Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
12,581 - 12,600 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
Your argument is one of choice, as in a person should be able to marry the consenting person of their choosing. Hence a sibling could be a "person of choice".
Choice and free will are a part of the equation, however the state may also intervene and infringe upon, or deny a right, when doing so serves a compelling state interest. This has been explained to you time and time again. Are you slow?
Pietro Armando wrote:
The word "conjugal" apparently confuses you. It used as a reference to husband AND wife, opposite sex, not necessarily a reference to sexual relations. So yes conjugal is the important aspect of marriage, its foundation.
Conjugal adjective : relating to marriage or to a married couple
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/con...
Once again, your logic fails.
Pietro Armando wrote:
Understood, however if we are discussing the redefinition of marriage, which we are, it is part of it.
We are talking about whether the restrictions existing in many jurisdictions are constitutional. Thus far, you have failed to offer any state interest furthered by limiting marriage to opposite sex unions that would render such a restriction constitutional.
Pietro Armando wrote:
Ohhhhhh.....so that's what's happening on the marriage redefinition side. Thanks for clearing that up.
Pietro, you are the one who is running scarred or offering irrelevant arguments rather than addressing the issue.

one could infer that you aren't terribly bright.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
There has got to be a reason why one dresses like a man. Is it to bring a sense of normality to the ceremony? When two men marry one doesn't usually wear a gown.
You asked No Cal which "played the man." That was a juvenile question aimed at a specific person.

As for the general question you've asked: You may as well ask why Hillary wears pants suits instead of dresses. Now surprise me by failing to make childish remarks about Hillary.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
For whom? I and my husband have been married 38 years now, SSM causes us no disunity or separatism and there is precisely zero discrimination against us....but then we are not bigots, unlike yourself;0)
Ohhhhhhhh......noooooooooo.... .not the ole "if you disagree with redefining marriage you must be a biogt" claim. It really gets some folks panties in a bunch when the individual who opposes marriage redefinition is gay, and opposes it for the very same reasons. That person is then vilified, called a "self loathing gay", a "traitor the cause", etc. Amazing the tolerance and diversity crowd, tolerates no dissent within the ranks. I guess they're rebels.
Interracial marriage did not cause discrimination, disunity or separatism....but the bigots certainly raised a stink over nothing.
Oh no not the "bigots" again. That does it, in order to eliminate "bigotry" in marriage law, all restrictions are removed, other than age of consent, and ability to consent. That way "bigots" will have nothing to latch on to.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Old Friend of the Family wrote:
<quoted text>
A sham...
Sorry, but NOT a sham.......it's as LEGAL, VALID AND RECOGNIZED as any other legal, valid and recognized marriage of an opposite-sex couple's is:-)

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
The word "conjugal" apparently confuses you. It used as a reference to husband AND wife, opposite sex, not necessarily a reference to sexual relations. So yes conjugal is the important aspect of marriage, its foundation.
Sorry, it DOESN'T confuse me......what confuses me is WHY you keep making an illogical claim about how important the word CONJUGAL is to the aspect of marriage...IT'S FOUNDATION as you claim, which is simply NOT true seeing as NO one is checking to see if the couple is actually performing a sexual act?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked No Cal which "played the man." That was a juvenile question aimed at a specific person.
As for the general question you've asked: You may as well ask why Hillary wears pants suits instead of dresses. Now surprise me by failing to make childish remarks about Hillary.
I showed that poster that women couple's wear whatever they want at their wedding and it ISN'T written in stone what one has to wear at THEIR wedding!!!

Thanks for having my back:-)
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Hillary wear pants at her wedding? I don't think so.
My question was why do gay women usually dress as bride and groom at their weddings. So far, no answer. I will continue to believe that they think it lends a touch of normalcy to the ceremony. No one yet has said otherwise.

Questions aimed at you. Since you were so wrong about the "modern" blood testing methods, do you think gay blood should be banned? If no, why not?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Jonah1 wrote:
No, it isn't. It's just a marriage.
No, it's a gay marriage. What was that Apple dictionary definition of gay?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
My question was why do gay women usually dress as bride and groom at their weddings. So far, no answer. I will continue to believe that they think it lends a touch of normalcy to the ceremony. No one yet has said otherwise.
Questions aimed at you. Since you were so wrong about the "modern" blood testing methods, do you think gay blood should be banned? If no, why not?
you can think whatever you want and the couples getting married can continue to both get married in the places where it's legal to get married and they can also continue to wear whatever they want to wear in those ceremonies. there's no law attached to the marriage ceremony itself describing legal attire for the participants or the bride and groom.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's a gay marriage. What was that Apple dictionary definition of gay?
then show us a marriage license or marriage certificate from somewhere in these united states describing as you insist it's called.

legally, we all know the correct term. it's you that having the little hissy fit about insisting on calling it something else.

reminds me of a parent insisting on teaching their children incorrect names of things.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, your question was answered......BECAUSE THEY CAN DRESS AS THEY PLEASE......it is after all THEIR WEDDING!!!

I also gave you links to weddings where both wear wedding dresses.......again, why? BECAUSE THEY CAN!!!

People getting married dress as they see fit.....some even wear casual attire at their wedding......imagine that!!!

The women who choose to wear pant suits instead of dresses has NOTHING to do with trying to be a "MAN", it's just them being comfortable in who they are.......sorry, you can handle that or understand that!!!

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's a gay marriage.
Nope, it's only a gay marriage in your head. The authority that sanctions it just refers to it as a marriage.
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
What was that Apple dictionary definition of gay?
Does the Apple dictionary now issue marriage licenses?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
My question was why do gay women usually dress as bride and groom at their weddings. So far, no answer. I will continue to believe that they think it lends a touch of normalcy to the ceremony.
You tend to intentionally think a lot of stupid things. We'll just add this one to the list. We've titled the list "Stupid Things that Morons Think".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
My question is, why do bigoted straight people spend inordinate amounts of time wondering about what other people wear? So far, no answer. I will continue to believe that its because their lives are so personally pathetic, that they have to spend time in imagination land in the hopes that it will make them feel better about themselves. I will continue to think that they believe everyone else thinks like they do. no one yet has said otherwise.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Wondering wrote:
Just because brides and grooms USUALLY (your word) wear white gowns and tuxes doesn't mandate that ALL must dress the same. There have probably been nudists married wearing nothing at all. Are they still married even though they did not wear what you expect them to wear? Yes!

What people wear to get married is hardly a compelling argument to stop same-sex couples from marrying and just how bigoted and homophobic you are.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Nope, it's only a gay marriage in your head. The authority that sanctions it just refers to it as a marriage.
<quoted text>
2. Does the Apple dictionary now issue marriage licenses?
1. 2 men get married, that's a gay marriage. Same for 2 women.
2. You can check with them.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
2. You can check with them.
Sorry, but we DON'T have a Same-Sex Marriage.....we're just married like any other couple who is married:-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. 2 men get married, that's a marriage of two gay men. Same for 2 women.

Notice hon how you didn't state "2 men get gay married....". it's because there's no such thing! Thanks for playing stupid.
Old Friend of the Family

Ridgewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but NOT a sham.......it's as LEGAL, VALID AND RECOGNIZED as any other legal, valid and recognized marriage of an opposite-sex couple's is:-)
Was slavery ever LEGAL, VALID AND RECOGNIZED? Debtor's Prison? Child labor? Ever?
The government is never wrong, after all...
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but we DON'T have a Same-Sex Marriage.....we're just married like any other couple who is married:-)
Which one of you wore the pants? Why?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••