Letter: Herger doesn't follow through

Regarding two recent E-R. articles, it's remarkable, yet sadly not surprising, that our congressman Rep. Full Story
Lone Ranger

Chico, CA

#1 Dec 20, 2010
The thing here is this. You make the mistake of using facts and real figures to make your point. The people that keep voting this useless individual into office won't accept that info. If they did they might have to think about what they do instead of just voting the party line. You, of course, can't be right. Your facts and reasoning will be devalued because you're a (gasp) liberal. Reality will never get through a rock-hard head.Facts don't matter. Only the fact that Wally is a republican.
outraged

AOL

#2 Dec 20, 2010
Why is anyone surprised about any two-faced politician..........from either political party???
Joe Sixpack

Chico, CA

#3 Dec 20, 2010
The Republic Party's private Medicare C and D parallel regular government Medicare, as I understand it. C and D are sacred cows to them because they are taxpayer-financed giveaways to private industry.
Freedom

Orland, CA

#7 Dec 20, 2010
Wish list for the new year:

Wally Herger introduces a bill to eliminate Medicare part D.

La Malfa starts arguing for the elimination of rice subsidies.

Nielsen spends every weekend in his trailer in Gerber.
All Tea Partiers on medicare pay all their medical expenses out of pocket

Obama declares victory and withdraws all troops from Iraq Afghanistan and many other nations around the world.

Nancy Pelosi is appointed Mayor of San Francisco
Observer

Chico, CA

#8 Dec 20, 2010
Herger is quite adroit at saying what (he is told) the local folks want to hear and then voting the way his true constituents, i.e., the people who pay for his re-election, want him to vote.
Frank

Durham, CA

#9 Dec 20, 2010
"Can Herger tell us why he voted for the bill, but then he votes against it?"

No, but Observer just nailed it.
Just Thinking

Vashon, WA

#10 Dec 20, 2010
Well said Eric. Perhaps Wally just forgot. How can he be expected to remember the ever changing party line that he religiously follows. After all, the party has gone from "deficits are critical" to "deficits don't matter" and from opposing earmarks to adding them to everything. Just how much do you expect him to know and remember? Come on now, be fair.
grace

Chico, CA

#11 Dec 20, 2010
The real problem is that the fox watchers do not understand that they are pawns. The recent release of a study that shows the more fox you watch the more misinformed you are.Simply put the rabid fox watchers are like lemmings rushing for the cliff.
Herger Spokesman

Tustin, CA

#12 Dec 20, 2010
YOU!
STOP asking questions!!!!!
Gives You Hell

Chico, CA

#13 Dec 20, 2010
1) Herger wants to get re-elected and will vote/say/do anything that will get him re-elected

2) Herger is a partisan (R) who will do whatever partisan (R) member want him to do

3) The tea party movement was hijacked in 2008 after starting out as the Campaign for Liberty under Ron Paul (this was in 2007). Every republican, being fearful of not winning re-election or making it into office over a rival Democrat became a part of the movement to attract REAL conservatives who aren't the type who tow the party line regardless of who the person is. The tea party is just as useless as the republican party is and in 1/1000000 the amount of time.

4) If we don't make a viable 3rd party in this country, we are done. I don't mean done as in having crappy representatives, I mean done as in completely devalued dollar and removal as the main superpower in the world. Start learning Chinese now if you're smart.

“Hello friend!”

Since: May 09

Mayberry

#15 Dec 21, 2010
If you want to have a truly depressing experience, listen to one of Herger's town hall meetings on the phone. Both the congressman and many of his supporters seem to be suffering some sort of dementia. They seem to communicate in slogans, clicks and grunts.

What really kills me is the assertion our economical situation started with the election of the current president.

One contractor/cabinetmaker in Paradise seemed to be making veiled threats of violence against the President.
Frank

Durham, CA

#16 Dec 21, 2010
I was unable to stay on the phone and still keep my dinner down. Dementia is right.
Wally Herger's delusional positions are so far gone that a reasonable person listening would think he was describing the plot to a novel someone else had written.
bluffian

United States

#17 Dec 27, 2010
Isn't it a strange complaint to make that Herger wants to get re-elected and will do what it takes to do so?

Isn't that the basic theory of responsive democracy? Isn't that true of pretty much every Representative, Senator, and President?

I agree with the letter writer that seemingly contradictory votes provoke a question (I wonder, though, if the writer has actually asked the question of the congressman, rather than just in the paper). But the fact that Herger opposes cuts to Medicare, which would hurt many constituents, both providers and recipients alike, should not be a surprise. Again, that's representative democracy at work.

This is not to say that there is no concern for deficits - the congressman opposes much of this administration's new spending. And yes, I'm aware that the previous administration spent excessively, with a Republican congress. But the spending (and indebtedness) under the current administration is far greater yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wally Herger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
California Rep. Dreier announces plan to retire (Feb '12) Mar '12 torch 4
Gloria Darlene Linch, Red Bluff: SmartMeters (Feb '11) Sep '11 Jeanne S 34
Calif. rep. wants shared sacrifice in debt talks (Sep '11) Sep '11 lastoutlaw 10
Herger in downtown Chico on Tuesday (Aug '11) Aug '11 Angry American 8
Marijuana-legalization push gets voice on Capit... (Dec '10) Jul '11 roaddog 288
House Republicans seek IRS probe of AARP (Mar '11) Jul '11 joey 37
GOP calls for IRS probe of AARP (Apr '11) Jul '11 joey 2
More from around the web