Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1704890 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#734383 Sep 7, 2012
Obama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
Military people don't pay taxes but they get free housing, medical, dental, clothing, food, a whopping bonus every 4 years and a lifetime pension. Poor single black women don't get free anything and often have to turn to selling drugs or prostitution just to survive, yet Republicans do everything in their power to keep them from voting. There's something terribly wrong with that.
"nobama 2012"
You sorry sack of shit, the military deserve every benefit they get.
Peace
KMA

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

United States

#734384 Sep 7, 2012
Blaming Obama for George W. Bush’s Policies
By BRUCE BARTLETT

Although it was quickly overshadowed by his choice of Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin as his running mate, Mitt Romney released an important document last week by his principal economic advisers that deserves more attention than it got. It is an audacious attempt to blame Barack Obama for the economic mistakes of George W. Bush and Republicans in Congress.

The document is attributed to economists Glenn Hubbard of Columbia, N. Gregory Mankiw of Harvard, John B. Taylor of Stanford and Kevin Hassett of the American Enterprise Institute. Professors Hubbard and Mankiw each chaired the Council of Economic Advisers under President Bush, while Professor Taylor served him as under secretary for international affairs at the Treasury Department. Mr. Hassett is co-author of the book,“Dow 36,000,” published in 1999.

Much of the Romney paper is taken up with reviewing the poor economic recovery, which is undeniable. Reading it, however, one is left with the impression that the recession occurred on President Obama’s watch because of policies he is responsible for.

Just to be clear, the National Bureau of Economic Research, the private research group that determines the starting and ending points of recessions, says the latest economic downturn began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009.

The report points to various causes of the recession as if they all just happened without the responsibility of one party or administration. As the report says,“No single party or administration is responsible for structural headwinds to growth.”

That is probably true. But what about cyclical changes in growth and unemployment? These are the ups and downs in the economy that occur around the trend rate of growth, which is determined by structural factors, as the report correctly asserts.

Factors affecting the business cycle are necessarily short-term in nature. They include Federal Reserve policy; international capital flows; industry-specific policies such as those affecting housing; fiscal policy and many others.

Such factors must necessarily have occurred after the previous recession, which ended in November 2001, according to the N.B.E.R. That’s the nature of business-cycle analysis; once a previous recession ends, the cyclical factors that gave rise to it are assumed to have been purged. The next recession will necessarily result from those factors that postdate the previous recession.

So whatever caused the 2007-9 recession had to have resulted from policies that the Bush administration was responsible for – either by initiating them or failing to act against them.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#734385 Sep 7, 2012
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Krauthammer and Hume; two of the ugliest men on tv; they could be extras in horror films.
Ha ha ha....wow, you can't dispute a thing posted so you resort personal attacks on their looks. You get more pathetic with each post, really you should just stop, it only makes you look worse each time.

So gradeschool playground of you. You were confronted with facts that disagree with what you want to believe and what you want everyone else to believe and you come back with an "oh yeah, well you're ugly" response. What's next.....are you going to tell us your daddy can beat up their daddy? OMG you are a hoot! Pathetic but a hoot for sure!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
mr owl II

Montgomery, AL

#734386 Sep 7, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
My God.
Will one, Just one of you right wingers please please get INFORMED.
The case was brought because white people were given loans and blacks were nit even though they had similar finances.
Yes, it is OK for the government to intervene when there is racial; discrimination.
Who gets to define discrimination RealDave?

If it was your money that was lost due to these folks failing to REPAY would you VOTE in a politician to bail you out or would you press on?

Would you repeat the loans again?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#734387 Sep 7, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
December 19, 2008 7:00 A.M.
A Republican Stimulus Plan
Act now.
By Mitt Romney
What is Washington waiting for? The inauguration is less than five weeks away: At the rate we’ve been going, another 500,000 jobs will be lost by then. The downward spiral is deepening and accelerating: Congress and the president must act now.
American families have lost about $11 trillion in net worth as securities and home values have plummeted. This translates into about $400 billion less annual consumer spending, net of government safety-net funding. Exports won’t grow to make this up, as the dollar has strengthened with investors worldwide clamoring for its relative security. Investments won’t make up the gap either, as bank loans and secondary-market financing have shrunk and as fresh equity is virtually non-existent.
So this is surely the time for economic stimulus.
....The Democrats may want to wait for Obama, but the country needs action now. Republicans can — and must — play an important role in shaping a stimulus bill that makes sense for America and lays a foundation for future prosperity and growth.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/226567...
Go Romney! Oh wait. That was 'yesterday'. Who knows what he's saying today.
Yesterday's gone eh?

Florida's new today Romney ad claims that 900,000 workers lost their jobs due to the housing/mortgage crisis, that home values have plummeted nearly 50% yada-yada, basically the same shyte I've been posting since before Obama was elected.

But Mitt's ad attempts to blame all of Florida's woes on Obama.

I thought Kerry's speech was hot stuff as he's probably had more personal interaction with Mitt than any other national level politician.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
carol

Orlando, FL

#734388 Sep 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Bah, the spinners hard at work and Carol lapping it all up.
Just glad this week is over. Now we can go about the business of convincing even more clear-thinking Americans it's time to turn the page.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jimmy

Hamden, CT

#734389 Sep 7, 2012
sonicfilter wrote:
Fox News Debunks Years Of Its Own Commentary By Accurately Reporting That Health Care Reform Reduces Deficit
http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/09/06/fox-...
1:35
Media Matters? You might as well post Jason Blair stories, wingnut.

"The answer, unfortunately, is that the budget office is required to take written legislation at face value and not second-guess the plausibility of what it is handed. So fantasy in, fantasy out.

In reality, if you strip out all the gimmicks and budgetary games and rework the calculus, a wholly different picture emerges: The health care reform legislation would raise, not lower, federal deficits, by $562 billion."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/opinion/21h...

Media Matters?

Baaawwwaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#734390 Sep 7, 2012
Obama 2012 wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama not only can, he eventually will. President Obama has the courage to make the hard and often unpopular choices it takes to make this country a better place to live. He will eventually ban the private ownership of firearms because he knows it will make America a better place to live. He knows Americans are sick and tired of the slaughter and massacres caused on a daily basis by you gun nuts. Unless you are a member of a "well regulated militia", i.e. a law enforcement officer, you have no "right" to own a firearm. So enjoy your so-called 2nd amendment "right" while you can. It will soon be coming to an end and the sooner the better.
"nobama 2012"
You continue to prove yourself to be an ignorant azz. president nobama can not ban gun ownership for American citizens. If he attempted to do so he would be impeached and convicted. Many, many liberals are firm believers and supporters of the 2 nd. amendment.
Peace
KMA

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jimmy

Hamden, CT

#734391 Sep 7, 2012
"Just hours after VP Joe Biden declares 'America has turned a corner,' the Labor Department reports even weaker jobs growth last month, fewer jobs created this year — and even more people just giving up the search. In Biden's words:'How IS this going to affect the average American?'"

http://www.foxnews.com/
sonicfilter wrote:
Blaming Obama for George W. Bush’s Policies
By BRUCE BARTLETT
Although it was quickly overshadowed by his choice of Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin as his running mate, Mitt Romney released an important document last week by his principal economic advisers that deserves more attention than it got. It is an audacious attempt to blame Barack Obama for the economic mistakes of George W. Bush and Republicans in Congress.
The document is attributed to economists Glenn Hubbard of Columbia, N. Gregory Mankiw of Harvard, John B. Taylor of Stanford and Kevin Hassett of the American Enterprise Institute. Professors Hubbard and Mankiw each chaired the Council of Economic Advisers under President Bush, while Professor Taylor served him as under secretary for international affairs at the Treasury Department. Mr. Hassett is co-author of the book,“Dow 36,000,” published in 1999.
Much of the Romney paper is taken up with reviewing the poor economic recovery, which is undeniable. Reading it, however, one is left with the impression that the recession occurred on President Obama’s watch because of policies he is responsible for.
Just to be clear, the National Bureau of Economic Research, the private research group that determines the starting and ending points of recessions, says the latest economic downturn began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009.
The report points to various causes of the recession as if they all just happened without the responsibility of one party or administration. As the report says,“No single party or administration is responsible for structural headwinds to growth.”
That is probably true. But what about cyclical changes in growth and unemployment? These are the ups and downs in the economy that occur around the trend rate of growth, which is determined by structural factors, as the report correctly asserts.
Factors affecting the business cycle are necessarily short-term in nature. They include Federal Reserve policy; international capital flows; industry-specific policies such as those affecting housing; fiscal policy and many others.
Such factors must necessarily have occurred after the previous recession, which ended in November 2001, according to the N.B.E.R. That’s the nature of business-cycle analysis; once a previous recession ends, the cyclical factors that gave rise to it are assumed to have been purged. The next recession will necessarily result from those factors that postdate the previous recession.
So whatever caused the 2007-9 recession had to have resulted from policies that the Bush administration was responsible for – either by initiating them or failing to act against them.
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#734392 Sep 7, 2012
So rightwingers want the poor to pay more taxes or their 'fair share', people who have no money to pay taxes, while continuing to want tax cuts for the rich, the people who can actually afford to pay taxes, all the while justifying a war we still haven't paid for.

Get back to me when you have a leg to stand on.

Homer, kindler, gentler, clearer, more concise

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#734393 Sep 7, 2012
Looks like Bill Clinton won the ratings game edging out NFL football. Yeah I know the righties here all have their own numbers which favor Honey Boo Boo but, when you count all the different networks rating's for all adults in the 10PM time slot, Clinton wins.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
And so it goes

Scottsbluff, NE

#734394 Sep 7, 2012
Time to go back to 2004

The August jobs report released this morning showed the economy gaining a disappointing 96,000 jobs. While running for Senate in 2004, then state senator Obama twice dismissed and criticized a Bush jobs reporting showing a gain of over 300,000 jobs.

http://youtu.be/4XvV9A1Ib-s

WH today comment on the job report was ...are you ready...for the forty second month they said "don't read to much into it."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
mr owl II

Montgomery, AL

#734395 Sep 7, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
It matters because it is being a hypocrite to trash someone when you did the same thing.
There is no penalty. Why do you think your dividends deserved a 15% cut & your long term capital gains deserved a 25& cut?
Why do you think investment income should get taxed less than income working people sweat to earn?
If that is in your retirement account, then it is not taxed until you take it out & then its ordinary income.
Wise up, Mr Owl. You're looking mighty dumb here.
I guess you're mad because Obama won't let Oklahoma drill off its coastline?
You do know why Texas hasn't fallen in to the gulf? Because OK sucks. A state full of weirdo far right nutjobs like your Senator Imholf. What a wackjob. Pass any more state laws about Sharia Law? Too funny.
I work too....you idiot...they are collecting taxes from me!

the stock portfolio is MY RETIREMENT...you don't understand (or you are a selfish turd) because your retirement is Social Security...

I defend my retirement like you do...
My retirment came from my wages...and my investing skills and luck.
Your retirment (social security) comes from my wages, my sons wages , and my parents wages, my cousins wages...etc...

get it?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jane Says

Jamaica, NY

#734396 Sep 7, 2012
ProudDumbo Dem wrote:
<quoted text> Lyin' lily pretends she's going for a jog at the beach, but instead, is still posting from behind the warehouse. Have another drink.
Looney thinks she is sophisticated, but I'll bet if she visited NYC, she'd be one of those tacky tourists who wears a fannie pack. Boca Raton is a lot of new money with ostentatious entranced developments sandwiched between highways. fake lakes are her style.

meanwhile, another one of her hoodie wearing inlaws was involved in a tragic crime yesterday--killed a hardworking immigrant.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/man_...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#734397 Sep 7, 2012
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if the rate went up, it would have been a good thing?
For Romney maybe.
Now the right has to make up excuses why the drop is a disaster.
When the rate went up, All we heard was thet rate" "the Rate".
Now it we t back down, we hear "Excuses" "excuses"
You right wingers are soooooo predictable.
How come we never counted the underemployed and the 'people who stopped looking for work' when Bush was president?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“I've visited all 57 states!”

Since: Mar 12

Jivetown

#734398 Sep 7, 2012
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Compared to the mess you left, 30 straight months of good news, and getting better and that's why your stupid will be showing even more come November. LOSER. Just think if you and idiots like you AKA the congress would say or do anything to help where we could be?
So you think one in seven Americans being unemployed or underemployed is good news? You must be gleeful when you step in a pile of dogshit then.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jane Says

Jamaica, NY

#734399 Sep 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
So rightwingers want the poor to pay more taxes or their 'fair share', people who have no money to pay taxes, while continuing to want tax cuts for the rich, the people who can actually afford to pay taxes, all the while justifying a war we still haven't paid for.
where does wealth redistribution work Homer? which country? and who supports/protects that country militarily if not themselves?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“I've visited all 57 states!”

Since: Mar 12

Jivetown

#734400 Sep 7, 2012
Homer wrote:
What makes you think that, moron?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#734401 Sep 7, 2012
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"nobama 2012"
You continue to prove yourself to be an ignorant azz. president nobama can not ban gun ownership for American citizens. If he attempted to do so he would be impeached and convicted. Many, many liberals are firm believers and supporters of the 2 nd. amendment.
Peace
KMA
Hey phuckface, for once you are right, he also has no desire to ban gun ownership.

Although it was fun watching millions of rightwingers make a run on the gun stores when it appeared he was going to be elected. That really did show Homer just how dumb rightwingers were/are.

Of course now there are millions more idiots with guns out there.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#734402 Sep 7, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha....wow, you can't dispute a thing posted so you resort personal attacks on their looks. You get more pathetic with each post, really you should just stop, it only makes you look worse each time.
So gradeschool playground of you. You were confronted with facts that disagree with what you want to believe and what you want everyone else to believe and you come back with an "oh yeah, well you're ugly" response. What's next.....are you going to tell us your daddy can beat up their daddy? OMG you are a hoot! Pathetic but a hoot for sure!
That kind of mentality picking on some ones looks is school yard.
We have to conceed that point'
I want to hear from you Righties and
X ObamaSupporter do you hold the same contempt for the righs idiots,t
like Rush Limbaugh going off on Fluke or the Birther babble
Or is your critisism aim only left

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 10 min Cat 59,411
News Donald Trump endorses Mitt Romney in run for US... 13 min anonymous 1
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 24 min side note 16,593
News The Latest: Jimmy Kimmel squarely blames Trump,... 1 hr big tiki 18
News 'Get on the Right Side': Shooting Survivors Dec... 1 hr Bama Yankee 58
News Dem Sen Nelson: 'Let's Get These Assault Weapon... 3 hr Prosperity Fundie... 158
News 'We will be the last mass shooting': Florida st... 3 hr Retribution 41
More from around the web