Calif. rep. wants shared sacrifice in...

Calif. rep. wants shared sacrifice in debt talks

There are 10 comments on the Merced Sun-Star story from Sep 4, 2011, titled Calif. rep. wants shared sacrifice in debt talks. In it, Merced Sun-Star reports that:

Shortly before his appointment to the commission charged with tackling the national debt, Democratic Rep.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Merced Sun-Star.

Since: Jul 11

Pasadena, CA

#1 Sep 4, 2011
Awesome!

The author refers to annual budget surpluses. When? Where? Never on the federal level, only in red states.

Then the story gies in about raising taxes, even though Kennedy and Reagan both proved that you income with the increased productivity that comes through tax cuts. And lest we forget all those that survive off if the productivity of others, all hail the Democrat party and their hard won constituency through dependency.

Since: Jul 11

Pasadena, CA

#2 Sep 4, 2011
Sorry about the spelling errors, my phone decided to 'correct' me :(

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#3 Sep 4, 2011
Pay no attention. The speaker was only a "calif" version of a democrat thus unworthy of any citizens trust or respect. For more on the "calif" version of democrats see the Dream Act just passed by the unpatriotic Freaks in Sacramento.
CONSERVATIVE

Homer, GA

#4 Sep 4, 2011
The two questions I keep asking liberals. 1. Where is "the sacrifice and skin" from the approx 47% of those who pay NO federal income tax? 2. How does someone who pays no federal income tax get money back "earned income credit"? I have yet to get any lucid answers. Just talking points, rhetoric, and vitriol. Standard liberal responses to questions they have nothing but answers, that make them look even more inept than they already are. Tea Party 2012!
CONSERVATIVE

Homer, GA

#5 Sep 4, 2011
Alamitos Eric wrote:
Pay no attention. The speaker was only a "calif" version of a democrat thus unworthy of any citizens trust or respect. For more on the "calif" version of democrats see the Dream Act just passed by the unpatriotic Freaks in Sacramento.
If cali wants to PAY for all the expense of granting crimminals amnesty fine. The problem is cali's debt is bigger than some countries entire economies! The problem with that is they are so far in debt for their "good intentions" they can't fund their own welfare state! So the federal gov't subsidizes it. That means everyone who pays federal taxes is helping pay cali's welfare tab! So even if you don't live in cali you are PAYING FOR THIER STUPIDITY! And they want to EXPAND IT?! Enough is enough! To stop the stupidity vote Tea Party 2012!
Phestus

Frisco, TX

#6 Sep 4, 2011
I say we taxpayers can keep footing the bill for earned income credit and child credits - in exchange for them not being able to vote. How can a person that pays NOTHING in taxes....even have a say-so in how the country is ran or what the government spends OUR money on????

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#7 Sep 5, 2011
Phestus wrote:
I say we taxpayers can keep footing the bill for earned income credit and child credits - in exchange for them not being able to vote. How can a person that pays NOTHING in taxes....even have a say-so in how the country is ran or what the government spends OUR money on????
You are the voice of reason in a sea of insanity. In the pitiful, deficit ridden, remains of UnionCrat California, the Big Bro/Big Union/Big Govt Left is making nothing but tax slaves of all non Union families in support of illegal aliens, welfare slugs, and others who only want to sqeeze the life out of their middle class neighbors.

The good news is that there are only a handful of States, like California, where citizens are so sadistic, or masochistic, that they are still vote to be Slave States or so called "Blue States".
Sick of Stupid

Davenport, IA

#8 Sep 5, 2011
CONSERVATIVE wrote:
The two questions I keep asking liberals. 1. Where is "the sacrifice and skin" from the approx 47% of those who pay NO federal income tax? 2. How does someone who pays no federal income tax get money back "earned income credit"? I have yet to get any lucid answers. Just talking points, rhetoric, and vitriol. Standard liberal responses to questions they have nothing but answers, that make them look even more inept than they already are. Tea Party 2012!
Who are these 47% of Americans who pay not taxes?
I would sure like to meet them. I do not know anybody who pays no taxes. That is a false statement, no matter where you got your number from it just ain't true.

I am not participating in the "shared sacrifice", I consider myself part of the colateral damage of the recession.
I have a house I owe 70K more on then it is worth. I own a small business, I have created a job or 2. I pay 32% of my income in taxes, and I did not create any of these problems. So leave me out of the "shared sacrifice" horsesh!t.

How about we start by cutting the pay to all elected officials. Then kick all the lobbyists out. Then tax the crap out of any Ameriucan corporation that uses foreign labor and manufacturing. Then get all our people out of the Middle-east. Then stop the war on drugs, and just turn it into the DEA stopping the flow of drugs across the border.

And change the tax rate on coprorate profits to 75%. Executive bonuses should be taxed 60%.

Illegal aliens are not the problem. Welfare recipients are not the problem. Medicare is not the problem. Crooked Banks, and Corporations who put the bottom line first are the problem.
x-nutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Sep 5, 2011
Sick of Stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are these 47% of Americans who pay not taxes?
I would sure like to meet them. I do not know anybody who pays no taxes. That is a false statement, no matter where you got your number from it just ain't true.
I am not participating in the "shared sacrifice", I consider myself part of the colateral damage of the recession.
I have a house I owe 70K more on then it is worth. I own a small business, I have created a job or 2. I pay 32% of my income in taxes, and I did not create any of these problems. So leave me out of the "shared sacrifice" horsesh!t.
How about we start by cutting the pay to all elected officials. Then kick all the lobbyists out. Then tax the crap out of any Ameriucan corporation that uses foreign labor and manufacturing. Then get all our people out of the Middle-east. Then stop the war on drugs, and just turn it into the DEA stopping the flow of drugs across the border.
And change the tax rate on coprorate profits to 75%. Executive bonuses should be taxed 60%.
Illegal aliens are not the problem. Welfare recipients are not the problem. Medicare is not the problem. Crooked Banks, and Corporations who put the bottom line first are the problem.
To be more specific it's 47% who pay zero income tax after their yearly IRS filing. Especially those who get EIC and get their paid in SS amounts reimbursed.

The taxes they DO pay are sales taxes , cig and gas etc.

As to corp. income taxes they just get passed on to you and I.
Plus it's a known fact that the higher the taxes the more " Lobbyists " are employed to get special interest tax breaks for their clients.
As to taxing " Bonuses " how do I determine what part of your income should be taxed at 32% or 60%? Maybe instead of repairing a roof or upgrading your biz computers you spent $20,000 buying " Bling " for your wife or GF ( cause for consumption tax).

The answer to " Fair Share of Taxes " is a national sales tax with food exempt and a higher individual tax ememption. We already have Fed. sales taxes on tobacco and gas/diesel.

Tax individual consumption not individual income . This will be progressive as the rich buy $90,000 autos , the middle-class $30,000 autos and the poor $4000 autos .
lastoutlaw

Waipahu, HI

#10 Sep 5, 2011
I have no problem with 'shared sacrifices' so long as:

1)- Those sacrifices are shared BY ALL, and
2)- Those sacrifices are worth of the name.

These exemptions, where 47% of the population ultimately either pays NO taxes at all (everything withheld during the year refunded) or pay nothing AND GET EIC on top of it must end. Freedom is not free. Our soldiers die so we can enjoy the benefits of this Republic.
Living here shouldn't be free either. Why should those who work hard to become successful have to pay the bulk of the taxes? Welfare is income; it should be taxed. Everybody should share in the cost of maintaining our nation - or NOBODY should.
It's that simple.
Freedom is not free - nor should benefiting from the freest nation in the world. Everybody should pay something, regardless of their income. Call it a 'tithe'. Call it a 'tribute'. Call it whatever. But all should be required to contribute to the success of our country - instead of taking from it.
Percentage based tax with no exemptions. No different than the sales tax, except on income. Flat percentage. Sure - the more successful (high income) seems to pay less - but 20% is 20%. Cant' afford it? Get a better job, get better educated, come up with an idea you can market and increase your earnings. The more you make; the more you keep.
And you STILL only pay 20% to the tax man.
Those who don't pay?
Don't deserve the Escalades they're driving. Learn to live within your means or have your income docked. No income? Nobody's making you stay. Go somewhere that will support you.
England, perhaps.
And in a budget crunch; those responsible for the fiscal stability of this nation should be the FIRST to see their budgets cut. They're obviously not doing their jobs correctly; penalize them. They'll learn quickly.
This is a Capitalist Society - founded on profit and investment. It's not (or wasn't) Socialist; which redistributes the wealth, deters investment and eliminated incentive.
When the money runs out (and it will); then what?
These Democrats want to practice European-style Socialism? Them to go Europe and practice it there. I'd like to keep the money I earn. I've no problem paying taxes; so long as EVERYBODY who receives an income also pays an equal percentage r their gross earnings. Again - WELFARE IS INCOME. And it's a vast, untapped resource. Much higher (all aspects such as EBT, Medical, WIC, Section 8, etc. included). And as a total, much higher than the National Minimum Wage - which is TAXABLE income.
Time to tap it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wally Herger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California Rep. Dreier announces plan to retire (Feb '12) Mar '12 torch 4
News Gloria Darlene Linch, Red Bluff: SmartMeters (Feb '11) Sep '11 Jeanne S 34
News Herger in downtown Chico on Tuesday (Aug '11) Aug '11 Angry American 8
News Marijuana-legalization push gets voice on Capit... (Dec '10) Jul '11 roaddog 288
News House Republicans seek IRS probe of AARP (Mar '11) Jul '11 joey 37
News GOP calls for IRS probe of AARP (Apr '11) Jul '11 joey 2
News New political district maps will reshape state ... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Roudy 1
More from around the web