Details of tentative deal that would ...

Details of tentative deal that would avert fiscal crisis

There are 115 comments on the Fox News story from Dec 31, 2012, titled Details of tentative deal that would avert fiscal crisis. In it, Fox News reports that:

Highlights of a tentative agreement Monday between the White House and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., aimed at averting wide tax increases and budget cuts scheduled to take effect in the new year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#65 Jan 2, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
OMG, the House passed the bill making permanent the Bush tax cuts for anyone making under $400,000., and extending the unemployment scam to 2 years. Get ready for tax increases to pay for the Christmas tax increases. Obama must be so happy.
John W. Schoen , NBC News

Taxes are rising, but it could have been more painful.

This is the MSM's way to soften the blow that you were lied to again, when Obama said only the top two percents taxes would go up.

Everyone from 20,000 per year up gets a tax increase. SUPRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#67 Jan 2, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
But, not so much you make yourself a target for everyone who didn't stock up. Just enough to protect yourself and get by.
What these clowns don't understand is, when everything goes to hell, it will go to hell for them, too. Canned goods with meat, vegetables and sugar.
Unless you burn a lot of rounds every week/month at a range, there's no reason to have more than a couple of hundred rounds for each piece. The people stockpilinig thousands of rounds will become targets of each other.
Why would you let anyone know you're stockpiling? I have thousands of rounds of ammo, a decade of freezedried food & dry foods, wind & solar & geothermal power generation, and my neighbors are none the wiser.

Tawas City, Michigan

#68 Jan 2, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be missing some logic and facts. I don't recall 5 or 10 trillion dollars being the threshold I calculated. Perhaps you can refresh my memory.
I will tell you that I calculate about 23 trillion being the limit when there won't be any country in the world stupid enough to loan us any more money.
How soon do you think it will be when we reach that number?
So your arbitrary number is $23 trillion; for others it was $5 trillon or $10 trillion or $15 trillion.

The point being your number is no more likely to be any more significant than $22 trillion or $24 trillion.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#69 Jan 2, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
A government shut down seems to be the only thing that gets the attention of people inside the beltway. Somehow, we have to get their attention before they ignorantly stumble off a cliff of domestic stability. In other words, the threshold that exists of the percentage of the population that has faith in government's overall benevolent intent that defines social order isn't exceeded. Obviously, the government is disconnected with the American population. The degree of that disconnection may not be known until social disorder erupts.
I think every dollar we borrow brings us that much closer to the inescapable reality of government collapse, assuming we continue on the current path and money doesn't start growing on trees.
No more debt. Not for any reason. Make the government grow up and live within the means the economy can realistically be expected to afford.
When any agency or department expends all funds appropriated to it, shut it down until funds are again available to appropriate for it.
This will get the government's attention. I believe nothing short of this will. We devastated Congress in the mid-term elections of 2010, and a mere 2 years later we are still on the same suicidal path.
Shut the government down.
No more debt. Not for any reason.
I'd say giving Congress a raise for being the worst sitting Government in the last century is a pretty good indicator we're well on our way to that collapse.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#70 Jan 2, 2013
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say giving Congress a raise for being the worst sitting Government in the last century is a pretty good indicator we're well on our way to that collapse.
Republican Congress.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Conroe, TX

#71 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you let anyone know you're stockpiling? I have thousands of rounds of ammo, a decade of freezedried food & dry foods, wind & solar & geothermal power generation, and my neighbors are none the wiser.
They know anyway. And, the amount I have doesn't quite amount to "stockpiling". Every hunter keeps similar amounts. 5 to 10 boxes for each shotgun is normal. A couple of hundred rounds for each rifle or pistol is normal.
I've got a question. Why are you being an alarmist? I keep a normal amount of ammunition on hand, and you force yourself to use the term "stockpiling".
You wouldn't be promoting some sort of propaganda, would you?

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#72 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So your arbitrary number is $23 trillion; for others it was $5 trillon or $10 trillion or $15 trillion.
The point being your number is no more likely to be any more significant than $22 trillion or $24 trillion.
A "calculation" is not arbitrary. You need to work on your ability to read and comprehend the written English language.
And, perhaps you should get an education in economics so you can do something like think for yourself and make your own assessment... that is, if you have the time, considering how much time your indoctrination sessions take up.
Do something like assess the size of the economy, then take into account how much of that economy is government expense which is being counted by our idiotic government as an asset, then calculate the real size of the economy, then apply the normal banking principles about the ratio of net worth to max borrowing ability,
... then tell us what your calculation indicates the amount of money borrowed by the government will cause it to collapse.

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#73 Jan 3, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>John W. Schoen , NBC News
Taxes are rising, but it could have been more painful.
This is the MSM's way to soften the blow that you were lied to again, when Obama said only the top two percents taxes would go up.
Everyone from 20,000 per year up gets a tax increase. SUPRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE!
Look at your receipt from any store like Walmart.

You will see a new tax line item called "Medical excise tax".

That is one of the ObamaKare taxes.

Naturally, if you're one of the so-called "poor" here, there will be some exemption for you when you file income tax.

More Marxist equal outcome bullshit.

Tawas City, Michigan

#74 Jan 3, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
They know anyway. And, the amount I have doesn't quite amount to "stockpiling". Every hunter keeps similar amounts. 5 to 10 boxes for each shotgun is normal. A couple of hundred rounds for each rifle or pistol is normal.
I've got a question. Why are you being an alarmist? I keep a normal amount of ammunition on hand, and you force yourself to use the term "stockpiling".
You wouldn't be promoting some sort of propaganda, would you?
Alarmist? You're the one who is claiming our govt is on the verge of imminent collapse. You don't think that's a bit "alarmist"? You don't think that will lead to just a bit of social unrest??

What you view as being "alarmist", I consider being prepared. There are so many scenarios (economic collapse, natural disasters, infrastructure, war, terrorist attacks, etc) which could lead to a disruption of normal supplies and lead to social unrest.

I've always kept emergency supplies to survive for at least a week in my vehicle everywhere I go. I guess that's just in my nature, having grown up in rural Minnesota where being stranded by the weather in the middle of nowhere was always a possibility, especially in the winter. Even in the comfort of your own home, it wasn't unsual to be without power or communication for weeks after blizzards.

Everything I "stockpile" has everyday use and is rotated to ensure it doesn't go to waste. I also take pride in being self-sufficient in supplying my own food, water, & power. It also conserves our limited natural resources.

So while I don't buy into your "imminent collapse" theory because of the current fiscal problems of our nation, I am smart enough to be prepared just in case.

Tawas City, Michigan

#75 Jan 3, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
A "calculation" is not arbitrary. You need to work on your ability to read and comprehend the written English language.
And, perhaps you should get an education in economics so you can do something like think for yourself and make your own assessment... that is, if you have the time, considering how much time your indoctrination sessions take up.
Do something like assess the size of the economy, then take into account how much of that economy is government expense which is being counted by our idiotic government as an asset, then calculate the real size of the economy, then apply the normal banking principles about the ratio of net worth to max borrowing ability,
... then tell us what your calculation indicates the amount of money borrowed by the government will cause it to collapse.
Yes, your calculations are just as arbitrary as me picking a number out of the blue. If economist could calculate at what point an economy would collapse due to debt, then no country's economy would ever collapse because they'd do whatever was necessary to keep their debt just below that number.

So while you may feel you calculations are justified, there are just as many others who feel THEIR particular calculations are right. There are simply too many variable to make an accurate prediction of a specific level of debt which will cause an economy to collapse, which is why it always comes as a suprise when it happens. Monday morning quarterbacking is always easy; Saturday morning not so much.

We all know our debt & spending is unsustainable, but we just don't know exactly when it reaches that point.

But if you insist on a number- I like $50 Trillion.....

Tawas City, Michigan

#76 Jan 3, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at your receipt from any store like Walmart.
You will see a new tax line item called "Medical excise tax".
That is one of the ObamaKare taxes.
Naturally, if you're one of the so-called "poor" here, there will be some exemption for you when you file income tax.
More Marxist equal outcome bullshit.
Really? I just got back from Walmart, and the only tax on my receipt was the normal 6% sales tax for Michigan.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#77 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Alarmist? You're the one who is claiming our govt is on the verge of imminent collapse. You don't think that's a bit "alarmist"? You don't think that will lead to just a bit of social unrest??
What you view as being "alarmist", I consider being prepared. There are so many scenarios (economic collapse, natural disasters, infrastructure, war, terrorist attacks, etc) which could lead to a disruption of normal supplies and lead to social unrest.
I've always kept emergency supplies to survive for at least a week in my vehicle everywhere I go. I guess that's just in my nature, having grown up in rural Minnesota where being stranded by the weather in the middle of nowhere was always a possibility, especially in the winter. Even in the comfort of your own home, it wasn't unsual to be without power or communication for weeks after blizzards.
Everything I "stockpile" has everyday use and is rotated to ensure it doesn't go to waste. I also take pride in being self-sufficient in supplying my own food, water, & power. It also conserves our limited natural resources.
So while I don't buy into your "imminent collapse" theory because of the current fiscal problems of our nation, I am smart enough to be prepared just in case.
"Imminent"?
You need to work on your ability to read and comprehend the written English language.
23 trillion dollars was the threshold I calculated.
To apply a timeline, you have to have an estimate as to when the total debt will reach that threshold... idiot.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#78 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I just got back from Walmart, and the only tax on my receipt was the normal 6% sales tax for Michigan.
I purchased a product for 23.99 and another product for 79.99.
The Total reads:

Subtotal 103.98
Tax 10.97 (Texas has 6.25% state sales tax, I'm not sure what the local sales tax was there)
Total 114.95

Then below this there is:

General sales and use 8.58
Medical excise tax 2.39

8.58 plus 2.39 equals 10.97, which is the total printed on the Tax line.
This store is just informing the customers of how the tax is broken down.

The "Medical excise tax" is the Obama tax for ObamaKare.

So, please tell us how Obama will prevent his base from paying this tax....

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#79 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
This receipt was from Cabela's

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#80 Jan 3, 2013
Photo of the receipt is now displayed.

Tawas City, Michigan

#81 Jan 3, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
"Imminent"?
You need to work on your ability to read and comprehend the written English language.
23 trillion dollars was the threshold I calculated.
To apply a timeline, you have to have an estimate as to when the total debt will reach that threshold... idiot.
Not that difficult considering our recent expansion of the debt and no sign the govt is going to reduce the expansion any time soon.

The debt has been increasing by about $1.5 trillion every year. Our current debt is about $16.5 trillion. That means unless there are significant cuts in spending and significant increases in revenue (both unlikely), we'll reach your $23 trillion mark in about 5 years; by the end of the decade for sure.

I'd say that's pretty imminent by any measure.

Tawas City, Michigan

#82 Jan 3, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
I purchased a product for 23.99 and another product for 79.99.
The Total reads:
Subtotal 103.98
Tax 10.97 (Texas has 6.25% state sales tax, I'm not sure what the local sales tax was there)
Total 114.95
Then below this there is:
General sales and use 8.58
Medical excise tax 2.39
8.58 plus 2.39 equals 10.97, which is the total printed on the Tax line.
This store is just informing the customers of how the tax is broken down.
The "Medical excise tax" is the Obama tax for ObamaKare.
So, please tell us how Obama will prevent his base from paying this tax....
You need to go back to Cabelas because you got screwed. The medical excise tax is ONLY to be charged on certain medical devices purchased through hospitals, doctors, or other medical supplies.

NOTHING at Cabelas qualifies as a medical device for tax purposes.

So don't blame Obama, blame your local greedy Cabelas playing on the fears of the ignorant and charging a tax they know they're not supposed to be charging.
Brad

Manchester, CT

#83 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go back to Cabelas because you got screwed. The medical excise tax is ONLY to be charged on certain medical devices purchased through hospitals, doctors, or other medical supplies.
So don't blame Obama, blame your local greedy Cabelas playing on the fears of the ignorant and charging a tax they know they're not supposed to be charging.
This new tax is still very unclear in a lot of areas how and on what exactly it will be levyed,but,will cover a huge range of medical devices also used by veterinarians,dentists etc and will apply to stuff like snore guards and sleep apnea devices.
You'll see this tax applied to products sold in drug stores,supermarkets,and,yes,ev en cabelas.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#84 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Not that difficult considering our recent expansion of the debt and no sign the govt is going to reduce the expansion any time soon.
The debt has been increasing by about $1.5 trillion every year. Our current debt is about $16.5 trillion. That means unless there are significant cuts in spending and significant increases in revenue (both unlikely), we'll reach your $23 trillion mark in about 5 years; by the end of the decade for sure.
I'd say that's pretty imminent by any measure.
I can't argue with anything you say in that post.
I'm thinking about 5 years or so, too. A lot quicker than the lying clowns in Washington are saying.

it's funny, though, one of the brilliant things Stalin discovered was, if you're going to control people, they rezct best to a plan involving 5 years. He made that the basis for his plans, and since just about every government and business has done the same.
People are controlled best with 5-year plans.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#85 Jan 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the law states "any other medical device determined by the Secretary as generally purchased by the general public at retail for individual use."
So, it appears the Secretary, at his whim, can define "medical" any way he chooses. Looking at the latitude of definitions appliled by the Democrats, to include the present administration, this doesn't appear to violate any law. The sole judge of the applicablity is "the Secretary".
Since this retail outlet is charging this tax nation-wide, I'd like to hear his explanation of why his authority is being used to justify this tax.
I don't hear him....

... now, what's wrong with that picture?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In ME, Trump strikes back at US Chamber on trade 6 min Responsibility 26
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min Dr Guru 217,067
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 41 min Genuine Waxman 1,396,357
News Biden says Sanders will endorse Clinton 5 hr Nu Wor Order 1
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 hr who cares 13,169
News Criminal Aliens Are Being Released in US Becaus... 6 hr serfs up 11
News Senators urge Kerry to address political crisis... 6 hr USA Today 2
More from around the web