Gun control debate heating up in statehouses

Dec 21, 2012 Full story: NBC29 2,688

By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: President Barack Obama says his administration has received an outpouring of support for stricter gun laws following last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, telling respondents to an online... President Barack ... (more)

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#292 Dec 30, 2012
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Let me get this straight. If you ask to borrow my car, and I permit you to use it, do you think you can take my car any time you want after that and that would make you the legal owner (as in legally owned firearm)? Three month later you can grab my keys and bug out?
I am responsible for what I say, honey, not for what you decide you want me to say so you make things up.

Now swallow... take a breath.... if you are living in my house and I loan you my car and then make a habit of loaning you my car, if you run into a parked car, I can't then say you stole my car and have you arrested.

The loan can easily be seen as implied permission.

Car, dog, machine gun: same thing.

And the owner of the other car can collect from me under what is known as 'vicarious liability'.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#293 Dec 30, 2012
Liberish wrote:
<quoted text>
You have officially descended into babble. You are now spewing nonsense, actually not just now you have been doing it for a while.
Borrow her stuff? Really..... Let me get this. He shot her and then
I cannot help that you cannot follow the thread and I am not responsible for the conclusions that you are so adept at jumping at.

For starters: the minute he pulled the trigger, he committed a crime.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#294 Dec 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The .223 was designed for a .223 rifle.
The AR-15 is not a 'varmit' rifle.
The Connecticut killer did not use a 'varmit' rifle to kill those children, he used an assault weapon.
I've been waiting on you to catch your goof. The AR15 fires the 5.56 which is NOT the .223. I'm still waiting on you to show any gun company that makes an assault weapon. I have contacted several and can't find a one that list an Assault weapon in their catalog. I have also called several law enforcement groups and asked how their AR15s were listed in their inventory, not one lists an assault weapon.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#295 Dec 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The AR-15 is not a bolt action rifle.
And neither is the assault weapon used by the killer in Connecticut.
If he had had a bolt action 'varmit' rifle- that Remington, for example- the children would be alive today.
Americans aren't concerned about bolt-action Remingtons.
1.5 million in just the last 5 years. Out of those how many have been used for varmint hunting compared to mass murders? I'll bet the ranch the hunting use drastically out weighs mass killings. You keep going back to claiming the children would still be alive today. You didn't know this man or his capabilities. You have no idea of what he "could" have done lacking a gun. I have provided over and over other mass killers who used OTHER weapons to kill just as many so your rant that you KNOW the children would still be alive is a bald face lie.
Liberish

AOL

#296 Dec 30, 2012
Sorry barefoot.

You are wrong. He was twenty years old. he could not legally posess the weapons, especially the handguns. He had no permits, could not get one at that age. When he entered the front door of that school he was already illegally in posession of those firearms.

He continued comitting crimes by pulling the trigger.

And I apologize for my previous statements. This issue, both the shooting and the knee jerk (in my opinion) legislative reactions to it have me concerned that the right thing gets done here.

Careful, thoughtful evaluation of the root causes and contributing factors and a well reasoned plan to address it. It is not singularly a gun control issue, the solution must be deeper than just that.

Again. Hoping we can fix it.

Tray

Oxford, MS

#297 Dec 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am responsible for what I say, honey, not for what you decide you want me to say so you make things up.
Now swallow... take a breath.... if you are living in my house and I loan you my car and then make a habit of loaning you my car, if you run into a parked car, I can't then say you stole my car and have you arrested.
The loan can easily be seen as implied permission.
Car, dog, machine gun: same thing.
And the owner of the other car can collect from me under what is known as 'vicarious liability'.
Loaning is on a each and every time bases under the law. If you give permission as to an open offer to loan an object then it is implied. "Take it anytime you need it" would apply otherwise you must ask each time. The law is implied if you don't have permission or can prove it was given then it is theft. If your car is in a crash then the police will ask the driver if they had permission and contact you to verify that and if you say no it was stolen then your friend goes to jail no matter how many times you loaned it to him before.
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

#298 Dec 30, 2012
Take guns out of the mix, and gun crime goes down. No shit Sherlock, gun crimes go down, but there are knives, and cars, poison, and all kinds of ways to kill, and maim. Nuts who want to kill will kill whether they have guns or not. The gun is to protect us from criminalks, b ut also to protect us against an over zealous government.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#299 Dec 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The AR-15 is not a bolt action rifle.
And neither is the assault weapon used by the killer in Connecticut.
If he had had a bolt action 'varmit' rifle- that Remington, for example- the children would be alive today.
Americans aren't concerned about bolt-action Remingtons.
Remington has made a lot of money selling bolt action .223 rifles. They have been selling them much much much longer than the R15 they produce. Here is a little question. Which came first, the .223 bolt action rifle or the .223 AR15?
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#300 Dec 30, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I've been waiting on you to catch your goof. The AR15 fires the 5.56 which is NOT the .223. I'm still waiting on you to show any gun company that makes an assault weapon. I have contacted several and can't find a one that list an Assault weapon in their catalog. I have also called several law enforcement groups and asked how their AR15s were listed in their inventory, not one lists an assault weapon.
5.56 is a designated NATO round, which is, doofus, the same as a .223. Your all wet with your facts and arguments.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#301 Dec 30, 2012
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>5.56 is a designated NATO round, which is, doofus, the same as a .223. Your all wet with your facts and arguments.
Sorry to bust your bubble but the 5.56 is loaded to a higher chamber pressure and NOT recommended to be used in a gun listed for .223. The brass is also thicker to help control that higher pressure.
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#302 Dec 30, 2012
7.62mm =.308 cal

5.56mm =.223 cal
Tell me when

Rochester, MN

#303 Dec 30, 2012
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>5.56 is a designated NATO round, which is, doofus, the same as a .223 Your all wet with your facts and arguments.
most do not know this
Tray

Oxford, MS

#304 Dec 30, 2012
How serious is the danger of firing 5.56 ammo in .223 guns? Dangerous enough that the SAAMI lists 5.56 military ammo as being not for use in .223 firearms in the technical data sheet titled “Unsafe Firearm-Ammunition Combinations.”
Tray

Oxford, MS

#305 Dec 30, 2012
Lowell wrote:
7.62mm =.308 cal
5.56mm =.223 cal
Not if it is stamped on the barrel. Manufacturer markings relate to different ammo. Telling people on an open forum unsafe information can cause liability issues.
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#306 Dec 30, 2012
Tray wrote:
How serious is the danger of firing 5.56 ammo in .223 guns? Dangerous enough that the SAAMI lists 5.56 military ammo as being not for use in .223 firearms in the technical data sheet titled “Unsafe Firearm-Ammunition Combinations.”
In VietNam the VC could shoot M16 .223 ammo in their AK47s but the AK47 ammo couldn't be shot in an M16.

This fact was an advantage in combat for obvious reasons.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#307 Dec 30, 2012
Lowell wrote:
<quoted text>
In VietNam the VC could shoot M16 .223 ammo in their AK47s but the AK47 ammo couldn't be shot in an M16.
This fact was an advantage in combat for obvious reasons.
Not true. The AK47 round (7.62x39) is not even close to the 5.56.
ickley

Celina, OH

#308 Dec 30, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Democrats did get their way- it was in all the papers.
Of course... that would mean you would need to be able to read...
The only ignorance here is that you cannot debate without being disagreeable.
Typical liberal
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#309 Dec 30, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Not true. The AK47 round (7.62x39) is not even close to the 5.56.
I understand that but if the shell casing chambers correctly allowing the firing pin to strike the primer if the bullet is much smaller than the barrel the bullet may still go down the barrel without full contact with the barrel but it's possible the round would function. And of course the the larger 7.62 would NOT go down the barrel of a 5.56 rifle.

It's a rumor I heard years ago from a VietNam vet.
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

#310 Dec 30, 2012
ickley wrote:
<quoted text>
The only ignorance here is that you cannot debate without being disagreeable.
Typical liberal
That IS a typical Libertard, they NEVER admit they are wrong, NEVER!!
Ky girl

Brentwood, TN

#311 Dec 30, 2012
sez you wrote:
People get murdered in a lot of ways but not as easily as pulling a trigger. All guns should be confiscated, banned and destroyed. It forces us to learn ways to get along.
sure, that'll work. You are a fool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McCain gives thumbs up to 'American Sniper' movie 56 min Cordwainer Trout 13
Romney version 3.0? 59 min justhefacts 149
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr mdbuilder 1,172,481
U.S. senator threatens aid cut to Palestinians ... 1 hr Asian Guy 55
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 183,732
At Koch summit, Rand Paul splits with Cruz, Rubio 1 hr Shinichiro Takizawa 20
Offshore drilling plan in Alaska may restrict p... 4 hr radiofreeamerica 2
More from around the web