Who still takes global warming seriou...

Who still takes global warming seriously?

There are 30878 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jan 28, 2010, titled Who still takes global warming seriously?. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Despite the recent discovery of the e-mails that resulted in "Climate Gate" and the fact this has been one of the coldest and harshest winters in many years, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#31696 Mar 24, 2013
@brian

Climate science is not a "religion" for me, and I actually have a measurable amount of skepticism about many of the predictions made my climate modeling. Why? If you could flip a quarter and know all the factors- wind, air resistance, and even quantum fluctuations in gravity, then you could calculate exactly how the quarter should land. However, nature does not provide us with such certain metrics. Therefore, climate models which attempt to predict the global impact of carbon emissions fall way short of that promise. Fortunately, though, one thing is certain. We know that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and that the rate at which we are pumping it into the atmosphere is dangerous. Scientists can date rocks back to the Permian era to determine the content of co2 in the atmosphere, and also determine the mean global temperature at the time. If prehistory is any indication, we are headed down a dangerous path. That is why I said it is not a question of "if", but "when?".
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#31697 Mar 24, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>. I'm glad your toes are colder than normal.
"I'M GLAD"(???)... Enjoying the suffering of fellow human beings? Research may show that other AGW Alarmists also receive pleasure from the discomfort of others... Does "Matt" ring a bell to all you AGW perverts?

Are the scientists whom you bestow your faith upon equally perverted?

Oh, wait, I do recall Phil Jones writing to Dr. Mann that he wished AGW would hurt people so that they would see he was right about how terrible AGW will be.

You perverts are worse than a fundamentalist Christian.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#31698 Mar 24, 2013
My apologies,
I wish to retract a indiscreet use of the term "pervert".
the more precise noun would be sadist.
Dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#31699 Mar 24, 2013
Josh in New Orleans wrote:
@brian
Climate science is not a "religion" for me, and I actually have a measurable amount of skepticism about many of the predictions made my climate modeling. Why? If you could flip a quarter and know all the factors- wind, air resistance, and even quantum fluctuations in gravity, then you could calculate exactly how the quarter should land. However, nature does not provide us with such certain metrics. Therefore, climate models which attempt to predict the global impact of carbon emissions fall way short of that promise. Fortunately, though, one thing is certain. We know that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and that the rate at which we are pumping it into the atmosphere is dangerous. Scientists can date rocks back to the Permian era to determine the content of co2 in the atmosphere, and also determine the mean global temperature at the time. If prehistory is any indication, we are headed down a dangerous path. That is why I said it is not a question of "if", but "when?".
At the same time Man is pumping CO2 into the atmosphere Man is also putting a great deal of heat into the atmosphere. Why is that never mentioned as a factor in AGW?

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

#31700 Mar 24, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>At the same time Man is pumping CO2 into the atmosphere Man is also putting a great deal of heat into the atmosphere. Why is that never mentioned as a factor in AGW?
Good point. It is mentioned though, but not in terms of global warming because the amount of heat generated by humankind is not enough to influence the average global temperature. However, so-called "urban heat environments" do cause notable environmental changes such as dust domes, where a pocket of heat over cities meets colder air at higher altitudes. The colder air traps the heat and any pollutants in it, and at such high concentrations, the pocket moves at low altitude over surrounding lands, changing the atmosphere at the ground, thereby covering plants in dust deposits and causing acidic rain (sulphur oxides reaction). That is a very real problem in agriculture.

"the green troll"

#31701 Mar 25, 2013
<quoted text>At the same time Man is pumping CO2 into the atmosphere Man is also putting a great deal of heat into the atmosphere. Why is that never mentioned as a factor in AGW?
Gee, professor, maybe because the two factors are quantifiable and one is not significant?
PHD

Overton, TX

#31702 Mar 25, 2013
My apologies,
No need to for an apology you were correct the first time.

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#31703 Mar 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Plankton includes algae, they need CO2 to live and build their shells.
Without CO2, life as we know it would be impossible.
Yawwwnn...the usual non-sequiturs and strawmen. NO one has said the Earth didn't need C02, clueless and disingenuous one...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#31704 Mar 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Not only isn't carbon dioxide "[E]arth's main thermostat", Earth doesn't have a thermostat. A thermostat is a man made device and Earth's temperature doesn't depend on the existence of man at all.
They don't understand science, so they believe in pseudoscience, catastrophic man made global warming. If they understood the complexity and chaos of nature, they'd be skeptics too.
If CO2 isn't the earth's main thermostat, then you have to explain EXACTLY where & why Richard Alley is wrong. He has reams of scientific data backing him up, you have nothing but right wing fantasy & the orders of your oil-money-encrusted masters.

Just for you, here's the link again:

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/lectures/lec...

Come on, don't be shy. Enlighten us. Where & why, exactly, is Alley wrong?
litesong

Everett, WA

#31705 Mar 25, 2013
"I'M GLAD"(???)... Enjoying the suffering of fellow human beings?
I told you why temps are cold in your locale. You desire to deny science telling you the same thing, that AGW will cause extremes of Earth conditions, while the atmosphere, waters & lands gather more AGW energy. Instead of embracing AGW science, you wish to kill messengers & kick against certain religious groups which sometimes believe as you do. You know that dirtling was an atheist, too.
litesong

Everett, WA

#31706 Mar 25, 2013
fetid feces face flip flopper fiend wrote:
"fetid feces face flip flopper fiend" is a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener, as well as NOT having science & mathematics in its poorly earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. "fetid feces face flip flopper fiend" has never attempted math calculations.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#31707 Mar 25, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
If CO2 isn't the earth's main thermostat, then you have to explain EXACTLY where & why Richard Alley is wrong. He has reams of scientific data backing him up, you have nothing but right wing fantasy & the orders of your oil-money-encrusted masters. Just for you, here's the link again:[URL deleted] Come on, don't be shy. Enlighten us. Where & why, exactly, is Alley wrong?
A thermostat is an artificial device; HSL means a feedback system when he writes "thermostat". He has as little understanding of science as he has of technology.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#31708 Mar 25, 2013
Katy B wrote:
Be You Be Sure's latest article, "A Super Long & Essential Millennial Guide to Climate Change | Our Ship is Melting," explores varying perspectives and focuses on global warming and the hesitation to implement sustainable solutions as a result of economic dependency on fossil fuels...[URL deleted]
Fossil fuels have been tried and tested; that's why people love to use them. There's never been a trial or test of climate change mitigation, that's why nobody wants it.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#31709 Mar 25, 2013
Minnesota has finally emerged from subzero temps by the second day of spring.
Wat can a concerned person do to speed this warming process up? Clearly, CO2 is not up to the task!
Get this... Both MN and NM were in the single digits this spring.
Yes, that's great. We're happy for you and won't mention the beautiful weather we have here most of the year.

But what's the 100-year context of this alleged Spring?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#31710 Mar 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>A thermostat is an artificial device; HSL means a feedback system when he writes "thermostat". He has as little understanding of science as he has of technology.
Yeah, sure, "Brain(NOT)_G" - that's why I have a doctorate level degree (in a different scientific field) with extra training.

The challenge remains: WHERE IS ALLEY WRONG?

CO2 is the planet's main thermostat. I'm sorry that the truth upsets you, that it conflicts with your political bias, but that's too bad. Scientific facts are true no matter how much you rant otherwise.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#31711 Mar 25, 2013
<quoted text>
"I'M GLAD"(???)... Enjoying the suffering of fellow human beings? Research may show that other AGW Alarmists also receive pleasure from the discomfort of others... Does "Matt" ring a bell to all you AGW perverts?
Are the scientists whom you bestow your faith upon equally perverted?
Oh, wait, I do recall Phil Jones writing to Dr. Mann that he wished AGW would hurt people so that they would see he was right about how terrible AGW will be.
I went with a girl like that one time.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#31712 Mar 26, 2013
Yeah, sure, "Brain(NOT)_G" - that's why I have a doctorate level degree (in a different scientific field) with extra training.
I'm betting HSL's degree is in the social sciences.

The challenge remains: WHERE IS ALLEY WRONG? CO2 is the planet's main thermostat. I'm sorry that the truth upsets you, that it conflicts with your political bias, but that's too bad. Scientific facts are true no matter how much you rant otherwise.
Alley is wrong advocating climate change mitigation when he's unable to point to a compelling experimental test of climate change mitigation. Seatbelts mitigate auto accident injuries; they'be been tried and tested. There's never been a test on any man made greenhouse gas that shows an effect on climate.

"the green troll"

#31713 Mar 26, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I'm betting HSL's degree is in the social sciences.
<quoted text>Alley is wrong advocating climate change mitigation when he's unable to point to a compelling experimental test of climate change mitigation. Seatbelts mitigate auto accident injuries; they'be been tried and tested. There's never been a test on any man made greenhouse gas that shows an effect on climate.
Richard Alley on the science of sea level rise and mitigation:

http://www.google.co.uk/url...
PHD

Overton, TX

#31714 Mar 26, 2013
My apologies,

Since: Mar 09

Parsons, KS

#31715 Mar 26, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Fossil fuels have been tried and tested; that's why people love to use them. There's never been a trial or test of climate change mitigation, that's why nobody wants it.
And it has been found that burning fossil fuels produces CO2 that is accumulating in the atmosphere. It is known that CO2 is a GHG and is causing global warming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Dr Guru 197,210
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Yeah 1,278,996
News Judge jails Kentucky clerk for refusing marriag... 11 min Terra Firma 282
News 4 GOP candidates sign anti-gay marriage pledge 15 min NoahLikesPi 398
News Jeb Bush's new stance on Trump: Bring it on 20 min YouDidntBuildThat 22
News Trump would deport children of illegal immigrants 1 hr Injudgement 510
News Could Planned Parenthood funding fight sink the... 1 hr Black Annie 13
More from around the web