McConnell to give Murray commencement speech
Murray State University says Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell will give the keynote address at its spring commencement next month.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHAS11.
#1 Apr 18, 2013
#2 Apr 18, 2013
I’ve been a conservative all my life. In my opinion this is just another lame attempt by the Senator coupled with the help of some Local Yokel powers to be to get more face time prior to his campaign. Mitch you did some really good work for Kentucky and the United States but you need to go. You’ve been in Washington too long, its time for some fresh ideas. You know; how the founders wanted it!!!!!!!!!!
#3 Apr 18, 2013
#4 Apr 18, 2013
mitch is outdated please get rid of him ky voters hes a waste
#5 Apr 18, 2013
Mitch is a work horse. Rand Paul is a show horse.
#6 Apr 18, 2013
I have always voted for him, but he has lost his mind. I will vote against each one I can until they vote for term limits. When was the last time you heard him say" Kentucky" on TV?
#7 Apr 18, 2013
He is the republican leader in the senate. No KY candidate would have that much influence if elected.
#8 Apr 19, 2013
Again, outdated, needs to go. We need fresh ideas not "cold war" era thinking!
#9 Apr 19, 2013
Who would you want to see run?
#10 Apr 19, 2013
I’m not sure who would be a good candidate as of yet. However; we must have representatives of the people discussing the people business not the “special interests business.” We must and should have term limits for these people both House and Senate. Regardless how well meant they mean to be it’s just a matter of time before they are in the back pockets of someone or some corporation. Term limits are the only answer that will ensure they remain loyal to us the taxpayer.
#11 Apr 19, 2013
What we need is 100% publicly financed election. Even a newcomer can't raise the money to be competitive without corporate and special interest backing. Term limits will just mean a new puppet every couple terms.
#12 Apr 19, 2013
#13 Apr 19, 2013
Mitch McConnell Voting Record on Education
HR 1 - No
• Increases the Hope Scholarship credit by making up to $2,000 of education expenses deductible, plus 25% of such expenses that exceed $2,000 but not $4,000 dollars (Div. B, Sec. 1004).
• Grants qualified school construction bonds for up to $11 billion in 2009 and $11 billion in 2010 (Div. B, Sec. 1521).
• Appropriates $13 billion for education of the disadvantaged,$12.2 billion for special education, and $15.84 billion for student financial assistance, including Pell Grants (Div. A, Title VIII).
HR 2669 - No
• Appropriates $33.60 billion to gradually increase Pell Grant amounts to $5,400 by 2012 and maintains funding through 2017 (Sec. 102).
• Incrementally lowers the current 6.8 percent interest rate for Federal Subsidized Student Loans and Federal Direct Stafford Loans every year until the rate is set at 3.4 percent for loans disbursed after July 1, 2011, and before July 1, 2012 (Sec. 201).
• Establishes an auction for each state to determine the lenders who will provide Federal PLUS Loans to colleges and universities in the state, to be held every two years in order to determine the two lenders with the lowest bids for special allowance payments (Sec. 701).
• Appropriates $57.00 million a year through 2011 for Upward Bound programs that did not receive funding in 2007 but have been given a grant score over 70 (Sec. 103).
• Creates $4,000 a year TEACH Grants to encourage teachers to take courses in mathematics, sciences, foreign languages, bilingual education, special education, reading, and other high-need fields and requires teachers to teach the subject they took courses in for at least four years (Sec. 104).
• Allows members of the military services to defer loan payments for up to 180 days after demobilization for Federal Family Education Loans, Stafford Loans, and Perkins Loans (Sec. 202).
• Allows loan forgiveness for employees who have made 120 monthly payments on student loans while employed in public service (Sec. 401).
• Raises the income protection allowance through 2013 to $6,000 for dependent students,$9,330 for single independent students without dependents or married independent students without dependents who are both enrolled in college, and $14,960 for married independent students where one is enrolled in college. Adopts a table detailing allowances for independent students with dependents through 2013 (Sec. 601).
HR 1586 - No
• Appropriates $10 billion for the Education Jobs Fund to be allocated to states for the retention, rehiring, or hiring of elementary and secondary education employees (Sec. 101).
#14 Apr 19, 2013
His voting record indicates he consistently votes AGAINST funding for public education. McConnell is rated 20% by the NEA, indicating anti-public education votes.
He wants to privatize public education and favors voucher system which would ultimately limit access.
Voted NO on $52M for "21st century community learning centers".(Oct 2005)
Voted NO on $5B for grants to local educational agencies.(Oct 2005)
Voted NO on shifting $11B from corporate tax loopholes to education.(Mar 2005)
Voted NO on funding smaller classes instead of private tutors.(May 2001)
Voted NO on funding student testing instead of private tutors.(May 2001)
Voted NO on spending $448B of tax cut on education & debt reduction.(Apr 2001)
Voted NO on national education standards.(Feb 1994)(Didn't see Murray Ledger & Times 'reporting' any facts substantiated by McConnell's voting record.)
McConnell's more recent votes support predatory private lenders of student loans.
#15 Apr 19, 2013
Here's what Mitch McConnell has done for us over the past 30+ years:
He's anti-public education...
He voted AGAINST extending low interest rates for student loans.
He's anti-civil rights, He thinks it's okay to eavesdrop on Americans without a warrant, and he's an advocate of CIA's torture program,
He voted AGAINST prohibiting indefinite detention of American citizens; seems he thinks some American citizens don't deserve 'due process' and equal protections under the law as outlined in our US Constitution.
He voted AGAINST preserving rights for people with disabilities.
He voted AGAINST Violence Against Women Act.
He voted AGAINST Paycheck Fairness; seems he thinks women don't deserve to earn the same as men in the workplace doing the same job.
He thinks some people don't deserve the same protections and benefits under the law because of who they love!!
He's voted to secure the individual's right to burn the American flag but doesn't think women should have the individual right to make choices about their own reproductive health. "Freedom for me but not for thee." philosophy
He consistently votes AGAINST funding that keeps our children from being food insecure.
He' anti-American worker, thinks corporations should be rewarded for moving American jobs overseas.
He's pro-incarceration, against rehabilitation..wants to privatize prisons.
He's AGAINST comprehensive immigration reform, doesn't think Guest Workers should have a path to citizenship but votes to allow more foreign workers into the US for farm work.
He OPPOSES separation of church-state .. I thought this was one reason we broke from England??!?
He voted to deregulate the telecom industry and favors corporate media monopolies.
He OPPOSES progressive taxation; favors a 2-class system.
He voted AGAINST middle‑class tax cuts.
He wants to privatize Social Security.
He favors tort reform even though medical mistakes is one of the leading causes of death in this county just behind heart disease and cancer.
He voted AGAINST export of cheaper FDA‑approved drugs from Canada.
He voted with big pharma to delay life‑saving brand name drugs from going generic.
He OPPOSES negotiating bulk purchases for Medicare prescription drug program.
He consistently votes AGAINST labeling food that contains genetically modified organisms. Don't we have the right to know what's in our food particularly when recent studies have revealed GMO foods are causing health problems ?!?
His voting record actually demonstrates his opposition to energy independence,
He's AGAINST renewable energy and AGAINST energy conservation.
anti-public health, anti-seniors, anti-women, anti-minorities !!!
He voted AGAINST Disclose Act; thinks Democracy works better when campaign donors don't have to disclose limitless amounts of money they contribute to politicians like himself.
#16 Apr 19, 2013
McConnell FLIP-FLOPS on a GOP wedge issue, GUN CONTROL:
McConnell has supported several gun control measures put forth by Democrats back in the 1990's.. Crime Bill, national waiting period for handgun purchases, federal ban on semi-automatic firearms, Trigger Lock Amendment...BUT now,
shortly after the Newtown massacre....
Team Mitch got busy emailing gun-rights supporters telling them they were “literally surrounded” by those who want to take their guns away...AND
Team Mitch also launched a robo call campaign calling Kentucky voters warning "law-abiding Kentuckians" that "President Obama and his team are doing everything in their power to restrict your constitutional right to keep and bear arms."
McConnell continues to obstruct efforts in the Congress to expedite economic recovery unless there's an earmark in it for a lobbyist or campaign donor.
It's ironic that just weeks after threatening to force the U.S. Treasury to default on its debts, Congressional Republicans led by our own Senator Mitch McConnell endorses a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution. McConnell, railing about debt and deficits when he is the earmark King... sponsoring or co-sponsoring hundreds of millions of dollars each year in earmarks.. some of these millions he sponsors doesn't even go to KY..they go to NY, Utah, Alabama, TX !!!
Since: Feb 13
#17 Apr 19, 2013
McConnell is a member of the plutocracy and that's the way he likes it. He stays in office to represent the interests of his class.
#18 Apr 21, 2013
Do you have proof of this?
#19 Apr 21, 2013
[CHECK:MACHINE]Home. State of [REDACTED] DESIGNATEDBEING is home. SYNTAXERROR:REQUEST. [SUBJECT:YOU] are home. Restart MAINFILE, Initiate [SEQUENCE:MACHINE]. The colors have [SUBJECT:YOU] listed as HOME. Modify existing REQUEST.
Since: Feb 13
#20 Apr 21, 2013
Sure. His voting record.
Add your comments below
|Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08)||2 min||Trims phu see hat||1,602,062|
|BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09)||10 min||loose cannon||242,620|
|Trump assures voters Strange is a stronger Sena...||28 min||Red Crosse||12|
|GOP at war with itself (Mar '16)||34 min||Tm Cln||4,082|
|The Latest: Trump targets North Korea in new ex...||35 min||See The Light||98|
|GOP health bill all but dead; McCain again deal...||40 min||Sandra||49|
|Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing||46 min||Mr Wiggley||31,208|
Find what you want!
Search US Senate Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC