Shuler's backing for Iraq timeline in...

Shuler's backing for Iraq timeline invites GOP anger

There are 29 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 23, 2007, titled Shuler's backing for Iraq timeline invites GOP anger. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Two groups hoping to unseat Rep. Heath Shuler in 2008 blasted him Friday for backing a war-spending bill with provisions that would set timetables for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
L D MUNROE

Arden, NC

#1 Mar 24, 2007
IT SEEMS TO ME WE SHOULD BE PROUD THAT RPRESENTATIVE SHULER DID THE RIGHT THING FOR HIS COUNTRY. SHAME ON MEL WATTS FOR TAKING NO STAND. NO GUTS NO GLORY.
SHULER IS BRAVE SOMETIMES BRAVERY IS NOT TO TAK EUP ARMS. THANK YOU REPRESENTATIVE SHULER MAY MORE DEMS PULL ON THEIR BRAVERY CLOAK AND SHUN THE PRESSURE OF BIG BUSSINESS AND THE REPUBLICANS.
1911-govt

Charlotte, NC

#2 Mar 24, 2007
na-na na-na na-na.

Told you so.....this guy doesn't have the spine to stand up to the Pelosi/Murtha unPatriotic crowd.

We get the government we deserve. Too bad Taylor was such a shyster......at least we could count on resonable votes in congress.

Shuler might be more honest, but he certainly isn't patriotic or courageous.
coc nkoker

Newland, NC

#3 Mar 24, 2007
L D MUNROE wrote:
IT SEEMS TO ME WE SHOULD BE PROUD THAT RPRESENTATIVE SHULER DID THE RIGHT THING FOR HIS COUNTRY. SHAME ON MEL WATTS FOR TAKING NO STAND. NO GUTS NO GLORY.
SHULER IS BRAVE SOMETIMES BRAVERY IS NOT TO TAK EUP ARMS. THANK YOU REPRESENTATIVE SHULER MAY MORE DEMS PULL ON THEIR BRAVERY CLOAK AND SHUN THE PRESSURE OF BIG BUSSINESS AND THE REPUBLICANS.
I agree. How many dead Americans will it take to realize that we are in a disasterous war based on lies lies and more lies....As well as corporate profits. Chicken Hawk Dubya or Dumbya needs to get the message.
wnc resident for peace

Eddyville, KY

#4 Mar 24, 2007
Excellent vote Congressman! You have so many people behind you if you choose to run again. No worries, keep doing the right thing!

Peace.
Hannibal

Boiling Springs, SC

#5 Mar 24, 2007
LD MUNROE ... Here! Here!... Shuler's vote reflected what his constituants expected him to do! The war-lords of the Republicans and their cronies are angered because they could loose a lot of $$$ at the cost of the lives of many more young women and men in our military ... So much for 'compassionate conversatism'!
Hannibal

Boiling Springs, SC

#6 Mar 24, 2007
1911-govt na-na na-na na-na. Told you so.....this guy doesn't have the spine to stand up to the Pelosi/Murtha unPatriotic crowd. We get the government we deserve. Too bad Taylor was such a shyster......at least we could count on resonable votes in congress. Shuler might be more honest, but he certainly isn't patriotic or courageous.

Hey there 1911-govt ... Yep, we sure have gotten the government we DID NOT deserve through Dubya's years ... Hopefully someday you can open your eyes and realize that many, many young American women and men did not have to die due to Dubya and his cronies' greediness for the $$$.
Deborah Godfrey Lytle

Greer, SC

#7 Mar 24, 2007
Rep. Heath Shuler did exactly the right thing. He expressed the sentiment of the people.

Other democrats need to do what their citizenry elected them to do instead of allowing Bush & Co. to continue their destruction of the United States and Iraq - namely initiate proceedings for impeachment.

“Local Blogger Gets Involved”

Since: Dec 06

Republic of West Carolina

#8 Mar 24, 2007
This vote will not stand, as President Bush will Veto, and the ball will bounce back to the US House for the next move.
The nature of warfare has undergone a paradigm shift, where very small groups can hold tremendous war-making capability, and the ability to bring a nation to it's knees.
Right now, al-Qaeda is devoting much of it's resources to combating us in Iraq, and in our Media.
Imagine what would happen if we had 1,000 or more al-Qaeda terrorists operating in this country, placing IEDs in cars beside roadways to disrupt traffic patterns, delay delivery of goods to our stores? Imagine snipers doing the same to the drivers of commercial trucks. I predict these things, and more, should we pull out without a successful resolution.
Google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_generatio... [4GW], 5GW, William Lind, Dreaming 5GW, Global Guerrillas, and the http://www.tdaxp.com/archive/2005/07/18/go-de... [OODA Loop].
We are engaged in fighting an enemy who will stop at nothing to rule the world, no matter the cost, and are perfectly willing to kill anyone who stands in their way, even themselves or their very own children.
The surge is working, and if you don't take my word for it, you can read what Iraqi Bloggers are saying about it. The best one to start with is http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/2007/03/real... [Iraq The Model], by two Iraqis. They also link to other Iraqi Bloggers. The article I linked addresses the vote by the US House.
You need to consider that most Media Outlets are openly rooting for our failure in Iraq. I remember a time when that was Treason.
The truth is out there, but you have to be willing to look for, and not rely on people with their own agenda to give it to you. Go, read, and form your own conclusions.

Since: Feb 07

Asheville, NC

#9 Mar 24, 2007
“I was very proud to be able to vote on this. A no vote, I felt, did not support our troops and a new direction (on Iraq).”
Yes. That "new direction" is retreat.

Where will Shuler be when it comes time to take out Iran's WMD?

Since: Mar 07

United States

#10 Mar 24, 2007
You voters in WNC get what you vote for! Good job yall. This guy is no better than the moonbats from san fran nan to hillary herself. In lock step with jackboots on all the way! Imagine, over 400 little commander in chief's! The vote STILL means nothing and when these guys start running low on ammo in theatre, remember how much you "support our troops"!
1911-govt

Charlotte, NC

#11 Mar 24, 2007
Hannibal wrote:
1911-govt na-na na-na na-na. Told you so.....this guy doesn't have the spine to stand up to the Pelosi/Murtha unPatriotic crowd. We get the government we deserve. Too bad Taylor was such a shyster......at least we could count on resonable votes in congress. Shuler might be more honest, but he certainly isn't patriotic or courageous.
Hey there 1911-govt ... Yep, we sure have gotten the government we DID NOT deserve through Dubya's years ... Hopefully someday you can open your eyes and realize that many, many young American women and men did not have to die due to Dubya and his cronies' greediness for the $$$.
At least dubya is killing the Muslim enemy. The D's only want to appease. Unpatriotic, cowardly trash.
funny

Boiling Springs, SC

#12 Mar 24, 2007
So does pelosi have stings on this puppet or does she just stick her hand straight up his butt??
MtnValueWatch

Asheville, NC

#13 Mar 24, 2007
Shame on you Mr. Shuler and the rest of those who voted for this measure. You simply placed politics ahead of the lives of our soldiers. Any one that attached pork and other spending bills on something such as important as bill should resign, leave Washington and go home and hide -America does not need that kind of cowardness.
Sabo

Apex, NC

#14 Mar 24, 2007
Won't you people PULL-EASE stop giving Sabo a platform for spouting talking points for NC Party of Greed?

If there's one thing Shuler's shown in office so far, it's that he listens, does his homework, and votes his conscience.

The headline on this story sucks, by the way. Who cares what a bunch of Republicans think? Why didn't you ask some Dems?
Ooops

Apex, NC

#15 Mar 24, 2007
Didn't mean to imply that I was Sabo. I'm new to this commenting stuff and thought I was supposed to write a subject line.

A
George

Durham, NC

#16 Mar 24, 2007
Shuler did the correct thing & he has my vote.
Carl

Gaffney, SC

#17 Mar 24, 2007
Shuler stinks!
Melissa Brown

Maxton, NC

#18 Mar 24, 2007
Democrats for voting for the $124.3 billion bill, which includes more than $20 billion in what it labeled as “pork projects” and unnecessary spending.

Looks like democrats and republicans have something in common spending money. Think its sad that they attach pork projects to a bill for iraq pullout seems to me like poor taste and disrespect for our troops. Not seeing why they couldnt do that without all the pork. Are democrats that shallow?
Melissa Brown

Maxton, NC

#19 Mar 24, 2007
MtnValueWatch wrote:
Shame on you Mr. Shuler and the rest of those who voted for this measure. You simply placed politics ahead of the lives of our soldiers. Any one that attached pork and other spending bills on something such as important as bill should resign, leave Washington and go home and hide -America does not need that kind of cowardness.
Hear Hear absolutely that is what happen. Great post
Mike

Knightdale, NC

#20 Mar 24, 2007
Sabo wrote:
Won't you people PULL-EASE stop giving Sabo a platform for spouting talking points for NC Party of Greed?
If there's one thing Shuler's shown in office so far, it's that he listens, does his homework, and votes his conscience.
The headline on this story sucks, by the way. Who cares what a bunch of Republicans think? Why didn't you ask some Dems?
Shuler has voted with Nancy Pelosi 100% since he was sworn in. Does that reflect his conscience? HE claimed to have consulted with a lot of people prior to the vote. Not one of those he named was from Western North Carolina. Shuler was not elected to vote for cut and run. Just when was he trained in the military arts to know better than the Commanding general in Iraq? This was a shameful vote that will not be forgotten. If the democrats want to set a deadline to leave Iraq let them have the guts to put that into a stand alone bill and see if that has the votes to pass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walter Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Abbreviated Pundit Round-up:'Draining the swamp... Jan 5 Putz Pence Swamp 1
News Cherokee, Lumbee argue over recognition bill (Apr '07) Oct '16 No Trump 990
News Congress OKs year-end budget deal, sends to Obama (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News A journalistic failure: How the Kevin McCarthy ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Responsibility 5
News House lawmaker files motion to oust Boehner (Jul '15) Jul '15 xxxrayted 4
News No Fast Track: 44 Republicans are voting NO or ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 wild child 1
News Korea veteran receives Purple Heart 64 years later (May '15) May '15 wRDEPT 1
More from around the web