Do You Believe In Evolution?

Do You Believe In Evolution?

There are 2655 comments on the Daily Kos story from May 8, 2007, titled Do You Believe In Evolution?. In it, Daily Kos reports that:

“President Bush's compassionate conservatism”

Sat May 05, 2007 at 05:16:04 AM PDT There are few areas of the culture wars that get rational people more upset than the idea that Intelligent Design is legitimate science . via Daily Kos

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Kos.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2177 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
haha, yes, i just checked, truth lives in VA. so im not the truth, says topix.
SO! who would believe me if i said i was like 14yrs old and a genius? ohh yeah!!! TEEBAG!
No to both.

You're not as MATURE as a 14yrold.

And you're CERTAINLY not a genius-- unless you've been HIDING your still-as-unyet-used mental capacities....

“Creation first, then evolution”

Since: Apr 07

San Francisco, CA

#2178 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
<quoted text>
BS..... you are not serious at all. evolution has no science period... just magic.. proof.... evolution did it... creationism is science. its not argument or debate.... do you have evidence of evolution?

Hey gang! Looks like you're not going to prove to an imbecile that he is an imbecile.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#2179 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
SO! who would believe me if i said i was like 14yrs old and a genius?
The 14 years old part is quite believable. The genius part I think is debatable.

All of your attempts at logic have been failures. Most of your logic is flawed, suffering from fallacies of one sort or another. That which is not flawed logic is based on false assumptions, leading to false conclusions.

In short, nothing you have presented as arguments hold any water. For one thing, you need to study logic in greater depth. And in particular, you need to reexamine your assumptions. Try learning what science really has to say. Whoever you have been listening to doesn't know much science.

“Rattling for Chemistry”

Deep Swamps of Georgia

#2180 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
<quoted text>
BS..... you are not serious at all. evolution has no science period... just magic.. proof.... evolution did it... creationism is science. its not argument or debate.... do you have evidence of evolution?
LOL! You just prove my point that you are not serious about learning anything except God did it! Poof! Creationism magic. Your name "anti evolution" is an indicator that you are not serious about the science of evolution but only a religious slant of ignorance.

BTW Tomk52 is correct in the fact that you are a rude punk. Anyway here are a few proof of the mountains full of scientific evidence for the science of evolution versus your creationism/ID with ZERO science.

Evidence of Evolution

http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm

The evolution evidence page

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoEvidence.html

Evidence for Evolution

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-res ...

Lines of evidence: The science of evolution

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti ...

What is the evidence for evolution?

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/sear ...

“It's like a bad dream ”

Since: May 07

Small Town, South Georgia

#2181 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, you are out of your league, your comments have been ripped to shreds many times. If you don't realize this you really are out of touch. The only evidence of creationism is false propaganda. Now, you have been given links to sites that show the real evidence of evolution. I suggest you run home now, I think your mamma's calling. Maybe when you get time after bible school, you check out some of these websites and try to understand why you are so wrong. Genius, Ha.
Bodacity

Friendsville, TN

#2182 Jun 17, 2007
tomk52 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey B,
This is actually an excellent question.
I read something about this exact issue a long time ago, and I don't remember the answer.
But, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I bet the following is not too far from the truth.(minutes I DON'T have to spare from my work, but what the heck... Now I can blame YOU for my lack of results today!! Yipeee!!)
I bet the answer is competition and sustainability.
Competition: Because of the large number of species in an ecosystem, all critters tend to be "niche" creatures. They find a specific niche to exploit, and then dominate it, holding on for dear life.
And who is their greatest competition? The critters that eat out of the same bowl that they do. So they kill off the competition - those that are most like themselves. If one plots just two resources on an XY axis (with the z axis being some measure of "success"), then the critters nearest to the ultimate winner are the most dangerous. Every species has the same motivation: wipe out the competition. This results in islands of successful creatures who protect their turf by murder.
Sustainability comes in when two species are competing for the same niche and it's a close battle. The only long term stable states are 1. they stop competing directly (slightly different dung balls, for example) or one kills the other.
BTW, the biggest competitor to any creature are members of its own species. As long as you are not directly related, murder is frequently the "solution". Infanticide in many species (primates, felines, bears, birds, etc.) is rampant.
After long periods of struggle, you end up with the situation you describe. The winners sitting alone on their little island of a sustainable niche, who have wiped out any less aggressive competitors, and defending that patch of ground because their lives depend on it.
Does this make sense?
tk
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. So from an evolutionary standpoint, I guess genocide is a good thing? I mean, if you want to be successful and pass on your genes, it seems like a great way to get rid of the competition.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#2183 Jun 17, 2007
Bodacity wrote:
I'd prefer a serious answer. Why did they pass away but the extant species didn't?
Bodacity wrote:
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. So from an evolutionary standpoint, I guess genocide is a good thing? I mean, if you want to be successful and pass on your genes, it seems like a great way to get rid of the competition.
I didn't give you a serious answer because the way you phrased your question lead me to believe that YOU weren't serious, but just fishing for an answer that would allow you to respond as you did in your last post.

Of course, I may have misread the situation and you were just trying to make a joke rather than exposing yourself as a dishonest slimeball.
PCD

New York, NY

#2184 Jun 17, 2007
Bodacity wrote:
<quoted text>
Moral judgments are superflous to an accurate description of the way things are. The way things *ought to be* makes no difference to an accurate description of what *is*. When you say "good thing", you are making a moral judgment, not a scientific judgment. Is it a "good thing" that predators eat prey? Like it or not, they do.

Interesting factoid. Testing of mitochondrial DNA in Central Asian males revealed the approximately 8% of them are descended from Genghis Khan's lineage. As far as alpha males go and progeny go, he was pretty successful. But no one would characterize him as a nice guy or condone what he did.
anti evolution

Cincinnati, OH

#2185 Jun 17, 2007
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!
HOW is creationism science, then?
Has creationism EVER produced new information?
Has creationism EVER accurately predicted the outcome of a scientific experiment?
Has creationism EVER assisted in the discovery of new fossils?
Answer: No to all of these.
On the gripping hand, the SCIENCE of evolution has done ALL of these things and more.
You can label it anyway you WANT, but the RESULTS are the proof.
Creationism = non-science [nonsense].
Evolution = science.
As for PROOF, try HERE first-- seeing as how you seem to be so completely ignorant on the subject.
http://www.talkorigins.org/
Lots and lots of SCIENTIFIC papers cited on that website. PROVING what I just said above.
Where is YOUR proof?[answer: there ain't any....]
wow, its still kinda lame that you rebuttle by giving me a web site... but im a big boy. so ill get over it. its actually kinda good! as far as ive seen anywayz. only checked it out for like 10mins. lol has it ever produced new information? depends on what you you define as information, maybe its taken some of that evolution stuff you guys talk about and is just trying to set a few things striaght. see, thats were you overlook a few things, i use the same science as you in my experiment. does creationism factor into me adding baking soda to my vinegar? no. new fossils? well, i dont exactly dive into finding out the stances of ppl who dig up the fossils so i wouldnt know. but there are creationist profs and the like out there. so why wouldnt there be creationist anything else?
anti evolution

Cincinnati, OH

#2186 Jun 17, 2007
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No to both.
You're not as MATURE as a 14yrold.
And you're CERTAINLY not a genius-- unless you've been HIDING your still-as-unyet-used mental capacities....
stop being so mean to me bob! lol im gonna flag you! you troll! YOU DIRTY TROLL!
anti evolution

Cincinnati, OH

#2187 Jun 17, 2007
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
The 14 years old part is quite believable. The genius part I think is debatable.
All of your attempts at logic have been failures. Most of your logic is flawed, suffering from fallacies of one sort or another. That which is not flawed logic is based on false assumptions, leading to false conclusions.
In short, nothing you have presented as arguments hold any water. For one thing, you need to study logic in greater depth. And in particular, you need to reexamine your assumptions. Try learning what science really has to say. Whoever you have been listening to doesn't know much science.
youre still the one that doesnt say anything about science other than "science says so" you gonna give me a website to go look at too like bob? lame. everything ive said makes perfect sense, your evolution is the logical fallacy. so. how about you tell me just what specifically is wrong in my arguements? im not getting anywhere with you. i can already see your rebuttle: "everything you say is false. evolution is science. i can make life from dirt and water. youre a jesus junkie. evolution and the scientists who say its true are infallable."
anti evolution

Cincinnati, OH

#2188 Jun 17, 2007
hexene wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! You just prove my point that you are not serious about learning anything except God did it! Poof! Creationism magic. Your name "anti evolution" is an indicator that you are not serious about the science of evolution but only a religious slant of ignorance.
BTW Tomk52 is correct in the fact that you are a rude punk. Anyway here are a few proof of the mountains full of scientific evidence for the science of evolution versus your creationism/ID with ZERO science.
Evidence of Evolution
http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm
The evolution evidence page
http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoEvidence.html
Evidence for Evolution
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-res ...
Lines of evidence: The science of evolution
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti ...
What is the evidence for evolution?
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/sear ...
yes yes. more sites... ill check them all. AHH!! RIGHT THERE! THERE IT IS! QUESTION IT, AND, BAM! EVOLUTIONIST SCREAMS RELIGION! it couldnt just be that evolution has logical fallacies in it. no... its that jesus said so. and if you have noticed, i haven't given much edge to creationist either. like ive BEEN saying, there in the same faith boat as you. and like i also mentioned, im not exactly creationist. it just wins by default b/c evolution is that messed up. how about you google some more web sites? maybe ill google some for you too if thats how lame you are about this.

“Rattling for Chemistry”

Deep Swamps of Georgia

#2189 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
<quoted text>
wow, its still kinda lame that you rebuttle by giving me a web site... but im a big boy. so ill get over it. its actually kinda good! as far as ive seen anywayz. only checked it out for like 10mins. lol has it ever produced new information? depends on what you you define as information, maybe its taken some of that evolution stuff you guys talk about and is just trying to set a few things striaght. see, thats were you overlook a few things, i use the same science as you in my experiment. does creationism factor into me adding baking soda to my vinegar? no. new fossils? well, i dont exactly dive into finding out the stances of ppl who dig up the fossils so i wouldnt know. but there are creationist profs and the like out there. so why wouldnt there be creationist anything else?
Blatant Ignorance. Sigh....pathetic.
anti evolution

Cincinnati, OH

#2190 Jun 17, 2007
Free Thinking American wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, you are out of your league, your comments have been ripped to shreds many times. If you don't realize this you really are out of touch. The only evidence of creationism is false propaganda. Now, you have been given links to sites that show the real evidence of evolution. I suggest you run home now, I think your mamma's calling. Maybe when you get time after bible school, you check out some of these websites and try to understand why you are so wrong. Genius, Ha.
yeah, i havent said anything in regards to false propaganda. yes yes, more sites with more links with more ppl with more sites and more links. blah blah blah. bring nothing but links to the table! ha! lame!

and at no point was any of my arguement ripped. the only thing i got in response to ANY of it was "science says so, and heres a lame link b/c im too lame to go look for a rebuttle myself other than science hates God and youre wrong" sooo... i guess if thats ripping logic to shreds, then... i think youre the one whos been cut to ribbons

NorCal

#2191 Jun 17, 2007
Bodacity wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that history has proven that when you make yourself a threat to many others they gang up on you to restore order.

How many children did Hitler have? How many less germans are there because of the huge numbers that died during the World Wars? Their genocidal actions challenged their survival and set them back decades.

Survival of the fittest is also adaptations like toolmaking and social partnerships that developed over time, not just what ate or killed off each other.

“blow it out your bagpipes”

Salford, Manchester UK

#2192 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
<quoted text>
yes yes. more sites... ill check them all. AHH!! RIGHT THERE! THERE IT IS! QUESTION IT, AND, BAM! EVOLUTIONIST SCREAMS RELIGION! it couldnt just be that evolution has logical fallacies in it. no... its that jesus said so. and if you have noticed, i haven't given much edge to creationist either. like ive BEEN saying, there in the same faith boat as you. and like i also mentioned, im not exactly creationist. it just wins by default b/c evolution is that messed up. how about you google some more web sites? maybe ill google some for you too if thats how lame you are about this.
To borrow your nautical analogy, the Theory of Evolution is like the seven seas in which science is an aircraft carrier and has confidently sent your rubber raft brand of theological fallacy to the depths of the Marianas Trench.

“It's like a bad dream ”

Since: May 07

Small Town, South Georgia

#2193 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, i havent said anything in regards to false propaganda. yes yes, more sites with more links with more ppl with more sites and more links. blah blah blah. bring nothing but links to the table! ha! lame!
and at no point was any of my arguement ripped. the only thing i got in response to ANY of it was "science says so, and heres a lame link b/c im too lame to go look for a rebuttle myself other than science hates God and youre wrong" sooo... i guess if thats ripping logic to shreds, then... i think youre the one whos been cut to ribbons
Ok, just go on and live in your little make believe world. Just stop trying to dumb us evolutionist down to your level.
anti evolution

Cincinnati, OH

#2194 Jun 17, 2007
so. just to clear the air some, what exactly is the ToE? what are the key components of evolution? what is the exact scientific theory of evolution? you guys like to google. isnt there some site that offers that?

“blow it out your bagpipes”

Salford, Manchester UK

#2195 Jun 17, 2007
anti evolution wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe instead of putting your fingers in your ears and babbling, "lalalalalala...," you could actually try to visit some of those links which have been provided. Who knows? you might even learn something. But, be careful, I wouldn't want your head to explode.

You are demonstrating an excellent example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiprocess
anti evolution

Cincinnati, OH

#2196 Jun 17, 2007
ok ok, so, im going to read ALL the crap you guys gave me. so, if i dont actually say anything for the next few days, dont hate me. im probably still reading or off having a life.

so, until then! play it safe and remember jesus loves you!:P

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Senate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min woodtick57 1,345,926
News Donald Trump and Ted Cruz participate in the Re... 4 min Your Ex 1
News The Latest: Sheriff says armed men want to spar... 7 min woodtick57 1,846
News The 'establishment' nonsense 10 min Le Jimbo 21
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min Jacques in Orleans 207,387
News Rubio endures an assault in a rollicking Republ... 17 min Le Jimbo 2
News Bernie Sanders and Larry David Team Up on Satur... 20 min Le Jimbo 3
More from around the web