O.S. mayor's race already gearing up

“I have every intention of running for re-election.”

The Ocean Springs mayor's race is a year and a half away, but there are already potential candidates seriously considering running, some even testing the waters.

The mayor and three others have acknowledged it's on their minds. Most won't make their final decisions until about this time next year. The deadline to qualify is March 2009.

Why such interest in a city race so soon? One politician said Ocean Springs is attractive on several levels and the political climate leads candidates to believe they have a shot at the job. Read more

Full Story
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
David

Moss Point, MS

#1 Dec 2, 2007
*****Travis Norman***** all the way hands down. John McKay what a jerk you think connie is bad.
Connie Moran shoud not even be in the race.
Navah

United States

#2 Dec 2, 2007
I will be thrilled to see Moran and her minions long gone. She has made Ocean Springs look like a spoiled baby since the storm. See ya!
Curious Onlooker

Brandon, MS

#3 Dec 3, 2007
If John McKay is so gung ho about running for mayor, he should have never ran for re-election as county supe.
J Edwards

Nampa, ID

#4 Dec 3, 2007
Travis Norman does not have what it takes to be mayor. For one thing he doesn't seem to understand the form of government Ocean Springs operates under. I remember some of the statements he made when running in the last election. He was going to fire this person and get rid of that person. He made a lot of promises and statements that he was going to do this and that. Lots of change was coming! Ocean Springs has a weak mayor form of government. The mayor gets no vote except to break a tie. The aldermen do all the hiring and firing and they set policy and control the appropriations and spending. Nothing gets done unless the aldermen approve it. Candidates for mayor that promise change basically reveal their ignorance about how things work. What they should be saying is that they will work with and persuade members of the board to allow them to make changes. This has been Morans weakness she just doesn't seem to understand that she works for the board of aldermen. She has gone on her own trying to get some things done and has alienated most of the board (at some time or other). I can't think of a single thing that Moran has gotten built, or anything significant that has been accomplishe during her term. She had a big ground breaking celebration on the Fort Maurepaus project years ago but look at it just sitting there.
Curious Onlooker

Brandon, MS

#5 Dec 3, 2007
Do you think the aldermen are aware that the City of Ocean Springs operates under a weak mayor form of government? It would appear not because they're afraid to stand up to her.
iou

College Station, TX

#6 Dec 27, 2007
If I were to interview each candidate with one question, it would be:

"WILL YOU FINALLY GET RID OF THE PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR, OR WILL YOU ALLOW HIM TO STAY AND WREAK HAVOC ON STABILITY AND MORALE IN CITY HALL?"
Curious Onlooker

Brandon, MS

#7 Dec 31, 2007
The mayor doesn't have the power to get rid of the public works director. The board of aldermen has must vote to remove a department head and I think most of the aldermen who know what they're doing know that Andre Kaufman is one of the city's biggest assets.
Jonesy

Boise, ID

#8 May 18, 2008
Scott Walker!!!! He knows what Ocean Springs needs and he's not afraid to go after it. He may be young but maybe we need someone with his energy to take us into the future.
Dick Mussell

Yazoo City, MS

#9 May 19, 2008
But Connie Moran has nice juggs.
wonder why

Gulfport, MS

#10 May 24, 2008
has a big butt too!

I'd definitely vote for Scott Walker and hope for the best. Maybe he would get rid of the public works director. Anybody know why you're allowed to smoke in a city building? It stinks to the high heavens in there (or it did the last time I was in there).
gone gone

United States

#11 May 25, 2008
wonder why wrote:
I'd definitely vote for Scott Walker and hope for the best. Maybe he would get rid of the public works director.
I wish whoever ends up being mayor a lot of luck. City Hall is a snakepit. For a place that needs a lot of help, it's surprising how much backstabbing, backbiting, infighting etc. goes on. The only sensible ones have long since quit. Everyone else seems more interested in working at a soap opera than running a city.

The other cities on the coast are so far ahead of OS it ain't even funny.
Smiley

Nampa, ID

#12 May 28, 2008
I'm wondering if the City of Ocean Springs runs back ground checks on employees. Amazing to me how someone who has over 20 years worth of criminal history and has served time can work for the city.....Not only that, after Katrina, this person lied and cheated FEMA and his home owners insurance out of thousands of dollars, and still walks around like he is an honest citizen. What a joke!
Jacob

Nampa, ID

#13 May 28, 2008
who on earth are you talking about?
wonder why

Gulfport, MS

#14 May 29, 2008
I'm with you on that one, Jacob? I'd love to know who that is.
Smiley

Nampa, ID

#15 May 30, 2008
Jacob wrote:
who on earth are you talking about?
Just put it to you like this, It's apparent they don't do background checks or else this person wouldn't have the job with the city. Maybe its because he was best friends with the last chief of police. I'm not going to throw out the name of this person, he know's who he is and all the things he has done wrong in his lifetime will catch up with him sooner or later.
not likely

Biloxi, MS

#16 May 30, 2008
Smiley wrote:
<quoted text>Just put it to you like this, It's apparent they don't do background checks or else this person wouldn't have the job with the city. Maybe its because he was best friends with the last chief of police. I'm not going to throw out the name of this person, he know's who he is and all the things he has done wrong in his lifetime will catch up with him sooner or later.
I find it very unlikely that is the case. I also know of nothing that stops you from having a job, regardless of your background. With statements as vague as this, I can infer this person cleans ditches, or catches loose animals, and I personally do NOT care if they wrote a $500 bad check 15 years ago.

So, having said that, I would bet there will be no followup on your accusations.
Smiley

Nampa, ID

#17 May 30, 2008
not likely wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it very unlikely that is the case. I also know of nothing that stops you from having a job, regardless of your background. With statements as vague as this, I can infer this person cleans ditches, or catches loose animals, and I personally do NOT care if they wrote a $500 bad check 15 years ago.
So, having said that, I would bet there will be no followup on your accusations.
accusations? HARDLY! Maybe you should think before you speak!#1 he dosent dig ditches!or catch loose animals #2 he didnt write a bad check. Try armed robbery several times, murder, did time in the penn, escaped and got more time. He hasnt stopped or else he wouldnt have cheated FEMA. Also, 9 out of 10 places WILL NOT hire you if you have a criminal history! 9 out of 10 places hire someone, then find out later the history and WILL FIRE you for it. Don't know who you are, but you need to get your facts straight before you open your mouth. I don't make accusations against anyone. I have the proof to back me, try a report from NCIC on this person. I work for law enforcement so I know my facts. Don't bother replying because I could care less about anymore of your stupid remarks. With a mind like yours, your probably only capable of digging ditches!
wonder why

Gulfport, MS

#18 Jun 1, 2008
has anyone heard that Connie Moran got a DUI in Jackson MS? I can't find anything about it so don't know if its true or not. just curious!
ntheknow

Nampa, ID

#19 Jun 1, 2008
So the Mayor missed the bus to an event in Baton
Rouge and she says it was because she was early.
RIGHT!!! And then she had an on duty police officer drive her in her City Vehicle. Someone
should calculate what that cost the City. And her
comment is "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS"
The big deal once again is wasted tax dollars.
That's the big deal.
wonder why

Gulfport, MS

#20 Jun 2, 2008
when was this? she seems to cost us a lot of money -- why didn't she drive herself? To get there faster or does she not have a driver's license? Where did she make that statement?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min John Galt 1,153,458
US and Cuba move to normalize ties, open embassy 10 min xxxrayted 74
US to start talks with Cuba to normalize full d... 20 min Foster 41
Nancy Pelosi 'Enormously Disappointed' With Whi... 22 min barefoot2626 112
Cheney again defends interrogation techniques 30 min Foster 297
Not much chance of Congress stopping Cuba policy 56 min Doc Proper 14
How 2014 Was the Beginning of the End for the G... 1 hr there will not be... 20
More from around the web