A more accurate fear

A more accurate fear

There are 5 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Aug 26, 2010, titled A more accurate fear. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Right after the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, a dry cleaner's storefront was vandalized and set ablaze in Modesto, California.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

toadstool

Stowe, VT

#1 Aug 27, 2010
I'm from Northern Ireland and one day my 8 yr old son came in and said "Daddy is the Pope the head of the I.R.A.?" "Why of course he is, son. And I'll tell you why. He's a Catholic, right? The I.R.A. are all Catholic, right? He's head of the Catholic church, right? It stands to reason that he's head of the I.R.A. What are you, stupid?"
I didn't say that, but that is what these hysterical,'the sky is falling', columnists and talking heads in the media are doing every second of the day when they try and link the proposed Islamic Center near The World Trade Center with the 9/11 Al Quaeda terrorists. Maybe the planners could have found a more acceptable site, but to blame an entire religion for the actions of a few fanatics is really kind of ridiculous. Are all Protestants like Tim McVeigh? All Jews like Shylock? All golfers like Tiger?
Come on!
"Well THEY wouldn't let us put up a Church or Synagogue in Mecca, would they?" No, probably not. But that's them. Do you want to be like them?
I have friends from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and even, God forgive me, from England. There may be a Muslim among them, but I don't know and I don't care. I've never asked. This is America.
estanson

Windsor, VT

#2 Aug 27, 2010
toadstool wrote:
I'm from Northern Ireland and one day my 8 yr old son came in and said "Daddy is the Pope the head of the I.R.A.?" "Why of course he is, son. And I'll tell you why. He's a Catholic, right? The I.R.A. are all Catholic, right? He's head of the Catholic church, right? It stands to reason that he's head of the I.R.A. What are you, stupid?"
I didn't say that, but that is what these hysterical,'the sky is falling', columnists and talking heads in the media are doing every second of the day when they try and link the proposed Islamic Center near The World Trade Center with the 9/11 Al Quaeda terrorists. Maybe the planners could have found a more acceptable site, but to blame an entire religion for the actions of a few fanatics is really kind of ridiculous. Are all Protestants like Tim McVeigh? All Jews like Shylock? All golfers like Tiger?
Come on!
"Well THEY wouldn't let us put up a Church or Synagogue in Mecca, would they?" No, probably not. But that's them. Do you want to be like them?
I have friends from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and even, God forgive me, from England. There may be a Muslim among them, but I don't know and I don't care. I've never asked. This is America.
did the irish claim profiling when the brits investigated only the irish as suspected IRA members?
here we have to search 80 year old white women before they get on planes so that it wont look like we are profiling middle easterners...
thats America!
Joe

Modesto, CA

#3 Aug 27, 2010
Thats Almeria? that would mean things cant be changed & we just have to accept it. I cant do that & Americans should not!
I take offense to the comment about England! I was born in London & i hate the all the fighting that is going on I have some great Irish friends i am proud both of my English heritage & my friend from all over the world i detest the cowardly IRA but i know that that the great majority of Irish people are decent proud people who love there country. i do not judge a race by a few individualizes & I will not be judged by others!
estanson wrote:
<quoted text>
did the irish claim profiling when the brits investigated only the irish as suspected IRA members?
here we have to search 80 year old white women before they get on planes so that it wont look like we are profiling middle easterners...
thats America!
Bruce

Bennington, VT

#4 Aug 27, 2010
So because somw jerk or jerks did this bad deed that makes Americans all bad we are like all other peolpe we have good and we have bad. Sorry if were not all perfect like all liberals and progressives think they are. And i'm so tired of the accusations sucas the one you level agains AZ again about pandering to the anti-immigrant fervor. They are against the ILLIGAL IMMIGRANTS but of course you never mention that. America is a country made up of immigrants who came here legally but thats never enough for people like yourself. As far as the poll that 18%elieve Obama is a muslim. I personaly do not think that but people are entitled to their opinion until someone proves them wrong in there minds. I don't believe most polls but there was a poll I took here in Bennington and 50% no longer read your column, think it's a little bias. I notice you have critized AZ more then once, does that mean you are Arizonphobic?
estanson

Windsor, VT

#5 Aug 27, 2010
Joe wrote:
Thats Almeria? that would mean things cant be changed & we just have to accept it. I cant do that & Americans should not!
I take offense to the comment about England! I was born in London & i hate the all the fighting that is going on I have some great Irish friends i am proud both of my English heritage & my friend from all over the world i detest the cowardly IRA but i know that that the great majority of Irish people are decent proud people who love there country. i do not judge a race by a few individualizes & I will not be judged by others!
<quoted text>
my point was that the british realize the ira were irish...
but in america, we check everyone for political correctness rather than focus on middle easterners given the middle eastern threat.

as far as brits and irish...english v. protestant...they can all shag off...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walter Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cherokee, Lumbee argue over recognition bill (Apr '07) Oct '16 No Trump 990
News Congress OKs year-end budget deal, sends to Obama (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News A journalistic failure: How the Kevin McCarthy ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Responsibility 5
News House lawmaker files motion to oust Boehner (Jul '15) Jul '15 xxxrayted 4
News No Fast Track: 44 Republicans are voting NO or ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 wild child 1
News Korea veteran receives Purple Heart 64 years later (May '15) May '15 wRDEPT 1
News Republicans prepare to pass Homeland Security f... (Feb '15) Feb '15 John McCharlie 3
More from around the web