Gun control debate heating up in statehouses

Dec 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC29

By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: President Barack Obama says his administration has received an outpouring of support for stricter gun laws following last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, telling respondents to an online... President Barack ... (more)

Comments (Page 12)

Showing posts 221 - 240 of2,689
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to find a spellchecker and learn how to use it.
Instead of shopping for .223 cartridges for your .223 handgun.
You get the caliper fixed on your handgun yet?
Lowell

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
In Virginia it must be .23 or larger having a muzzle energy of at least 350 foot lbs.
Never said the 22 rimfire was legal for hunting deer.
Minnesota being the libertard state it is allows deer to be shot with a 30 pound pull bow.

You know to allow the weak and feeble to hunt.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one pretending the .223 is a handgun load.
Or the one that is pretending the AR-15 is used for hunting varmints.
The .223 was and is designed for hunting varmits. The .223 Remington is one of the most common rifle cartridges in use in the United States, being widely used in two types of rifles:(1) varmint rifles, most of which are bolt action and commonly have 1-in-12 rifling twist suitable for bullets between 38 to 55 grains (2.5 to 3.6 g), and (2) semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14, which are commonly found to have twist rates of 1-in-7, 1-in-9, or 1-in-8.(Most modern AR-15s use 1-in-9 which is suitable for bullets up to 69 grains / 4.5 grams or 1-in-7 which is suitable for slightly heavier bullets, but older M16's used 1-in-12 twist rates, making them suitable for use with bullets of 55 grains / 3.6 grams.) The semi-automatic rifle category is often used by law enforcement, for home defense, and for varmint hunting. Among the many popular modern centerfire rifle cartridges,.223 Remington ammunition is among the least expensive and is often used by avid target shooters, particularly in the "service rifle" category or 3 gun matches. The .223 is also used in survival rifles. The .223 Remington (5.56x45mm) is a cartridge that is ballistically in-between its predecessors, the .222 Remington, and the .222 Remington Magnum. The .222 Remington was introduced in the Remington Arms Model 722 bolt action rifle, and was an instant success. Factory rifles often produce groups of one minute of arc (0.3 mrad) or less with no tuning. The accuracy and flat trajectory of the cartridge resulted in the adoption of the round for varmint and benchrest rifles.

Since: Dec 12

Mount Carmel, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

When our forefathers created the second amendment there guns fired one bullet at a time. A "One Bullet Law" would bring back there original vision, protect our rights and save lives. A simple solution. If you agree, You can help. sign this petition to the White House http://wh.gov/n4JF
We can not expect such a law to pass but it will remind the lawmakers how things went so wrong.

Since: Nov 11

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone with your knowledge of weapons should know that if there is a cartridge manufactured anywhere in the world, you can find a handgun to put it in.
Happy to see the percentage of handguns manufactured to fire a .223.
What fraction of one percent- someone with your knowledge should be able to make a educated guess- what percentage of one percent would you put it?
I would bet it is close to the percentage of legal gun owners who commit violent crimes.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The are people who use the AR-15 on varmints and people who use the AR-15 on children.
If you knew something about rifles, you would know the AR-15 is more closely designed for killing people rather than varmints. It is, more or less, a M-16 that has been made legal to people who want to pretend it is a M-16.
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.
You do realize more people have been killed in the U.S. by baseball bats than AR15's don't you? Last time I checked bats were not designed for murder.

Since: Nov 11

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

onlyonebullet wrote:
When our forefathers created the second amendment there guns fired one bullet at a time. A "One Bullet Law" would bring back there original vision, protect our rights and save lives. A simple solution. If you agree, You can help. sign this petition to the White House http://wh.gov/n4JF
We can not expect such a law to pass but it will remind the lawmakers how things went so wrong.
Should three thugs come into your home with their chains, knifes and other implement of destruction do you want a single shot firearm? If you only had a single shot firearm nobody would wonder "how things went so wrong."
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The are people who use the AR-15 on varmints and people who use the AR-15 on children.
If you knew something about rifles, you would know the AR-15 is more closely designed for killing people rather than varmints. It is, more or less, a M-16 that has been made legal to people who want to pretend it is a M-16.
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.
According to the FBI, U.S. murders in 2010 by rifles (which include but not limited to the AR-15) were 358. Handguns are clearly the weapon of choice for murders, as they were used in 6,009 murders. Knives were responsible for 1,704 murders, almost five times as many as rifles, and hands, fists and feet were the weapons of choice in 745 murders, more than double the number for rifles!
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

The FBI murder statistics do not differentiate between types of rifles. There are about 100 million rifles in the United States. In 2009, the last year in which numbers have been reported, there were 13,636 murders. Guns were used to murder 9,146 people. Hands and feet were used to murder 801 people. Blunt objects were used to murder 611 people. Rifles were used to murder 348 people, and that is all rifles, of which semi-auto rifles are only a small fraction. Semi-auto rifles are used so infrequently in homicides that many police departments almost never see them; in 2009, there were nine states that did not have a single murder committed with any rifle.
Colt 45

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone with your knowledge of weapons should know that if there is a cartridge manufactured anywhere in the world, you can find a handgun to put it in.
Happy to see the percentage of handguns manufactured to fire a .223.
What fraction of one percent- someone with your knowledge should be able to make a educated guess- what percentage of one percent would you put it?
Really a waste of time to try and communicate anything resembling facts with you.
You asked what handgun used a .223 and I provided one,question answered.You also said that .223 was not used for hunting,that in it's self shows your ignorance,and that's okay if you admit that you are wrong after being presented with fact's, it's when you continue to argue you lose any credibility.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

onlyonebullet wrote:
And the press was exactly that, a hand pressed paper. No TV no radio, no internet. The forefathers (some were inventors) saw technological advancements in their time in guns as well as other improvements in their lives. It would be foolish to assume they would not know arms would also improve after they were gone, that would be why the constitution says "ARMS" not flintlocks or muskets.
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Are there any gun shows in Illinois? My brother is meeting my husband at one down south next month. Those people will not allow the hitlerites to disarm them. How many guns are too many? Democrats are so stupid. They picked this fight, and it will paralyze the President's second term. Obama is about to find out he is not a King. I think it is fun to watch. He has such big gun grabbing ideas. Someone tell the poor thing about the Supreme Court.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Now you add widely to your "fact" - another tapdance step.
For most, it was understood.

Still waiting for that percentage of ".223" handguns.

I said it was a fraction of one percent- I could be wrong there, it is closer to a fraction of a fraction of one percent.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Lowell wrote:
<quoted text>
You get the caliper fixed on your handgun yet?
You learn how to spell 'caseing' yet?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The .223 was and is designed for hunting varmits.
The .223 was designed for a .223 rifle.

The AR-15 is not a 'varmit' rifle.

The Connecticut killer did not use a 'varmit' rifle to kill those children, he used an assault weapon.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Tray wrote:
(1) varmint rifles, most of which are bolt action .
The AR-15 is not a bolt action rifle.

And neither is the assault weapon used by the killer in Connecticut.

If he had had a bolt action 'varmit' rifle- that Remington, for example- the children would be alive today.

Americans aren't concerned about bolt-action Remingtons.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
For most, it was understood.
Still waiting for that percentage of ".223" handguns.
I said it was a fraction of one percent- I could be wrong there, it is closer to a fraction of a fraction of one percent.
Your hair splitting appears as a desperate attempt to grasp at the one remaining straw. You've been put to the mat on every point you raised, now take like a big girl and let it rest!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>I would bet it is close to the percentage of legal gun owners who commit violent crimes.
The majority of murders committed by gun owners were legal right up to the point they pulled the trigger.

E.G.: the Connecticut killer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hair splitting
My splitting hairs in pointing out the percentage of .223 hand guns is a fraction of a fraction of one percent?

Compared to others suggesting that the .223 hand gun is a common weapon?
Liberish

Southington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority of murders committed by gun owners were legal right up to the point they pulled the trigger.
E.G.: the Connecticut killer.
Uhhh wrong on that one genius. Illegal the moment he laid his paws on them.

I've been following this thread and you appear to be the master of the incorrect. Spewer of mis-information, and generally wrong about many of the "facts" you are citing.

Please stop embarassing yourself, if that is at all possible.

Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 221 - 240 of2,689
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••