Colorado Shooting Rekindles Gun Contr...

Colorado Shooting Rekindles Gun Control Debate

There are 5105 comments on the Roll Call story from Jul 22, 2012, titled Colorado Shooting Rekindles Gun Control Debate. In it, Roll Call reports that:

Sen. Dianne Feinstein called for increased gun control in the wake of last week's Colorado shooting, saying it may have helped prevent the tragic incident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Roll Call.

Dan

Sacramento, CA

#3777 Sep 22, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> HiPoint = get what you pay for. Ruger .22 I have never had one that I couldn't hit with..25 Can't hit and if you did it would just piss them off. 1911 = expensive but if you want to hit with it even more expensive. Home defense, easy use, low maintenance, good accuracy Taurus, Ruger or S&W medium to large frame revolver in .357. Drop the few extra dollars and get the stainless.
Thanks...I was thinking revolver too.

Probably the Taurus given it seemed to be the less expensive. I'll probably not opt for the stainless but they're nice.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#3778 Sep 22, 2012
Revolvers are a good option for carry, have been for a long time. Less moving parts and baring faulty ammo, should shoot on demand.

Since: Aug 12

Waverly, TN

#3780 Sep 22, 2012
just another guy wrote:
<quoted text>If money is tight and you are planning on only having it at home, rather than the Hipoint, I would find a used 12 gauge pump. Those with a fixed choke usually go pretty cheap. It would also work should you get the urge to go hunting. Bird shot for pheasant, rabbit. Slugs for deer. I had a Rem 870 I got for $175.
Plus the sound will scare most away Chiiclick

Waverly, TN

#3781 Sep 22, 2012
I'm tore between fmj and hollow points for my CC it's just a 380 so I get fmj incase the people shooting at me have real thick uniforms and armor
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#3782 Sep 22, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks...I was thinking revolver too.
Probably the Taurus given it seemed to be the less expensive. I'll probably not opt for the stainless but they're nice.
You can shoot the cheaper 38 specials (low recoil low noise) for practice but the full power .357 rivals the 1911 and much more accurate plus low risk of a jam like an auto. Drop the extra $50 bucks for the stainless you will not regret it. 4 inch or better barrel and you have a do all gun. Shot shells for snake or small varmint,.38 for practice or light game,.357 for self defense or up to deer size game. I have a Taurus 608 8 shot cylinder 8 inch barrel, built in compensator, rubber grips, fully adjustable sights and only have $350 in it, only wish it came in stainless.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#3783 Sep 22, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
<quoted text>
No other sound like it. And gets the point across without having to say a word.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#3784 Sep 22, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
No other sound like it. And gets the point across without having to say a word.
Can't go wrong with a pump gun.
Dan

Sacramento, CA

#3785 Sep 22, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
<quoted text>
I always love the action movies in which they must run a round in the chamber of a 12 gauge every other minute only to have no shells ejected.

I had 2 shotguns some time ago but sold them once I found out their age and that they were made for lead shot and not steel given I was damaging the barrels by shooting the steel shot.

Hell...now I'm twisted. Do I get as pistol or a shotgun.

I've got the money but squeak when shelling it out on guns. Some of the ones I was looking at ran into the $1200 and up range. Geeeeezus.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#3786 Sep 22, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
I'm tore between fmj and hollow points for my CC it's just a 380 so I get fmj incase the people shooting at me have real thick uniforms and armor
With a .380 bullet type will not matter against either, but you might piss them off.

Southeast Virginia

#3787 Sep 22, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> You can shoot the cheaper 38 specials (low recoil low noise) for practice but the full power .357 rivals the 1911 and much more accurate plus low risk of a jam like an auto. Drop the extra $50 bucks for the stainless you will not regret it. 4 inch or better barrel and you have a do all gun. Shot shells for snake or small varmint,.38 for practice or light game,.357 for self defense or up to deer size game. I have a Taurus 608 8 shot cylinder 8 inch barrel, built in compensator, rubber grips, fully adjustable sights and only have $350 in it, only wish it came in stainless.
Revolvers have their issues also. I had a 4" S&W Model 66-2 (beautiful gun) that was real finicky about which .357mag ammo it would cycle..38s and .38+P's were no problem, but on .357's, after about 4 shots the cylinder would not advance to the next round. What was happening was the unfired bullets in the cylinder would start to come uncrimped from their casings causing them to lengthen just enough to stick out the front of the cylinder preventing it from rotating. I called S&W about this and the rep said that it is a common problem with the air-weight and scandium framed (small frame) revolvers and usually with lead round nose ammo because of a weak crimp between the bullet and casing. I was having the problem with several different brands of semi-jacketed hollow points. GRRRRR!

I ended up trading the 66-2 for a Ruger SR9C, which was a good trade considering what I paid for the S&W. And I love the SR9C. It is the most accurate 9mm semi-auto I have ever fired.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#3788 Sep 22, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I always love the action movies in which they must run a round in the chamber of a 12 gauge every other minute only to have no shells ejected.
I had 2 shotguns some time ago but sold them once I found out their age and that they were made for lead shot and not steel given I was damaging the barrels by shooting the steel shot.
I've got the money but squeak when shelling it out on guns. Some of the ones I was looking at ran into the $1200 and up range. Geeeeezus.
$1200 for a good 1911 another $1200 to get it to shoot straight. A shot gun will never fit in your glove box. A handgun does not have that piss your pants sound. Aw hell get both.

Southeast Virginia

#3789 Sep 22, 2012
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. Tried and true for decades and you can get either one brand new for around $350-400. And they make all kinds of goodies to customize either one with. I have the 500 two-barreled combo. It came with a 28" vent-ribbed shot barrel with all three chokes, and a 24" rifled slug barrel with a scope. I got it about 3 years ago on sale for less than $300 at Dick's Sporting Goods. One of the best deals I ever got on a firearm.

Southeast Virginia

#3790 Sep 22, 2012
Gods shoeshine wrote:
Hollow points in the summer and FMJ in the winter.
Dan

Sacramento, CA

#3791 Sep 22, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> $1200 for a good 1911 another $1200 to get it to shoot straight. A shot gun will never fit in your glove box. A handgun does not have that piss your pants sound. Aw hell get both.
LOL!!
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#3792 Sep 22, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Revolvers have their issues also. I had a 4" S&W Model 66-2 (beautiful gun) that was real finicky about which .357mag ammo it would cycle..38s and .38+P's were no problem, but on .357's, after about 4 shots the cylinder would not advance to the next round. What was happening was the unfired bullets in the cylinder would start to come uncrimped from their casings causing them to lengthen just enough to stick out the front of the cylinder preventing it from rotating. I called S&W about this and the rep said that it is a common problem with the air-weight and scandium framed (small frame) revolvers and usually with lead round nose ammo because of a weak crimp between the bullet and casing. I was having the problem with several different brands of semi-jacketed hollow points. GRRRRR!
I ended up trading the 66-2 for a Ruger SR9C, which was a good trade considering what I paid for the S&W. And I love the SR9C. It is the most accurate 9mm semi-auto I have ever fired.
Bullet creep is an ammo problem not a gun problem, get a better grade ammo. I have a Taurus ultralight I carry "some" .357 will rattle you but I also hand load so crimp is never a problem. I"ve never had a bad Ruger. They piss me off as I don't get to make any money fixing them. The only Ruger parts you can sell is for the 10 22 rifle and then it's just for looks not function. I like Smith but Taurus makes the same gun for less. Once again you can't make much money on them. The best 9 I'm afraid I've had is a Berreta but you need to change the locking block about 20,000 or 30,000 rounds hee hee hee. But I can wipe a flies nose at 50 yards. Sig makes a great 9 but at twice the price.

Waverly, TN

#3793 Sep 22, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>You can shoot the cheaper 38 specials (low recoil low noise) for practice but the full power .357 rivals the 1911 and much more accurate plus low risk of a jam like an auto. Drop the extra $50 bucks for the stainless you will not regret it. 4 inch or better barrel and you have a do all gun. Shot shells for snake or small varmint,.38 for practice or light game,.357 for self defense or up to deer size game. I have a Taurus 608 8 shot cylinder 8 inch barrel, built in compensator, rubber grips, fully adjustable sights and only have $350 in it, only wish it came in stainless.
did Taurus pay for u a NRA membership they were doing that

Waverly, TN

#3794 Sep 22, 2012
But will the little .380 auto do much with hollow points since the powder is so weak

Waverly, TN

#3795 Sep 22, 2012
I like my kel tech it's the lightest smallest .380 around but the molding of the body is bad craftsmanship and need filing where the two halts meet and does not have a safety
Dan

Sacramento, CA

#3796 Sep 22, 2012
Gotta go - thanks for the tips on the guns. I actually wrote them down.

Tossup between a revolver and a shotgun. We'll see - have a good weekend -

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3797 Sep 22, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> It is always advisable to have a few "toys" when you visit Atlanta.
Ah, your toys come with double D cells, three per.

Legal in Georgia now, I understand.

You should send SCOTUS a thank you note.

When you drop them, do they never go off?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,480,614
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 3 min Big C 23,965
News Democrats blast Trump's pick for Education Secr... 5 min Democrat Hero 13
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 5 min President Donald ... 4,487
News DeVos pledges not to undo public education, pus... 6 min slick willie expl... 19
News Donald Trump may have just destroyed the Republ... 13 min Le Jimbo 33
News McCain on Russia sanctions: 'We cannot reward m... 13 min tomin cali 3
More from around the web