Retired SOF 150
Republicans strike early blow in U.S. midterm e... 26 min WelbyMD 582
Eisenhower Memorial Plan Still Faces Skepticism... 43 min barefoot2626 3
Reaction to the Ferguson Grand Jury's Decision 3 hr Charming Charlie 51

US Senate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE